none
Moved server 2008 R2 VM - now 'this copy is not genuine' and Windows activation status 'not available'

Question

• I recently moved four server 2008 and one Win 7 VM to a new ESXi box. Three of the servers and the Win 7 VM are working perfectly. One of the servers is now saying that it's not genuine. All of these VM's have been activated for two years.

When I run slui.exe 4, I get a generic 'an error has occurred' with error code 0x80070241.

TIA!

Sunday, September 02, 2012 1:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please run the following command in the commnad prompt with evaluated rights:

slmgr /dli

slmgr /dlv

And post back the windows you have received.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 03, 2012 7:25 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to re-activate it?

Open command prompt with Elevated Priv, and run the command:

slmgr.vbs /ipk [product-key]

See if you can reactivate it.

Jabez Gan [MVP] - http://www.msblog.org Contributing Author for: (Sybex) MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-643

Sunday, September 02, 2012 4:15 AM
  • Hi, to understand the error code, you can execute:
    slui 0x2a 0x80070241

For me, this returns:

[Expanded Information]
    Code:
    0x80070241

Description:
    Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

---
    You may need to verify the health of the slssvc / sppsvc
    and also the tokens.dat
    Is the affected server activated with MAK or KMS ?
    (KMSclients are generally more tolerant and will usually reactivate themselves)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, September 02, 2012 5:09 AM
  • Hi,

Please run the following command in the commnad prompt with evaluated rights:

slmgr /dli

slmgr /dlv

And post back the windows you have received.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 03, 2012 7:25 AM