none
Windows 7: Windows cannot connect to the printer 0x0000007e

Question

• I wonder if there is some way of debugging why the driver fails. The drivers are shared from a Windows 2003 R2 server, and our clients are Windows 7 Enterprise x86.

The full URL of the driver is http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=431039&prodNameId=431042&swEnvOID=2093&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=pl-28280-4
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:01 AM

Answers

• I consulted with an HP print driver developer, he was the one who suggested deleting the key.  That was in 2005.  It has not caused a problem since.

The hot fix corrects an issue when the print driver changes the default file location and the spooler does not reset and loses track of where the next file is.  The issue you are hitting is a setting on the printer that points to a 32bit version of a driver file which the 64  client bit machine (your client should be 64 bit) will not download.

HP does not setup the pointer to the file when installing the printer using the 64bit version of the driver on the server so they have addressed this when installing the printer on 64bit.

The reg key on the machine sharing the printer is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\PRINTERNAME\CopyFiles\BIDI

there will be an entry for spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\hpcpn6de.dll which you can delete so the clients can connect.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/winserverprint/thread/44CA5958-4588-4710-B231-A4A5EBDB3611

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that HP Designjet 4000ps PostScript Driver cannot work properly on Windows 7 Enterprise X86.

I find that this driver is for Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows Server 2003/Windows Server 2008. So, I would like to confirm if it can work properly on the above operating systems.

If so, I recommend contacting HP support to check if it can be installed properly on Windows 7.

Meanwhile, you may try to manually install this driver on Windows 7 and then connect to this network printer for test.

In addition, we may want to analyze memory dump file to narrow down the cause of this issue, forum is not the best place for analyzing dump. It’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope this helps.

Friday, September 04, 2009 2:16 AM
  • The spooler on Windows 7 losses the driver path location.  Install the QFE or SP1 for Windows 7.  The driver gets installed so when you restart the spooler, then make the connection, the client spooler takes a different code path when creating the connection since the driver does not need to be installed.
    Friday, March 04, 2011 6:20 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that HP Designjet 4000ps PostScript Driver cannot work properly on Windows 7 Enterprise X86.

I find that this driver is for Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows Server 2003/Windows Server 2008. So, I would like to confirm if it can work properly on the above operating systems.

If so, I recommend contacting HP support to check if it can be installed properly on Windows 7.

Meanwhile, you may try to manually install this driver on Windows 7 and then connect to this network printer for test.

In addition, we may want to analyze memory dump file to narrow down the cause of this issue, forum is not the best place for analyzing dump. It’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope this helps.

Friday, September 04, 2009 2:16 AM
  • these plotters are out of support so I am not allowed to contact HP. I've tried posting at their forums but they are left unanswered.  i might try contacting microsoft for help
    Monday, September 21, 2009 11:50 AM
  • I had the same issue. it seems to me this error appears when the driver on the client does not match the driver on the server. here is what has worked for me:

the problem was in the language of the installation. the English driver was installed on the print server. when i was trying to connect to that printer from a Windows 7 machine i got the same error. the user interface was in English, however the "Language for non-Unicode programs" (Control Panels - Region and Language - Administrative) was set to Czech so the computer was trying to install the Czech version of the driver according to the system settings. when I set the "Language for non-unicode programs" to English, the installation worked fine for me and the error has disappeared. once the printer was connected i could set the "Language for non-unicode programs" option back to Czech.
    • Proposed as answer by TomazicM Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:13 AM
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:25 PM
  • I had the same issue. it seems to me this error appears when the driver on the client does not match the driver on the server. here is what has worked for me:

the problem was in the language of the installation. the English driver was installed on the print server. when i was trying to connect to that printer from a Windows 7 machine i got the same error. the user interface was in English, however the "Language for non-Unicode programs" (Control Panels - Region and Language - Administrative) was set to Czech so the computer was trying to install the Czech version of the driver according to the system settings. when I set the "Language for non-unicode programs" to English, the installation worked fine for me and the error has disappeared. once the printer was connected i could set the "Language for non-unicode programs" option back to Czech.

