none
Failed to schedule Software Protection service

Question

• Hi, we have this error logged on regular basis on our Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter:

Error 9/1/2012 8:02:34 AM Security-SPP 16385 None
    Failed to schedule Software Protection service for re-start at 2012-09-01T20:52:34Z. Error Code: 0x80070057.

Running command "schtasks /query /tn \Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTask /xml" results in "ERROR: The parameter is incorrect."

wmic service sppsvc get * /format:list

AcceptPause=FALSE
    AcceptStop=TRUE
    Caption=Software Protection
    CheckPoint=0
    CreationClassName=Win32_Service
    Description=Enables the download, installation and enforcement of digital licenses for Windows and Windows applications. If the service is disabled, the operating system and licensed applications may run in a notification mode. It is strongly recommended that you not disable the Software Protection service.
    DesktopInteract=FALSE
    DisplayName=Software Protection
    ErrorControl=Normal
    ExitCode=0
    InstallDate=
    Name=sppsvc
    PathName=C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe
    ProcessId=3360
    ServiceSpecificExitCode=0
    ServiceType=Own Process
    Started=TRUE
    StartMode=Auto
    StartName=NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService
    State=Running
    Status=OK
    SystemCreationClassName=Win32_ComputerSystem
    SystemName=WINFDEV
    TagId=0
    WaitHint=0

wmic service schedule get * /format:list

AcceptPause=FALSE
    AcceptStop=TRUE
    Caption=Task Scheduler
    CheckPoint=0
    CreationClassName=Win32_Service
    Description=Enables a user to configure and schedule automated tasks on this computer. The service also hosts multiple Windows system-critical tasks. If this service is stopped or disabled, these tasks will not be run at their scheduled times. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    DesktopInteract=FALSE
    DisplayName=Task Scheduler
    ErrorControl=Normal
    ExitCode=0
    InstallDate=
    Name=Schedule
    PathName=C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
    ProcessId=948
    ServiceSpecificExitCode=0
    ServiceType=Share Process
    Started=TRUE
    StartMode=Auto
    StartName=LocalSystem
    State=Running
    Status=OK
    SystemCreationClassName=Win32_ComputerSystem
    SystemName=WINFDEV
    TagId=0
    WaitHint=0

There is also this error in the error log: Task Scheduler failed to load task "\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTask" at service startup. Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942487.

How can I fix this problem? The server was instantiated using the Windows Server 2008 R2 image in the Windows Azure library.

Best regards,
    Jozef.

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Task scheduled for ‘Software Protection Service’ might have gone corrupt. So Action plan to recreate the task:

Step 1: Locate the corrupted task references in the registry and in Task Scheduler
    To do this, follow these steps:
    1.  Open Task Scheduler. 
    2.  Expand Task Scheduler Library tree in the left pane, and located the folder that contains the corrupted task. Make a note of the location of the corrupted task. You will need this information later in this procedure. 
    3.  Locate the registry sub-key that corresponds to the corrupted task in one of the following registry sub-key. You can locate the subkey by searching for the name of the task:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree
    Click the registry sub-key that corresponds to the corrupted task, and then make a note of the GUID value in the "Id" entry. For example, {2911FBBD-A0AA-4A79-A8EE-84EF7555A71B}. You will need this information in the next step of this procedure. 
    4.  Locate the registry sub-key that corresponds to the corrupted task in one of the following registry three sub-keys. To locate this sub-key, search for the GUID value that you noted in the previous step. For example, {2911FBBD-A0AA-4A79-A8EE-84EF7555A71B}. The task will exist in only one of the three locations:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Plain
    Or: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Logon
    Or: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Boot
    Make a note of the registry location of the corrupted task. You will need this information later in this procedure. 

Step 2: Create a temporary copy of the corrupted task file
    1.  Open the following folder in Windows Explorer: %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\Tasks\<Corrupted_Task_Name>
    2.  Locate and then copy the task file that corresponds to the corrupted task to a temporary location. 

Step 3: Clean up the corrupted task
    1.  Delete the task file that corresponds to the corrupted task from the Tasks folder (%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\Tasks). 
    2.  Delete the registry sub-key that corresponds to the corrupted task from the following registry sub-key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree 
    3.  Delete the registry sub-key that corresponds to the corrupted task from the following registry sub-key. The task will be in GUID format. For example, {2911FBBD-A0AA-4A79-A8EE-84EF7555A71B}.

Note Refer to the note that you made earlier in this procedure to locate the registry folder.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks 
    4.  Delete the registry sub-key that corresponds to the corrupted task from one of the following registry three sub-keys. The task will exist in only one of the three locations and will be in GUID format. For example, {2911FBBD-A0AA-4A79-A8EE-84EF7555A71B}.

