none
If you want to access the PowerShell 3.0 Help in another language please vote for my Connect suggestion!

General discussion

• All my Windows operating Systems are set to use the UI Culture: German

With Update-Help or Save-Help you can download PowerShell help in different (any) language by use of the –UICulture parameter.
    Update-Help –UICulture en-US

Because my Windows OS is set to use the German UI Culture and the Cmdlet Get-Help depends on it, I cannot access PowerShell help in a different Language (English) with Get-Help.

There is still no translated German PowerShell help and even if I have installed the en-US verbose Help files I cannot use it (easily)!

I made a suggestion on Microsoft Connect to add the –UICulture Parameter to the Get-Help Cmdlet, to make it possible to call Help in a different language then the Windows Ui Culture.

As a workaround until then you can use the  .NET Class [System.Threading.Thread]::CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture to set the UI Culture and get Help in a different language.

Function Get-HelpUICulture {
        param (
            [String]$HelpSearchString,
            [String]$UICulture
        )

# remember the UICulture
        $OldCulture = [System.Threading.Thread]::CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture
        trap
        {
            [System.Threading.Thread]::CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = $OldCulture
        }

# set thread to given UICulture
        [System.Threading.Thread]::CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = $UICulture

# call powershell help in given language
        Get-Help $HelpSearchString -Full

# reset UICulture
        [System.Threading.Thread]::CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = $OldCulture
    }

# Example: call PowerShell en-US help in verbose English:
    Get-HelpUICulture -HelpSearchString Get-Command -UICulture ‘en-US’
    If you want to access the PowerShell 3.0 Help in another language please vote for my Connect suggestion!
    https://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/feedback/details/767899/please-add-uiculture-to-get-help

Please click “Mark as Answer” if my post answers your question and click “Vote As Helpful” if my Post helps you.
    Bitte markiere hilfreiche Beiträge von mir als “Als Hilfreich bewerten” und Beiträge die deine Frage ganz oder teilweise beantwortet haben als “Als Antwort markieren”.
    My PowerShell Blog http://www.admin-source.info
    [string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('755964655967-86965747271757624-8796158066061').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '
    German ? Come to German PowerShell Forum!

Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Great, thanks for you sharing!

Regards,

Yan Li

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Thank you for sharing Peter. My system is set to UICulture nl-NL, which prevents me from accessing updated help-files too. I even noticed that after Update-Help, the 'About_' articles were still missing completely. With my system set to UICulture en-US, I could correctly access all updated helpfiles, including 'About_' articles. I Was glad to find your work-around.

For usability, a small addition to the above Function, so that 'en-US' is the default:

param (

[String]$HelpSearchString,

[String]$UICulture='en-US'
    )

And maybe a Set-Alias to something shorter :-)

Another, certainly less elegant, yet also effective way to work around this issue is to copy the contents of the en-US help folder to the folder with the name of your UICulture:

Make sure you have run Update-Help -UICulture en-US (-Force) , and stop all running PowerShell processes.

Go to: %windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US  (This folder should contain little over 6.4MB)

Copy its contents to: %windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\<xx-XX>  
    where you need to replace <xx-XX> with your own Culture code. In my case: nl-NL, which makes: ...\v1.0\nl-NL

Make sure you first make a back up of your own culture code folder.

This makes all the updated help files, including 'about_' articles available to you in PowerShell, without need for changing UICulture on the fly. Obvious drawback of this method is that you will need to keep doing this after every Update-Help...

• Edited by JosKW Monday, November 26, 2012 8:28 AM Small typo
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Hello JosKW

Thank you for your suggestions!
    In my 3 Part Blog Series about the new 3.0 PowerShell,  I offer a full blown Proxy Function for the Get-Help cmdlet to solve this better.
    For now I have the first two Articles Published at my Blog, the Third Part will follow soon:

PowerShell 3.0 updateable help Update-Help, Save-Help und Get-Help Basics
    http://www.admin-source.de/BlogDeu/497/powershell-3-0-updateable-help-update-help-save-help-und-get-help-grundlagen

PowerShell 3.0 updateable help Update-Help, Save-Help und Get-Help using
    http://www.admin-source.de/BlogDeu/523/powershell-3-0-updateable-help-update-help-save-help-und-get-help-anwenden

The Articles are written in German. I think you as a Dutchman can read this.
    Or you can use the Translate Button on my Page, to use Google Translate Service to read this in the Language of your choice. ;-))

Cheers Peter

Please click “Mark as Answer” if my post answers your question and click “Vote As Helpful” if my Post helps you.
    Bitte markiere hilfreiche Beiträge von mir als “Als Hilfreich bewerten” und Beiträge die deine Frage ganz oder teilweise beantwortet haben als “Als Antwort markieren”.
    My PowerShell Blog http://www.admin-source.info
    [string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('755964655967-86965747271757624-8796158066061').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '
    German ? Come to German PowerShell Forum!

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:41 AM
  • Hello Peter,

Bit of a late response, sorry there :-)

I found out your very useful contribution to the Powershell community has not yet made its way into PowerShell 4.0. That's a pity! Although I see Microsoft has started translating Help-files, at this time, no Dutch help files yet, and still no easy way to use English help files on a system with non en-US locale.

Are you continuing your mission? Are German help-files available yet?

Regards,

Jos

Friday, July 11, 2014 7:31 AM