none
How to whitelist the users in windows server?

Question

• How to whitelist the users in windows?

In linux there is a file ..If we add the user in that file...It cannot be deleted.

Is there any option in windows like that.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:27 PM

Answers

• Windows doesn't have "sudo" like concept.

Accounts can be deleted only by Administrators. User accounts will not be deleted until and unless it's been an explicit action by Admins.

To install Applications on machine, Administrative privileges are needed, post application installation, any user (Normal User and Administrator) can access applications without any issues. Most of the Windows applications works in this way. If applications explicitly demands for Administrative privileges to work, then it's badly coded application and you should get rid of them or approach application vendor to fix the issues.

If you have further questions, please feel free to post them.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:21 AM

All replies

• Can you please define " whitelist the users " part ? I haven't heard about whitelisting users in Windows !

What is the context of your query ? What would you like to achieve out of whitelisting users ? Which OS are you talking about ? Please elaborate.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Hi, please explain your need. Do you mean to give the user admin privilege ?

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Windows has a sudo like concept for a user to allow them administrative access.  What is the user role/administration role and how can we prevent accounts from deletion and have them persist?

Basically my question is .. If i have created an administrative privelege user and provided to some XYZ customer . After some time i want to delete that administrative user.. At the same time the applications which are running on server needs administrative priveleges how can we run those application with administrative priveleges.

Thanks for showing interest !!

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Windows doesn't have "sudo" like concept.

Accounts can be deleted only by Administrators. User accounts will not be deleted until and unless it's been an explicit action by Admins.

To install Applications on machine, Administrative privileges are needed, post application installation, any user (Normal User and Administrator) can access applications without any issues. Most of the Windows applications works in this way. If applications explicitly demands for Administrative privileges to work, then it's badly coded application and you should get rid of them or approach application vendor to fix the issues.

If you have further questions, please feel free to post them.

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:21 AM