I can confirm this behaviour. In my case "Language for non-Unicode" was set to Slovenian and I was trying to connect to network printer HP Color LaserJet 5550 on Windows Server 2003. I always got 0x0000007e error. When I set "Language for non-Unicode" to English it went OK.

- Mitja

Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:19 AM
  • All,

I had the same issue on two PC's running Windows 7 Ultimate x64...

One PC has the "Language for non-Unicode" setting wrong, and after setting them back to English the printer install worked.

The second PC was showing the same 0x0000007e error, but the "Language for non-Unicode" settings were fine.

Here's how to fix this error if you also notice that your "Language for non-Unicode" setting are correct:

1.  Download the latest Windows 7 printer drivers (be sure to choose x32 or x64 depending on your machine) from the manufacturers website.  I am installing an HP Laserjet 5550N in my case, and I downloaded the latest PCL6 drivers for Windows 7 x64 and extracted them on my macine.

2.  Go to the extraction folder and run the setup.exe or install.exe program.  This part was new to me but very slick... the driver installation loaded and asked me to provide the location of the printer I wanted to install.

3.  Choose to install a "network printer" and select it from the list.  Hit next.

4.  At this point you can either select to find updated driver from Windows Update or choose "have disc" to manually select the *.inf file that was extracted via the driver download.  I actually chose the Windows Update option for fun and grins, and it searched, located, and properly installed the correct drivers for my machine automatically.

5.  Print a test page once you complete the rest of the installation screens.  Note:  Depending on your installation package, you may have slightly different setup screens but I suspect that the steps would be very similar.

So, in reality I never used the drivers that I downloaded since Windows Update found them for me.  The end result is this though... you can add a network printer that is hosted on Windows Server 2003 to a Window 7 machine if you install the drivers locally but specify that you want to use the network printer (select the printer from the list or provide it's IP address).

I still haven't found a way to actually host the Windows 7 drivers on the Windows 2003 print server though, but with this fix you don't need to.  You can still install and print to the network printer with the drivers installed locally.  If I'm not mistaken, when you install a printer from a printer server the drivers are still installed locally... it's just the print server is your driver source rather than downloading and extracting the same drivers locally.  So as I see it, my method is the "same difference"

I hope this helps!

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Having this same very frustrating 0x0000007e issue on many Windows 7 Pro clients both with Canon UFR irC drivers and HP drivers, both upgrades and new installs. Reading Jakubk2's post led me to try to delete the driver from the local machine (in devices and printers , by the way, "print server properties" will only appear when you open devices and printers and then open a printer object).  Once in server properties, delete the driver (you will have to delete any printer partially installed with the driver you are deleting, and maybe restart the spooler service). Once done, try again. This has worked for me. 

• Proposed as answer by Jefe.Sioux Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Check for PrintService event log errors about mscms.dll
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:24 AM
    Answerer
  • To all of you talking about how to manually install drivers: This is unbearable for me. You cannot have hundreds of PCs using manually installed drivers.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 6:47 AM
  • That is just a question :

Did you use Ninite web site to install applications before having this error?

Did you use an MSDN version of Windows 7?

We have the same problem here with a brand new installation from our MSDN.

Thanks,

V.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:55 PM
  • pickup the hotfix

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982728/en-us

"Windows cannot connect to printer" error message when you try to create a Point and Print connection to a remote printer from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based client computer

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    • Proposed as answer by Sinkemlow Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:39 PM
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:01 AM
    Answerer
  • This hotfix doesnt help!

• Proposed as answer by SUSD Tech guy Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:27 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Here's our situation and how we resolved it.  We use all Hp printers.  The PCL 6 universal driver from HP seems to have a problem with Win 7 Pro.  Win 7 ultimate did not give us any trouble.

So what we did was load the universal PCL 5 driver on our print server and it worked fine.  Just make sure, before you try to add the printer to the win 7 client, that you delete the PCL 6 driver first (from the client).  Otherwise, it will still give you problems.

