none
Missing orphaned group policy (GPO) object

Question

• Hi,

Running windows 2003 r2 sp2.

Group policy modeling is showing as having a denied GPO, listed only by GUID with a link locaton of domain.local/Configuration/Sites/domain which comes up as inaccessaible if link is enabled - I am trying to delete this!

ASDI Edit is not showing this GUID, nor is it listed under %systemroot%\sysvol\sysvol\domain.local\Policys.

It is listed in the registy under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Group Policy\State\Machine\GPLink-List\1

with DsPath CN={GUID},CN=Policies,CN=Sytem,DC=domain,DC=local & and SOM CN=Domain,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=local

as well as HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Group Policy\State\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxx

Have not had the chance to reboot this machine since this erronous item was added / particaplly removed - will reboot in a few days, but not currently possible as production machine.

Any guidance appreciated!

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:00 PM

Answers

• First, I wouldn't really rely on GP Modeling for diagnostics purposes... And I would - for sure - check again after rebooting before we dig in deeper.

If the problem persists, you can use ADSIEdit, connect to the configuration partition, navigate to CM=Domain,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration and clear the gPLink attribute.

BTW: Is your site really called "domain"? ;-)

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!

• Marked as answer by Jumphog Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:18 AM
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:57 PM

All replies

• First, I wouldn't really rely on GP Modeling for diagnostics purposes... And I would - for sure - check again after rebooting before we dig in deeper.

If the problem persists, you can use ADSIEdit, connect to the configuration partition, navigate to CM=Domain,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration and clear the gPLink attribute.

BTW: Is your site really called "domain"? ;-)

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!

• Marked as answer by Jumphog Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:18 AM
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Thanks Martin, will do and will post back results; and no, it's not really called domain! :)

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:12 PM
  • Well, after a reboot it's was still showing under GP modelling, and a 'not found' group policy object is listed under Sites / Domain / in group policy management with a matching unique id.

Went back to ADSIEdit, configration / CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=local then CN=Sites, edited CN=domin and cleared gplink.

- BOOM, problem rectified; many thanks for your help!

Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:18 AM