none
Windows Server Backup fails on Windows Server 2012

Question

• I have recently installed a new server that is running Windows Server 2012.  Nobody is making a backup solution that works with Server 2012 yet.  I have a free upgrade to Backup Exec 2012 R2 when it is released. (they tell me it is supposed to be released on Monday.)  So I'm waiting patiently, but for now I was just going to use the Windows Server Backup feature to back up my volumes and system state to a network location.  The network location is an older server that has an LTO 3 tape drive. Obviously the backup would then be backed up again on the LTO-3 tape.  However, I can't seem to get a successful backup of the server.  It will start off fine but then about half way through thte backup it stops.  And I get an error message that says "Error: the specified network name is no longer available."  I can't seem to figure out what is going on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:48 PM

Answers

• Well, I've been fighting this for over a month now.  Here is the only solution that I have been able to come up with to successfully backup my 2012 server to a remote folder on another server:

First, I have to make sure that the remote folder is completely empty.

Second, I schedule Windows Server Backup on the 2012 machine to do a complete backup at a specific time.

The backup will run succesfully the 1st time.  Now this is where it gets tricky.

The only way that I can get another successful backup to the same remote folder is if I delete the previous backup folders on the remote server.  I then also have to stop the scheduled backup on the 2012 server.  After stopping this, I then have to reschedule the backup the same way that I initially did.  I have to do this every frickin day but it is the only way that I can get a backup to complete every day.

I have been hounding Symantec to get Backup Exec working with Server 2012.  I guess I just have to do this cumbersome method until they come up with a solution.

Nate

• Marked as answer by TacticalN8 Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:10 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Well I'm not sure why the Windows Server Backup Feature was giving me so much trouble but I found a solution....

Don't use it.  I am now using Symantec Backup Exec 2012 for the one server and the "Remote Agent for Windows Server" for this Windows 2012 server and everything is working the way it should.  Both servers backing up directly to one tape drive.  Symantec does not technically support this product with Server 2012 yet but I installed it and it works so that's what I'm using.

Nate

• Marked as answer by TacticalN8 Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:33 PM
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:33 PM

All replies

• Okay I apologize that this went into the wrong forum.  I don't know how to move it though.

Nate

Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Do you have Symantec Endpoint Protection or Symantec Antivirus installed on this server?

Refer to this KB:

Unable to access Shares "The specified network name is no longer available" when Symantec Endpoint Protection prior to 11.0.4202 (MR4-MP2) or Symantec Antivirus 10.2 are installed on a Windows 2003, 2008 or 2008 R2 Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961293

Friday, November 23, 2012 8:25 AM
  • No, I do have McAfee SaaS AV installed but no Symantec software.

Nate

Friday, November 23, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Okay so I'm getting annoyed with this.  As i said before, I am trying to backup my entire Win 2012 server to a remote shared folder which is on another file server.  The remote shared folder is located on a server that has an LTO-3 tape drive that will in turn back both systems up. 

I found that I can only run the backup once.  When the scheduled backup tries to run the next day it fails in the middle of the backup (at random spots) with the following error: "Windows Backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder. Please retry the operation after making sure that the remote shared folder is available and accessible.

Below is a screenshot that shows where it is failing.  As you can see, the system state backs up fine, but then it errors out when backing up the 1st volume which is C.  I have roughly 60 GB of Data on E: that the backup never gets to.

I found that if I go and delete the sytem image from the remote shared folder then the next backup will run fine.  But I have to delete the previous night's backup image every day which is crazy.  For some reason it errors out when there is already an image in the remote shared folder.  I'm stumped!

Nate

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:29 PM
  • On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 20:29:14 +0000, TacticalN8 wrote:

Below is a screenshot that shows where it is failing.? As you can see, the system state backs up fine, but then it errors out when backing up the 1st volume which is C.? I have roughly 60 GB of Data on E: that the backup never gets to.

I found that if I go and delete the sytem image from the remote shared folder then the next backup will run fine.? But I have to delete the previous night's backup image every day which is crazy.? For some reason it errors out when there is already an image in the remote shared folder.? I'm stumped!

I can't find the documentation right now but I know that in 2008 R2 you
    could only do a single system state backup at a time when the destination
    is a network share.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Real time:  Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there
    and then.