• Proposed as answer by msjjohnson1 Monday, September 29, 2014 10:02 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:33 PM
  • We have the exact same issues with several different brand printers, Lexmark, Ricoh, HP, etc ranging from all models running on a 2003 print server. If I start --> Run \\<server_name> and double click any printer it fails. It tries to look it up online and says no driver found and asks me to browse locally. These are printers that are listed supported by the Windows 7, for example the Lexmark T610. Even if I browse the AD and try it through the wizard I get the exact same error. i've even tried adding the drivers from the Windows 7 workstation to the server via the Print Management console in Windows 7 with the same results. If anyone knows the fix please let me know.

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Peter2012 Friday, October 08, 2010 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Totally different issue, the fix is for the 7e error.  Your issue is the driver name installed on 2003 server does not match the driver name that the 64bit Windows 7 machine will use if you connected the printer directly to the computer.  Install 64bit print drivers that use the same name as the 32bit drivers onto your print server and the 64bit clients will load them from the server.

There are several ways to accomplish this, read the UI dialogs when they ask for files and point to the files requested.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2010/01/19/print-driver-installation-on-32-bit-versus-64-bit-servers.aspx

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:21 PM
    Answerer
  • What about when there are no drivers to download to point to? I know how to add additional drivers but when the company's website doesn't give you the option to download the driver saying it's supported by the OS, what then? Most of the Lexmark we have on the print server only give you the option to download the "Universal" print driver which the server rejects instantly. Or, for example, the Laserjet 5si we have, there's not even an option to download at all, just a link which tells you it's already supported in the OS. If it's already supported by the OS, why doesn't Windows 7 load it's own drivers?
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:04 PM
  • I have answered my own question, when there are no drivers to download, using print management, you can get the drivers from windows update. I was looking and things like the 5si weren't listed on my Windows 7 machine even though HP Said it was there. Using Windows update when loading the drivers allowed me to download them and add them to the print server as an X64. it'll take time since we've got about 100 printers on the server but it seems to be working. Just wanted to post a heads up to anyone still having an issue.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:13 PM
  • pickup the hotfix

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982728/en-us

"Windows cannot connect to printer" error message when you try to create a Point and Print connection to a remote printer from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based client computer

Tnanks. In our situation (print server - 2008r2, client - win7, fix installed on client) this hotfix resolved problem.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 11:29 AM
  • This hotfix looks to have solved the issue for us when pushing out our HP UPDs PCL 5 (v5.1). Thank you!
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:25 PM
  • We have the exact same issues with several different brand printers, Lexmark, Ricoh, HP, etc ranging from all models running on a 2003 print server. If I start --> Run \\<server_name> and double click any printer it fails. It tries to look it up online and says no driver found and asks me to browse locally. These are printers that are listed supported by the Windows 7, for example the Lexmark T610. Even if I browse the AD and try it through the wizard I get the exact same error. i've even tried adding the drivers from the Windows 7 workstation to the server via the Print Management console in Windows 7 with the same results. If anyone knows the fix please let me know.

It doesn't quite match your error message, but the root cause may be because you are running a 2003 print server. This problem occurs because Windows 7 tries to communicate with the print server by using the Asynchronous RPC protocol. However, this protocol is supported only by Windows Server 2008 and later versions. This protocol is not supported by Windows Server 2003.

There's a registry fix at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2269469

-mike
    grimadmin.com

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:31 PM

It doesn't quite match your error message, but the root cause may be because you are running a 2003 print server. This problem occurs because Windows 7 tries to communicate with the print server by using the Asynchronous RPC protocol. However, this protocol is supported only by Windows Server 2008 and later versions. This protocol is not supported by Windows Server 2003.

