none
Windows 2008 SBS not showing start menu or desktop icons after upgrading xenserver

Question

• Hi Everyone,

i have come accros the problem after i have upgrade my xenserver from 5.6 to 6.0.

i have windows server 2008 sbs running. i took image of my virtual machine and upgraded the xenserver to 6.0 and then restore the image.

system started fine, but when i login it down not show any icon or start menu. but i am still able to run everything using Task Manager.

i tried login in from different users, but no luck.

I tried running StartRep.exe but no luck.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The issue occurred after upgrading XenServer from 5.6 to 6.0. The issue is any icon or start menu disappeared. So could you please share a snapshot here to clarify the issue?

At the same time, since the XenServer is released. Of course, there are some known issues included just like the article below:

Title: XenServer 6.0 Release Notes
    URL: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX130418

Since the issue is related to XenServer upgrading, I also suggest that you could ask your question in the Citrix Forum below:

Title: Category: XenServer
    URL: http://forums.citrix.com/category.jspa?categoryID=101

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:09 AM
  • HI James,

thanks for the reply.

Yes the issue occurred after upgrade from 5.6 to 6.0. I also have posted it on citrix forum but no solution yet. it looks like the account is blocked or something like that. i have tried many different accounts but not luck.

i have attached the image of Safe mode as normal mode takes ages to boot up. but both still same no icons or start menu.

also if you notice in task manager the Administrator icon appearing as grey, i am not sure is it some thing we should look at.!

Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:32 AM
  • Hi,

At first, I would like to say that you need to check the settings in the Taskbar and Start Menu are correct. And you could press the Start button on the keyboard to verify the Taskbar and Start Menu could display properly or not.

At the same time, you could run the following command in the command prompt:

powershell

After running the command above, please run the following command to verify the explorer process:

Get-Process | Where-Object {$_.name -like "*explorer*"}

Please make sure the explorer.exe process is running and handling. And post back the output result with snapshot.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Hi James,

thanks for the reply.

i tried opening Taskbar and Start Menu from control panel but no luck it was not opening anything and also pressing windows button doesnt show anything. please see the output of the command.

C:\Windows\system32>powershell
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Process | Where-Object {$_.name -like "*explorer*"}

Handles  NPM(K)    PM(K)      WS(K) VM(M)   CPU(s)     Id ProcessName
    -------  ------    -----      ----- -----   ------     -- -----------
        298      21    13916      25740   160     1.00  11588 explorer

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to reboot the server to fix the issue? I believe it could be a resolution here.

At the same time, please let me know whether you have changed the registry keys before or not. If so, have you backup your registry keys before?

Regards,

James

James Xiong

Monday, April 23, 2012 1:09 AM
  • Hi James,

thanks for reply, we have done image of server and then restore it to new xenserver 6.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:17 PM