none
Windows Server 2008 Hang up

Question

• Hi all,

We have a couple of new ESX servers of IBM (specs below my post). The server that is giving problems is being used as a Terminal Server. We are using Office 2007 on the terminal server and several company specific software packages. There are only 15-20 users on the server online at the same time. There are no performance problems on the server, it is working perfectly until it hangs. We than reboot the virtual server and it will run perfectly for another 24 hours. The virtual file and print server are running perfectly and do not hang, only the terminal servers do.

The strange thing is that it hangs around the same time everyday, first office 2007 hangs. than a couple minutes later you can't do anything. I cannot reach the windows server 2008 anymore threw the console on my VSphere client when it hangs.
    It is only my Terminal server that is hanging, rest of the virtual servers are still running fine than on the same hardware. Also when you try to login again when it hangs, you get the spinning circle and the welcome message and keeps giving me that.

Hardware specs:
    IBM X3550M2
    2x Quad core 2,40 GHZ
    18 GB of memory
    ESXi 4.0 software running
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:40 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

Firstly, this is a crash issue occurring in virtual environment, to troubleshoot this issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

From Windows side, I recommend you to use the following suggestions:

1.     I don’t have a VMWare environment to reproduce this issue, so it’s not ensured if the VMWare is correctly supporting Terminal Services of Windows Server 2008. If possible, please contact VMWare to report this issue and check if it is a known one.

2.     Check the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) to see what errors are logged during the hang happens. Those are important clues to find the root cause that leads to this issue.

3.     As this issue occurs every 24 hours. Please check the Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc) to see if there are any scheduled task that leads to the crash.

4.     Perform a clean boot to the problematic virtual server to exclude the 3rd party services or applications’ possibilities. If the issue doesn’t appear after clean boot, disable fewer 3rd party services until find the root cause.

Clean Boot the Windows Server 2008 manually

a.     Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b.     If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

c.     On the General tab, click Selective startup.

d.     Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box.

e.     Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

f.      Click OK, and then click Restart.

Thanks for your understanding. Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstand anything or you have further questions on this issue. I hope the issue can be fixed soon.

Lionel Chen

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What servicepack for Server 2008 and Office 2007 and VM Tools version have been installed?

Are there lots of people login on or off at the moment the this problem occurs?

If you can predict the time this happens then you can try to monitor the actual state with Sysinternal tools to see what process and file activity was active before the VM hangs up. Maybe you can find out why Office 2007 hangs first, there is a big change that office has a big role in this issue because that is where the problems seems to start.

Danny van Dam
    Founder of www.citrix-guru.com
    follow
    me on twitter: http://twitter.com/dnyvandam
    linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/dnyvandam

Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:21 PM
  • Danny,

First of all thanks for your reply.

All the latest patches and latest VmWare Tools.

Further also tried without office updates

Users just working nobody is logging off.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Do you have any Antivirus software running ?  
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Danny,

No we do not have any anti-virus software installed.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 7:30 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for posting in our forum.

Firstly, this is a crash issue occurring in virtual environment, to troubleshoot this issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

From Windows side, I recommend you to use the following suggestions:

1.     I don’t have a VMWare environment to reproduce this issue, so it’s not ensured if the VMWare is correctly supporting Terminal Services of Windows Server 2008. If possible, please contact VMWare to report this issue and check if it is a known one.

2.     Check the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) to see what errors are logged during the hang happens. Those are important clues to find the root cause that leads to this issue.

3.     As this issue occurs every 24 hours. Please check the Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc) to see if there are any scheduled task that leads to the crash.

4.     Perform a clean boot to the problematic virtual server to exclude the 3rd party services or applications’ possibilities. If the issue doesn’t appear after clean boot, disable fewer 3rd party services until find the root cause.

Clean Boot the Windows Server 2008 manually

a.     Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b.     If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

c.     On the General tab, click Selective startup.

d.     Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box.

e.     Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

f.      Click OK, and then click Restart.

Thanks for your understanding. Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstand anything or you have further questions on this issue. I hope the issue can be fixed soon.

Lionel Chen

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Hello,

How are you? I am just checking to see how things are going there on this issue. If you would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. It is my pleasure to help. Thanks, and have a great day.

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:01 AM
  • I am experiencing almost the exact same issue, but with Hyper-V and not every 24 hours.  Our problem happens at different times....sometimes twice a week, sometimes 0 times in a month.  We have 2 virtual machines running Windows Server 2008 SP2 and this problem only seems to be occurring on the one VM.  As soon as Word or Excel 2007 hangs and somebody attempts to log in or out of the server, it either gets stuck on the 'Welcome' screen, or the 'Logging off' screen.   The only way to fix the issue once somebody attempts to log in/out is to manually turn off the VM and start it up again.  But if i catch the issue prior to someone logging in/out, i can manually close the process and there is no issue.  So annoying. The one thing I have noticed is that most of these Word or Excel crashes occur when a file is accessed from our MOSS 2007 SharePoint server....but i cannot guarantee that this is the only time it happens.  Would add-ins cause this to possibly happen? Any hotfix for this?  

Thanks for your time,

Tatehamma

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:54 AM