There's a registry fix at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2269469

-mike
    grimadmin.com

I had the same problem too, in my case seems the problem was that the print server was windows 2000 im perform a paralel print server to the same printer in windows 2003 and use windows update to actualize the drivers list, install it the correct drivers in this case was hp9050 pcl6 and when im attach the windows 7 machines to this print server goes fine

any concern

edo60@hotmail.com

regards

Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:10 PM
  • For all of you who have problem with Lexmark printer windows 7 drivers that can not be downloaded from the print servers (either 32 or 64 bit win 2003 or win 2008):  the windows 7 universal driver from Lexmark will work on any Lexmark printer and could be downloaded from the print servers to your windows 7 workstations if you uninstall all the existing drivers from the print server.  The best way is delete the current printer from the print server and re-install the same printer with the universal driver.  The universal driver will work on all the platforms: winXP, win2003, win7... Make sure you pick the correct driver for your OS: 32 or 64 bit.
    Friday, October 08, 2010 4:07 PM
  • After doing intensiver research, numerous failed attempts (re-entering computer to domain, uninstall drivers manually, upgrading server drivers, ect.), Here is what worked for me:

1. Remote Desktop the computer with the problem (from a computer that has printers set up correctly),

-leave local printers to map on remote computer.

2.Log in to remote computer.

3.Once your local printers map on the remote computer, add the printers from the add printer wizards

-Worked without a problem

4. Log out.

5.Have user log in to his desktop, printer should be mapped.

My config+user permitions:

Me=Win7 Pro x64, printer permision to admin rights

User=Win 7 Pro x64, printer to print and manage docs only

• Proposed as answer by Paul C-MC Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:25 AM
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:51 AM
  • I tried several of these suggestions with no luck.  However adding the printer using a TCP/IP port address and allowing Windows to query the device for the driver worked.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:27 AM
  • That's been my experience, also. Not much help when I need to create them via a batch file or such. We have around 12 network printers and access varies based on the area they user is in. I need to be able to create them in batches not one by one.

--------

Regards,
    Hank Arnold
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Server - Directory Services
    http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 11/16/2010 8:27 PM, Paul C-MC wrote:

I tried several of these suggestions with no luck.  However adding the printer using a TCP/IP port address and allowing Windows to query the device for the driver worked.

Regards, Hank Arnold (MVP - DS)
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:33 AM
  • We have a Rico 5501 Color Laser Copier/printer and Windows 7 64 - applying the Hotfix and then using the IP address and asking for the Ricoh local driver to be replaced by the driver from the device worked.

Thanks to Paul and Alan!!!  Needed both to get it done.

Monday, February 14, 2011 4:38 PM
  • as an update to this thread, the printers have started working okay. so I think something has been done from Microsoft's side, as I am still using the same drivers from the print shares (not 100% certain about this, as there are other admins).
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:57 AM
  • I also got the error 0x0000007e when I tried to install the latest HP UPD (PCL6, x64) on Windows 7 (x64) from Windows Server 2003 (x86). The driver was installed, but the printer couldn't be connected.

It didn't help to change the language at "Language for non-Unicode programs" from German to English and it was not possible to install this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982728/en-us
    Error: This Update is not applicable for your computer
    :-(

So I removed the driver package and succeeded later in installing the same printer with HP UPD (x64) from Windows Server 2008 R2.

Later I removed again the driver package and tried again to install this printer (HP CM2320nf)
    from Windows Server 2003 (x86): this time it worked!

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:37 PM
  • I am also experiencing this issue, except none of the above worked for me yet.

I checked the Language for non-unicode programs, and it was already set to english...   I downloaded the hotfix, and my Win2008 R2 SP1 server said "this update is not applicable to your computer".

I have only loaded Canon PCL5 drivers so far, so it cant be an issue with PCL6 either.

I dont get this issue when testing loading the drivers from a WinXP 32bit or Win7 32bit machine, only Win7 64bit.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 4:09 PM
  • I am also having this issue with Canon PCL driver.  the server is 2003 R2 32 and the clients are Windows XP, 7 32 and 64 bit.   The XP clients install without any issues. Windows 7 give an error of "Cannot Connect 0x0000007e.   We stumbled on to a work around and it seems to work but I can't figure it out.  When we try to install the print driver it gives us and error 0x0000007e.  We restarted the print spool on the Windows 7 computers and after the service has been restarted it add the print driver fine!   What would be causing this in Win7?

