none
File copy over network using a specific NIC

Question

• I have a backup server with six NICs all configured on the same subnet. For various reasons we do not want to use NIC teaming. Also we cannot move to 10Gbps switching.
    It has several fast disk arrays and two tape devices so storage will not be a bottleneck.
    I want to run several copy scripts across the network at the same time throughout the night. To increase throughput I would like to have the different copy scripts all use different physical NICS. If they all use the same NIC maximum throughput will be limited to 1Gbps.
    Is there any way to set command or the script environment to use a specific NIC?

<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Think that you have two NICs, Primary and Secondary.  You want use Secondary NIC to copy files.

One approach you can use is to configure two DNS names for your host, one per IP address, with at least two IP addresses, one on each NIC.  With the name that resolves to the IP address which is on the Secondary NIC (secondary.example.com), use the below command to copy files:

copy-item d:\folders  \\secondary.example.com\c$\path\

For more details about copy files over network, please refer to the below link:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/612015/copy-item-with-alternate-credentials

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Specific NIC has own IP address. Use the different addresses as need in your sctrips.

Сазонов Илья http://isazonov.wordpress.com/

Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reply

I failed to mention that all the scripts have to run from the backup server with the multiple NICs. I have used your method for copies that push the data (works fine), but it will not work for copies that pull the data. The scripts I need to run will pull the data.

I did think about having the script send  remote commands to the source server to push the data to nic2.backup.server.com, but that seems alot of effort.

I think I have solved the problem. By manipulating the routing table I can send traffic between the two servers across a specific NIC.

from DOS something like      route add <remote_IP> mask 255.255.255.255 <backupNIC2_IP>

It's a little ugly, but should work.

Thanks

Stuart

Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:24 AM