none
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise RDP not working.

Question

• I have looked everywhere, but nobody seems to have the same problem as us.

This is happening on two servers.

Using DSIM and the generic key we changed one server from standard to enterprise last week, everything was OK.

Yesterday morning everything was fine, we were connecting to RDP normally on these servers.

We used DSIM to change the version of Windows to Enterprise from standard on the second server, and then installed the correct license key to the server, actually to both of them. Things seemed OK.

Then, around 13:40 yesterday, we lost connection to both of the servers after a reboot.

We have checked everything, even changed one to have role as "Terminal Services" server, but we are still unable to connect. 

Firewall rules are all OK, allowing RDP on any port.

The odd thing is that on the remote tab of system properties there are no check boxes, and the Remote assistance checkbox is greyed out.

Anybody able to help?

Thanks

Friday, November 12, 2010 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Due to your request, I made a test to upgrade the Windows Server 2008 RS Standard to Enterprise version via the DISM. But finally everything is working fine in the upgraded version (Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise), we can make a connection via RDC client and the remote assistant is available on the system properties.

In this case, I suggest you refer to the following article describes how to upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 via DISM.

Upgrading Windows Server 2008 R2 without media

http://blogs.technet.com/b/server_core/archive/2009/10/14/upgrading-windows-server-2008-r2-without-media.aspx

By default, the Remote Assistant is not installed on the Windows Server 2008 R2, you should manually install this feature by using the Server Management. Besides, the Remote Assistance application in Windows Server 2008 is implemented in MSRA.exe, and it can be started from the command line by running msra.exe. Please try to execute it via and command from Start, what’s the result?

User-specific Remote Assistance registry keys will not exist unless Remote Assistance is installed and the current user has run Remote Assistance at least once.

The per-user Remote Assistance registry values are located in the following key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Remote Assistance\

The location of the per-machine registry key for Remote Assistance has changed from previous versions of Windows. The new location is: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Remote Assistance

In previous versions of Windows location is: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Service

On the other hand, the Remote Assistant can be set via GPO, please check the settings as following:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Remote Assistance

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:35 AM

All replies

• One addendum, this happened after the install of the latest version of DELL EQUALLOGIC's HIT kit.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Hmmm, seem to have got to the bottom of this, or close to the bottom...

We had "updated" these from Standard to Enterprise, using the DSIM utility and the generic KMS key available off of MS web site. We had then changed the license key, from the GUI to be a valid license key for Enterprise. After a reboot RDP was not working.

Just now I reverted to the "generic" KMS key and everything is working...

Friday, November 12, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Then I used another valid MAK key, and everything still worked. If I use the other one (which is now working on a completely rebuilt server), it doesn't also says 4GB usable out of 48GB RAM....?..
    Friday, November 12, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Hi,

Due to your request, I made a test to upgrade the Windows Server 2008 RS Standard to Enterprise version via the DISM. But finally everything is working fine in the upgraded version (Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise), we can make a connection via RDC client and the remote assistant is available on the system properties.

In this case, I suggest you refer to the following article describes how to upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 via DISM.

Upgrading Windows Server 2008 R2 without media

http://blogs.technet.com/b/server_core/archive/2009/10/14/upgrading-windows-server-2008-r2-without-media.aspx

By default, the Remote Assistant is not installed on the Windows Server 2008 R2, you should manually install this feature by using the Server Management. Besides, the Remote Assistance application in Windows Server 2008 is implemented in MSRA.exe, and it can be started from the command line by running msra.exe. Please try to execute it via and command from Start, what’s the result?

User-specific Remote Assistance registry keys will not exist unless Remote Assistance is installed and the current user has run Remote Assistance at least once.

The per-user Remote Assistance registry values are located in the following key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Remote Assistance\

The location of the per-machine registry key for Remote Assistance has changed from previous versions of Windows. The new location is: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Remote Assistance

In previous versions of Windows location is: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Service

On the other hand, the Remote Assistant can be set via GPO, please check the settings as following:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Remote Assistance

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:35 AM
  • I have the same problem after upgrading my server without media.  I used the KMS key and then switched back to my MAK key (it activated successfully).  I've also had additional problems such as an inability to install Server 2k8 R2 SP1.  I assume that these are related.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/e5ab00b9-9efe-44e1-bb66-5492028d5967/

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I just had the same issue. I had a Server 2008 R2 Standard edition and upgraded to Enterprise using DSIM. After activating with the same key (Used our Standard/Enterprise Key) RDP became disabled. I was able to replicate switching back to the KMS key enabled everything, but reactivating caused everything to disable again.

I re-armed the machine using, "slmgr /rearm" command. I rebooted, then activated again using our real key. RDP came back and the server shows as being activated and genuine.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:39 PM
  • I upgraded from Win2k8 R2 SP1 Std to Ent by:

Upgrade to Enterprise:

DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerEnterprise /ProductKey:<some KMS Key>

Re-install my MAK key:

SLMGR / REARM

Fix broken RDP:

Disable/Reenable "Remote Desktop" from control panel, system

• Proposed as answer by Jérôme DUMET Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:09 PM
  • I had a similar issue 32 GB installed (16 GB usable).  For me the fix was in BIOS, Memory Operating Mode, Mirror option was selected.  I set to Optimized and now I have almost the full 32.

Dell PowerEdge R710

Adam

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Big Thanks for Curtis and Moreton, you guys save my time to reinstall the server ;).
    Sharkrit
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Добрый день!

У меня такая же проблема, как описано в первом посте данной темы: после апгрейда Windows 2008 R2  с версии Standard на Enterprise при помощи DISM компьютер перестал принимать подключения по RDP. В сервисах служба Remote Desktop Services запущена и ошибок не выдает, но в статистике netstat нет записи с номером порта 3389 вообще! Windows Firewall отключен. Ветка реестра HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\ полностью совпадает с аналогичной на работоспособном сервере. Подскажите пожалуйста, в чем может быть причина?

Monday, August 15, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Thank you very much !

"SLMGR / REARM" solves my problem too !
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Worked for us!

- Thanks!!

Thursday, March 01, 2012 12:44 AM
  • The SLMGR / REARM fixed the issue for me as well.

I had to start the service named Remote Connection Manager (I made it automatic) and now it seems to do the trick.

two thumbs up :-)

Ofir Zvik CTO Evolution Online www.evolution.co.il

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:15 PM
  • I had the exact same problem using DISM to upgrade from STD to ENT.  I had originally installed STD using my volume license MAK key, then when I tried to upgrade using DISM, it didn't like my volume license key (which was for ENT edition), so I used the generic KMS key and then changed the key back to my volume license key. 

After a couple days/reboot, only 4GB usuable RAM and no RDP.

I did the SLMGR /REARM, reboot, re-entered my volume license ENT key and activated successfully.  I did have to stop/restart the RDP service (in service manager) as suggested by Peter to get that to come back to life.  Everything is working properly now.

Thanks to M.Curtis & Peter !!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:23 PM