Friday, March 04, 2011 5:44 PM
  • The spooler on Windows 7 losses the driver path location.  Install the QFE or SP1 for Windows 7.  The driver gets installed so when you restart the spooler, then make the connection, the client spooler takes a different code path when creating the connection since the driver does not need to be installed.
    Friday, March 04, 2011 6:20 PM
    Answerer
  • sadly this issue persists even after SP1 install, any other idea?

thanks,

rik

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Even more sadly, MS continues to use hex codes despite the fact it is no longer 1975.
    Working in C++ reminds me that some things are almost as illogical as Microsoft
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:15 AM
  • I have tried all the fixes listed here including the Hotfix and Windows 7 sp1, We finally got the drivers working but when we tried to add the network printer from the server we still get a "cannot connect to printer" error message at the end with the 0x0000007e error.  We are able to add the printer locally and it works fine, but we have a datatbase that uses the network printer and sets different trays and option for special printing so we must use the network printer.  Any other ideas on how to get the windows 7 x64 machine to load the server printer?
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:31 PM
  • The only other issue I know of when you can get this error is with printers using drivers from HP.com.  Usually a Universal driver but there are others.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:17 PM
    Answerer
  • OK, the windows 7 x64 machine has a local port on it for the same printer with the HP universal driver installed.  The WS2003 x32 server has the LJ2430 installed with the latest HP PCL 6 drivers.  I went to additional drivers on the WS2003 machine and checked the x64 version and that was how I was able to get past the driver warning we got first.  SO do you think I should remove all the drivers from the W7 x64 machine and try adding the network printer then?

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Last Night i removed the local LJ2430 printer and deleted the drivers from the W7 print server. Then I tried once again to add the WS03 server printer. I still get a "Canot connect to Printer" error 0x0000007e. Iwas able to install another WS03 printer from the server to the W7x64 machine. It was a Cannon Copier/ printer. so it sounds like the HP drivers might be the issue. I just do not know what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:19 PM

I also have SP1 installed on both my Win 2008R2 and Win 7 x64 machines and still get that error.

I tried restarting the spooler service on each, and the printer installed after the client spooler was restarted (server first).

I dont really consider that a valid fix though because this wont work for me to roll out printers via automation.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Take a look at the Event log on under Application and Services / Microsoft / Windows / PrintService /Admin

If you see an event on the Windows 7 clients stating the module load failure for hp???.dll, you should contact HP, or remove the registry key associated with the printer on the server.

http://www.networksteve.com/windows/topic.php/32bit_windows_7_can't_add_network_printers/?TopicId=18606&Posts=1

Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Alan,

If you remove the registry key associated with the printer won't that affect machines that are not having the problem.

I'm getting the following 808 error for HP Color LaserJet 4600 PCL6 printer " 

"The print spooler failed to load a plug-in module spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\hpcpn6de.dll, error code 0x7e. See the event user data for context information."

Any suggestions?

Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Also I forgot to mention I downloaded and installed the hotfix and I still get the error 0x000007e
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:17 AM
  • I consulted with an HP print driver developer, he was the one who suggested deleting the key.  That was in 2005.  It has not caused a problem since.

The hot fix corrects an issue when the print driver changes the default file location and the spooler does not reset and loses track of where the next file is.  The issue you are hitting is a setting on the printer that points to a 32bit version of a driver file which the 64  client bit machine (your client should be 64 bit) will not download.

HP does not setup the pointer to the file when installing the printer using the 64bit version of the driver on the server so they have addressed this when installing the printer on 64bit.

The reg key on the machine sharing the printer is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\PRINTERNAME\CopyFiles\BIDI

there will be an entry for spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\hpcpn6de.dll which you can delete so the clients can connect.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/winserverprint/thread/44CA5958-4588-4710-B231-A4A5EBDB3611

Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:07 PM
    Answerer
  • SCENARIO: Print Server Windows Server 2003 R2, station Windows 7 with 64-bit and HP LaserJet P4015n

PROBLEM: Windows 7 64-bit stations can not add HP LaserJet P4015n from print server Windows Server 2003 R2 showing the error 0x000007e

SOLUTION: In the print server, delete the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\[PrinterName]\CopyFiles\BIDI"

CAUSE: The station of user was trying to access a path that the 64-bit operating systems do not recognize as valid: "spool\drivers\w32x86\3". This path is set in the printer settings on the Print Server.