Note Refer to the note that you made earlier in this procedure to locate the registry folder.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Plain Or: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Logon Or: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Boot 

Step 4: Re-create the task by using the temporary backed-up copy
    1.  Open Task Scheduler. 
    2.  Expand Task Scheduler Library tree in the left pane, and open the folder that previously contained the corrupted task.

Note Refer to the note that you made earlier in this procedure to locate the folder. 
    3.  Right-click the folder that previously contained the corrupted task, and then click Import Task. 
    4.  In the Open dialog box, select All files (*.*). Browse to the temporary folder that contains the backed up task file, and then select the task file. Click Open. The new task is created and is visible in Task Scheduler. 

Or, you can use the following command line command to restore the backed-up task: Schtasks.exe /CREATE /TN <New_Task_Name> /XML <Xml_File_Name>

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 03, 2012 5:18 AM
  • These steps are not clear enough to follow. I don't understand why you can't provide us with a automated scripts that can fix the bug instead of manually executing steps which can lead to other errors.

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

Friday, September 07, 2012 8:04 AM
  • When I opened the Task Scheduler, the error message "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it." appears.

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

Friday, September 07, 2012 8:05 AM
  • The SvcRestartTask file is empty. I can't recreate a new task from it.

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

Friday, September 07, 2012 8:12 AM
  • These steps are not clear enough to follow. I don't understand why you can't provide us with a automated scripts that can fix the bug instead of manually executing steps which can lead to other errors.

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

Please understand that, you are getting FREE support here !

No need to be RUDE and UNGRATEFUL when some one is trying to help you.

It clearly looks like you marked Yan Li's suggestion as abusive unnecessarily !

If you cant get SOMETHING RIGHT, why BLAME others ?

I am sure , you are going to reply on my post and say something which will be even irrelevant.But who cares... ?

GO **** YOURSELF and CRY IN THE CORNER you Spineless A.... you know I what I wan't to say ;-)

Friday, September 07, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Ou, it's not free. I paid for the Windows Server. And the steps are not clear enough. And I'm solving this thing for months already. So yes, it gets me upset that the server is not working properly for *months*.

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

Friday, September 07, 2012 12:08 PM
  • Hi,

I feel sorry that I have not found out a proper method to solve the issue, so I would like contact others to help to resolve the issue.

Thanks for you understanding.

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 10, 2012 3:12 AM
  • I noticed that you mentioned "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it."

based on my experience, some manually created corruption task file can caused this kind issue. go to C:\Windows\system32\Tasks backup the task you  created, and delete them. try to check if you can open the task Scheduler now? 

If still failure, manually replace all the C:\Windows\system32\Tasks folder from another working server. Try to manually start the Task Scheduler service to check if any error message appears. 

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Omg, these forums are so useless. You won't provide a solution and mark your post as "Answer"?

Do you even know, that if you replace Tasks files from another Windows installation, you will get errors in Task Scheduler that the tasks image is corrupted?

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:11 AM
  • After replace the task file, you also need to follow Yan's steps, to import the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache from the working machine and a reboot, since the registry and the task files are correspondence. Actually Yan's steps are try to to manually recreate the corrupt task. 

You can refer to the following KB as a example for recreating a not working task.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2535270

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Hi, i am just following up to check if you have any updates on this issue. 

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:41 AM
  • No, there is no update, the server is still not working properly. Restoring TaskCache registry in test environment didn't fix the problem and I'm definitely not doing such a risky operation in a virtual machine running in Windows Azure where a small mistake can cause be to loose access to the machine.

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:40 AM
  • I don't know what Jozef is doing wrong, because this solution solved the problem for me. Thank you so much!!!
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 3:10 AM
  • Good day.

When do STEP4, my system show next message:

The format is not valid. The following error was report: (24,9):Priority:

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
    <Task version="1.4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
      <RegistrationInfo>
        <Version>1.0</Version>
        <SecurityDescriptor>D:P(A;;FA;;;SY)(A;;FA;;;BA)(A;;FRFW;;;S-1-5-80-123231216-2592883651-3715271367-3753151631-4175906628)(A;;FR;;;S-1-5-87-431836887-2321537645-4075769387-3393595759-2187231311)</SecurityDescriptor>
        <Source>$(@%systemroot%\system32\sppc.dll,-200)</Source>
        <Author>$(@%systemroot%\system32\sppc.dll,-200)</Author>
        <Description>$(@%systemroot%\system32\sppc.dll,-203)</Description>
        <URI>\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTaskNetwork</URI>
      </RegistrationInfo>
      <Principals>
        <Principal>
          <UserId>S-1-5-20</UserId>
          <RunLevel>LeastPrivilege</RunLevel>
        </Principal>
      </Principals>
      <Settings>
        <AllowHardTerminate>false</AllowHardTerminate>
        <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
        <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT0S</ExecutionTimeLimit>
        <Hidden>true</Hidden>
        <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
        <RestartOnFailure>
          <Priority>3</Priority>
          <Priority>PT1M</Priority>
        </RestartOnFailure>
        <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>false</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
      </Settings>
      <Data><![CDATA[network]]></Data>
      <Triggers>
        <EventTrigger>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Subscription>&lt;QueryList&gt;&lt;Query Id="0" Path="Microsoft-Windows-NetworkProfile/Operational"&gt;&lt;Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-NetworkProfile/Operational"&gt;*[System[EventID=10000]]&lt;/Select&gt;&lt;/Query&gt;&lt;/QueryList&gt;</Subscription>
        </EventTrigger>
      </Triggers>
      <Actions>
        <ComHandler>
          <ClassId>{B1AEBB5D-EAD9-4476-B375-9C3ED9F32AFC}</ClassId>
          <Data><![CDATA[network]]></Data>
        </ComHandler>
      </Actions>
    </Task>

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

What will you recommend to do in this situation?

Thanks.

Dmitriy K.

Оповещение с форума TECHNET.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Hi Dmitriy,

The error message isn't very helpful, but comparing the XML with that of SvcRestartTaskLogon, I noticed that the following section in SvcRestartTask

<RestartOnFailure>
          <Priority>3</Priority>
          <Priority>PT1M</Priority>
    </RestartOnFailure>

in SvcRestartTaskLogon is
    <RestartOnFailure>
          <Interval>PT1M</Interval>
          <Count>3</Count>
    </RestartOnFailure>

I changed the offending lines in SvcRestartTask and it now imports correctly - give that a try and see how you get on. Don't forget to reboot after!

Monday, March 04, 2013 12:24 PM

-- Jozef Izso (MCPD)

I know you have probably solved this problem by now (or it went away through other means). But for those who would rather walk 1 mile in one direction than walk 25,000 miles around the world in the other, just to end up in the same spot, here is how I solved this problem:

1. Open Task Scheduler and select the problematic task.

2. Export the task to a known location.

3. Delete the task. This will delete the aforementioned GUIDs associated with the problematic task. There is absolutely no need to manually edit the registry.

4. In Task Scheduler, import the file you exported in step 2 above. This will create a new task that functions the same as the original.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:55 AM
  • Hi Mark,

thank you for your post - this solved my Problem with Windows 8 Pro - here is what I did:

• I had the described Security-SPP Error Message in my Event Log - about every 30 seconds:(
    • SvcRestartTask did not Show up in Task Planner under Microsoft/Windows/SoftwareProtectionPlatform, with the unecpected Node Error Message
    • The Task SvcRestartTask was still in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
    • I copied the Task File, added .XML as File Extension and applied your suggested changes because the normal Import did not work - I got the same Error Dimitri described earlier
    • Imported the altered .XML-File as Task in SoftwareProtectionPlatform Tree
    • Reboot!

Voila! No more Error Messages in my Event Log:)

Thanks again to all of you!

Andy

Monday, June 17, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Thanks for this detailed description, Andreas_Peter! It helped me to fix this annoying issue.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:24 AM
  • I noticed that you mentioned "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it."

based on my experience, some manually created corruption task file can caused this kind issue. go to C:\Windows\system32\Tasks backup the task you  created, and delete them. try to check if you can open the task Scheduler now? 

If still failure, manually replace all the C:\Windows\system32\Tasks folder from another working server. Try to manually start the Task Scheduler service to check if any error message appears. 

I know that this is a platform discussing Windows server, but I cannot find a more relevant thread to post, so I have to post it here. If there is a more relevant platform, please inform me. Thanks in advance.

1. I have not manually created any task file but encounter exactly the same problems as Jozef Izso's. In additin, I am not using a Windows server but a Windows 7 on a stand-alone computer. The basic setup is Windows 7 Entreprise (SP1) with an intel-core Azus motherboard (4GB ram).

2. Similar to Jozef Izso, I read through carefully all the posts in this thread and find nothing helpful. As the SvcRestartTask file is empty, neither can I recreate a new task from it, nor can I revise it in the way suggested by Mrak Arnold, nor can I copy the TaskCache from another machine since this is the only one I have. Can anybody give me more helpful suggestions?

By the way, the only button I can click is "proposed as answer" and after that "unproposed as answer". There seems to be no way for me to "unmark" an answer! 

Friday, October 18, 2013 11:29 PM