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:46 PM
  • The really strange thing is that occasionally it will complete successfully.  I wonder what the odds are of it being a networking issue.  I've tried using a different Cat6 ethernet cable.  I was thinking of maybe trying to install a dual port NIC in the destination server and teaming the ports to increase bandwidth. I'm grasping at straws now.

Nate

Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Well, I've been fighting this for over a month now.  Here is the only solution that I have been able to come up with to successfully backup my 2012 server to a remote folder on another server:

First, I have to make sure that the remote folder is completely empty.

Second, I schedule Windows Server Backup on the 2012 machine to do a complete backup at a specific time.

The backup will run succesfully the 1st time.  Now this is where it gets tricky.

The only way that I can get another successful backup to the same remote folder is if I delete the previous backup folders on the remote server.  I then also have to stop the scheduled backup on the 2012 server.  After stopping this, I then have to reschedule the backup the same way that I initially did.  I have to do this every frickin day but it is the only way that I can get a backup to complete every day.

I have been hounding Symantec to get Backup Exec working with Server 2012.  I guess I just have to do this cumbersome method until they come up with a solution.

Nate

• Marked as answer by TacticalN8 Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:10 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:10 PM
  • When using Windows Backup to an network share it will tell you that it replace the overwrite the backup that is in the share.

So it doesn't matter that there are files in the backup folder, server 2012 will overwrite them when creating a new backup.

Check the following things.

- Check your eventvwr on errors at the time the backup fails. 

- Check your switch on errors (if there is one between them). 

- When there are 2 network cards in both the servers try to connect the server directly to each other and then see what happens.

If you cant wait till Monday and you can't fix this error i think the best thing you can do is this.

1. backup to a local disk.

2. create an scheduled task that will copy the backup to the network share

3. backup the files in the network share with the tape drive.

4. Optional create an scheduled task deleteds the old files in the share.

Its not the most neat solution but its better then starting your backup every freaking day by hand.

I also tried to replicate this issue but all my test servers are running on hyper-v so its working fine for me.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Diondk,

I have actually checked everything that you mentioned with no luck.  I know that theoretically the backup should overwrite files in the folder, but it will not for some reason.  I have also tried connnecting directly from one NIC to another but I get the same results, so it's not a switch error.  I thought about creating scheduled tasks as you mentioned and I may end up doing that. 

I'm just dissapointed that my new 2012 server demands more attention than the old Windows 2003 box that we've been using for the past 6 years.  Oh well, hopefully we can resolve this in the upcoming year.

Nate

Friday, December 28, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Well I'm not sure why the Windows Server Backup Feature was giving me so much trouble but I found a solution....

Don't use it.  I am now using Symantec Backup Exec 2012 for the one server and the "Remote Agent for Windows Server" for this Windows 2012 server and everything is working the way it should.  Both servers backing up directly to one tape drive.  Symantec does not technically support this product with Server 2012 yet but I installed it and it works so that's what I'm using.

Nate

• Marked as answer by TacticalN8 Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:33 PM
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:33 PM
  • You may want to look at Double Image backup.

This is a file copy program that can also copy from restore points, so if you create a restore point of the volumes needed to be copied (all or part of) then you can copy that to a share or another drive/folder. If copying to a local drive the the file permissions are retained from the source (the ACLs are also copied from the restore point). 

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:37 PM
  • You also might consider going back to S208R2. It's just as good as S2012 and it has about 100,000 less bugs (features).

Well I'm not sure why the Windows Server Backup Feature was giving me so much trouble but I found a solution....

Nate

Tomás Mason
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Scheduling on a NAS also give much similar error, onetime option goes fine.
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 2:30 PM
  • I have recently installed a new server that is running Windows Server 2012.  Nobody is making a backup solution that works with Server 2012 yet.  I have a free upgrade to Backup Exec 2012 R2 when it is released. (they tell me it is supposed to be released on Monday.)  So I'm waiting patiently, but for now I was just going to use the Windows Server Backup feature to back up my volumes and system state to a network location.  The network location is an older server that has an LTO 3 tape drive. Obviously the backup would then be backed up again on the LTO-3 tape.  However, I can't seem to get a successful backup of the server.  It will start off fine but then about half way through thte backup it stops.  And I get an error message that says "Error: the specified network name is no longer available."  I can't seem to figure out what is going on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Fully 2012 ready. and a great product.

James.

Monday, August 12, 2013 12:15 PM