• Proposed as answer by Greg Malleus Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:42 AM

• SCENARIO: Print Server Windows Server 2003 R2, station Windows 7 with 64-bit and HP LaserJet P4015n

PROBLEM: Windows 7 64-bit stations can not add HP LaserJet P4015n from print server Windows Server 2003 R2 showing the error 0x000007e

SOLUTION: In the print server, delete the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\[PrinterName]\CopyFiles\BIDI"

CAUSE: The station of user was trying to access a path that the 64-bit operating systems do not recognize as valid: "spool\drivers\w32x86\3". This path is set in the printer settings on the Print Server.

This solved my problem.  I have a bunch of HP Printers on Server 2003 R2 and we are upgrading all our machines to Windows 7.  The 64 bit machines were giving the 0x0000007e error.  Deleting the registry key worked for getting past it.  Also was still able to add the printer to x32 machines after the key was deleted.  Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by DHeck Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:52 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Thanks for your clear information.  I'm trying to get printers to install on 500 Win7 PCs via GPO and some are failing.  When I try to manually connect I get the error.  Tried this for one and it fixed it right away.   I forced a Group Policy update and rebooted and now a 2nd one I have deleted the key on installed.  Looks like a fix to me.

Dave

• Edited by DHeck Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:52 PM
  • I am getting the same error message, but my issue appears to be different from what others are experiencing above...

Client is Win7 Enterprise x64.  Print Server is Server2008r2 Standard x64.

All queues on the print server use either the HP UPD PS 5.1 or the HP UPD PCL6 5.1 drivers.

When connecting to the queue, the Win7 client gets the Cannot connect to the printer, 0x0000007e error message.

The bigger issue is that this issue is only happening this particular print server. We have 250 other print servers that are working fine and use the same drivers.  If the driver is already loaded on the client (either manually installed or installed by connecting to a queue on a different print server), it works fine.  The drivers have been removed and reloaded from our driver repository, but we're still getting the same error. There is some issue with the print server and we have been unable to figure it out. 

Again, the issue does not appear when the same client machine connects to a queue on a different print server using the same driver. The issue is only happening when connecting to a queue on this particular server. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Friday, May 20, 2011 2:50 PM
  • I assume you already verified the printers BIDI registry key does not contain a pointer to a 32bit driver file.

D:\>winerror 0x7e
       126 ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND <--> 0xc0000135 STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND

So there is some file missing on this print server that the 250 other 64bit print servers that are working has.

I also assume:Client is running Windows 7 SP1

: You have created a couple of test printers using Universal drivers on the server and these also fail for the 64bit clients and that when you set up test printers using PS and PCL drivers included with Windows, the client can make the connection.

: you have reinstalled the print drivers on the server.

Now it's just a matter of tracking down what dll file is missing on the one server for the HP driver. 

Compare the files used by the driver between working / non working machine

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3\DriverName

compare dependent files as well as any reg key with file or path.

Friday, May 20, 2011 4:14 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Muskoka

this worked for me too

Thank you

Jefe Sioux
    • Proposed as answer by Sargey Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sargey Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:46 PM
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:47 PM
  • We had the same problem with the Universal print driver from HP.

Client – Windows 7 32bit
    Server – Server 2008 64bit

All I did was go into the registry on the SERVER to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\PRINTERNAME\

and delete the “copyfiles” key in full.

Tried to add the printer again and it worked no probs!

Happy days!

• Proposed as answer by Sargey Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:47 PM
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi - Thanks for your answers. But I am not able to see the "Copyfiles" key in the location you have mentioned. I am using Windows 2008 server 64 bit. And getting the issue while adding in W7 64 bit machines.

Please help me.

