none
Drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2

Question

• What Drivers, specifically chipset, can be selected for use with Windows Server 2008 R2?  Do you specify Vista or Windows7 64 bit drivers?  I have noticed that Server 2008 R2 has more of a Windows7 look to it.  Given the choice, the OS prefers Windows7 Drivers.  2008 R2 loaded a good Raid & NIC driver on the install, but I cannot help but wonder about the motherboard chipset drivers.  Most manufacturer driver disks that come with the newer PCs, still do not recognize Server 2008 has a unique OS and will not recommend a driver. Most of what I look at on my Server 2008 R2 OS has a 2006 date on it. Many of the new chipsets did not exist back in 2006.  I see many reported problems about 'SafeMode' not working and 'Reboot' loops and cannot help but wonder about compatibility.  Does anyone have an answer, Vista or Windows7 drivers?
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows Server 2008 R2 comes with some drivers for some common hardware, so for some special hardware, you need to get the drivers from the manufacturer of the hardware. Base on my experience, most of the drivers for Windows Vista and Windows 7 are compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2, however, there is no guarantee.

By the way, if you want to build a server in your production environment, it is recommend that you use the hardware which is listed in Windows Server Catalog as compatible with Windows system.

Windows Server Catalog

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/results.aspx?bCatId=1283&avc=10

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, August 05, 2010 5:13 AM