none
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Question

• Hi,

I'm getting the follwoing error when trying to deploy a policy. Rebooting the server seems to fix the issue. Does anyone know what's causing this? I would like to deploy a policy out without rebooting every time.

I also tried backing up and restoring and that didn't fix the issue. I got the same error when trying to restore.

Thanks.

Deploy GPO: Desktop Policies - Windows Settings...Failed

The overall error was: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Additional details follow.

[GPMC Error] An error occurred during the restore task, and the GPO could not be rolled back to its original state. You should reattempt the restore.
    The following error occurred:
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 actions failed.

Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that the following error message is received when trying to deploy the Group Policy.

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Now open up gpedit.msc on the problematic server.

User Configuration
    Administrative Templates
    System
    Group Policy

Change the following policy

"Group Policy domain controller selection"

Enable this and set it to use "Use any available domain controller"

Close gpedit.msc and run gpupdate /force

Try to deploy policy again.

Does it work?

If this problem continues, please collect the Setup&Performance version of MPSReport from the problematic server.

a. Download the MPS Report Tool from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd915706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE

b. After the download is complete, double-click this " MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE" file. Then a CAB file will be generated called %COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. For example, if your computer name is "MyComputer", this CAB file will be named "MyComputer_MPSReports.CAB".

c. Open My Computer, browse to the "%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Logs\CAB" folder. You can find the CAB file above and please send it to me.

Use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give me the download address.

Hope this helps.

Friday, July 03, 2009 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that the following error message is received when trying to deploy the Group Policy.

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Now open up gpedit.msc on the problematic server.

User Configuration
    Administrative Templates
    System
    Group Policy

Change the following policy

"Group Policy domain controller selection"

Enable this and set it to use "Use any available domain controller"

Close gpedit.msc and run gpupdate /force

Try to deploy policy again.

Does it work?

If this problem continues, please collect the Setup&Performance version of MPSReport from the problematic server.

a. Download the MPS Report Tool from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd915706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE

b. After the download is complete, double-click this " MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE" file. Then a CAB file will be generated called %COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. For example, if your computer name is "MyComputer", this CAB file will be named "MyComputer_MPSReports.CAB".

c. Open My Computer, browse to the "%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Logs\CAB" folder. You can find the CAB file above and please send it to me.

Use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give me the download address.

Hope this helps.

Friday, July 03, 2009 10:37 AM
  • This worked for me.   I opened up GPMC, Group Policy management --> Forest --> Domains --> <your domain name> --> (right-click:  Change Domain Controller 'Any Available Domain Controller') --> OK.    Then exit out of GPMC.   Launch cmd.exe --> gpupdate /force.  Launch GPMC it again.   Then goto AGPM pending tab and deploy.   
    • Edited by J Westerman Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:28 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:59 PM