Monday, September 12, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Windows 7 with SP1?
    • Proposed as answer by sbrickma Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by sbrickma Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:41 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:28 PM
    Answerer
  • my only solution at this point for this problem is to roll back windows 7 SP1 and everything works fine (this is the machine connected to the printer) -- my clients vary from win7 home premium and starter to XP.   
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Deleteing the Registry Key worked for me. Thanks
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Server Windows 2008 R2  Client Windows 7 SP1 - error connecting  to HP LJ5000 0x000007e  Tried each of the registry deletions. Deleting the copyfiles directory was the one that worked for me.

Thanks for the help. Been living with this issue for about a year now.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Deleting registry help for us, thanks

We have print server Windows server 2003 R2 and clients Windows 7 (prof or ent, 32 or 64 bit) who some of these has problem to install new drivers for new printers.

We changed printers from HP or Sharp to new ones Konica Minolta printers. I have checked the registry on the server and I saw there are some old keys belongs to old HP printers. I have just compared with "no problem" printers share name and delete the old keys for HP.

delete from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\PRINTER01

: CopyFiles, DMCDriverData, HPPresetRoot

Friday, November 11, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Hi all, To be clear, the CopyFiles reg key is on the print server itself, not on the client, and it applies to legacy print queues that were converted from HP print queues to another brand. Newly created queues for non-HP printers do not suffer from the dreaded 0x0000007e (Win32:ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND) error. (Hey Microsoft! How about recreating print queue registry entries on the print server when drivers are changed so that this doesn't happen anymore?)
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:32 PM
  • THANKS!!! Solved my issue as well! This issue was driving me insane, too bad HP/MS haven't been able to fix this issue. But unless you change the driver the printer is using on the server, then your reg edit should be fine. I notice that if you change the driver for the printer not working, it will re-create the copyfile folder. and you will need to rename it again.

Thanks a million!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Alan --

Your post is a godsend for our group, as we've been dealing with this problem for the past 3-4 years on Vista and now Win7 client machines (connecting to Server 2003, Server 2008, and Server 2008 R2 print servers), and originally dismissed it as a client-side issue, as our HP and Microsoft support contacts were not able to help us at all (other than use the latest print drivers, and Microsoft blaming HP without any hint of a work-around or fix).  After re-installing the print queues (on the server) from scratch to performing extensive cached print driver and queue cleanup on the clients, nothing permanently fixed the issue.  We've had so many users who initially were able to connect and print to HP network printers, and after a variable amount of time (2 weeks to 2 months), they would no longer be able to printer and reconnecting the printer would be impossible due to vague Microsoft errors when attempting to re-connect to the network print queue (both with and without extensive cached driver / queue cleanup on the client).

Based on your post, I have created a VBScript that can be run on the server side that will automatically enumerate the [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers] key and delete the "CopyFiles" sub-key for any printer in the list.  I know that per your recommendation, only deleting the "BIDI" sub-key is necessary, but since the "BIDI" key is the only key / value data present under "CopyFiles" on our servers, we are deleting the whole "CopyFiles" sub-key.

Here is the source code:

Option Explicit Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002 Dim oReg Dim strComputer, strPrintKeyPath, arrSubKeys, arrSubKeys2, subkey, subkey2 strComputer = "." Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & _ strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv") strPrintKeyPath = "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers" Call oReg.EnumKey(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strPrintKeyPath, arrSubKeys) For Each subkey In arrSubKeys Call oReg.EnumKey(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strPrintKeyPath & "\" & subkey, arrSubKeys2) For Each subkey2 In arrSubKeys2 If subkey2 = "CopyFiles" Then Call oReg.DeleteKey(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strPrintKeyPath & "\" & subkey & "\" & subkey2) End If Next Next

The script currently is set to run *on* the actual print server, but this code could be easily modified to accept a server name as a command-line argument, allowing the script to be run remotely, since it would only need to be run from an account with read/write access to the registry on the remote machine.

Regards,

Anthony Paolilli

• Edited by apaolilli Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:02 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hi all.

I solved this anoying problem deleting the regkey "Copyfile" on the print server.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Wow, I didn't think this would work but it did. Thank you for this post.
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Manual deletion of the key works great.  For the above VBS code.  Is there anything that needs to be modified?  Keep getting "Object Not a collection" error.

2003 server.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:30 PM
  • I was getting the 0x0000007e error from my client machine as well, and this solution worked for me -- with some tweaking.  I had two HP LaserJet P4015 printers, on our Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit) print server.  When I pathed to the one, it installed directly to my Windows 7 64-bit client without a problem; but the same model printer using the same 64-bit driver on the server was having problems.  As you advised, I looked at the problematic printer in the Registry and found the CopyFiles\BIDI key you refer to.  I first tried to just delete the spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\hpcpn6de.dll element, but that did not work.

I then checked the registry for the Working P4015 -- it did not have a 'CopyFiles' key at all!  So, I went back to the broken one, exported that key (for safety's sake), and then deleted it entirely.  Now both P4015 printers install the same way, and they both work fine!  :-)

• Proposed as answer by JRWest9876 Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:30 AM
    • Edited by JRWest9876 Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:34 AM
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 1:30 AM

I actually had to combine your solution with Alan's to make it work.  Like you said, you must delete the entire BIDI key on the print server (rather than delete the entry with the file path as Alan indicated; that only changed my error to 0x00000002).

Server - Windows Server 2003 Standard w/SP2 (32-bit)
    Client1 - Windows 7 Pro w/SP1 (x64)
    Client2 & 3 - Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
    Printer1 - HP DesignJet T1120 44in HPGL2
    Printer2 - HP Color LaserJet 4700 PCL6

Deleted this entire key:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\[PrinterName]\CopyFiles\BIDI

• Edited by J-LA Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:41 PM
  • In our organisation we suddently got this error on some of our printservers around the world.

After trying all the solutions in this tread and many other I found the reason.

Cisco WAAS

Please consider network changes, even if you experince this problem on-site.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 8:30 PM
  • Backing up and deleting the CopyFiles key on the print server worked for me.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:02 PM
  • This worked for us as well.
    Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:08 PM
  • It was becasue printer did not had autoinstall drivers for 64bit windows 7.
    I logged in to ond of the VM running 32bit Windows 7, with local admin, added the printer and went to printer properties, sharing tab, Additional Drivers...
    Added the 64bit drivers here

Now the printer can auto install 64bit OS drivers
    Friday, April 05, 2013 1:02 AM
  • It's actually the print driver failing to install, not the connection to the print server. An initial attempt to install the driver failed, so the driver directory is present on the workstation, but missing the files.

1) On a machine with the same driver installed (and working properly), open Regedit, and browse to: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Controi\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\

2) Locate the subkey for the printer driver you are dealing with and click the key for the printer driver.

3)  Look for the "InfPath" on the right.  Note the path.

5) Now browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and locate the folder indicated in the InfPath reg value.

6) Go to the users computer  exhibiting this behavior, and browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and see if the folder is present. In my case, the folder was present, but empty.  If it is here and it is empty, you will have to modify security on the folder, first taking over ownership, then granting yourself full control.

7)  Once security is granted, copy the contents of this folder from a good machine to the machine presenting the Ox00000057.

Now try connecting to the print queue on the print server. The driver should now download  and install properly.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:55 PM
  • We hade same error with Windows 7 Pro 64bit/SBS 2003 Server and a HP 4200 printer. Deleting the BIDI key did the trick. Thanks!
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:07 AM
  • I also tried and worked.

But may I know which have any effect after process this (delete the "Copyfile" in the regedit)

• Edited by Will3927 Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:18 AM a
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Delete the regestry keys works well with HP LJ 3005 and HP Univeral driver.
    Friday, May 23, 2014 11:11 AM
  • When getting the 0x0000007e error while trying to get a Windows 7 x64 machine to map to a W7 x64 printer located on a x86 server like W2K3, so far what has worked for me every time is deleting the entire HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\PRINTERNAME\CopyFiles key. As soon as I delete CopyFiles, all the x64 clients can download the x64 driver from the F&P server.
    Friday, July 04, 2014 9:30 AM