none
Remote Desktop Services and Citrix

Question

• Hi,

I think I may be about to ask a little bit of a school boy question. But after hours of searching the Internet I cannot find an answer.

In our company we have thin clients for all users and these currently connect to a Remote Desktop Services server (2008 R2) which works well.

However we have just opened another branch office and have found that for delivery of Video to these thin clients over RDP is shocking - almost unusable.

We have just evaluated Citrix XenDesktop (Desktop Virtulization) and with Citrix HDX video delivery is Flawless.

I now come to my questions. I don't yet have a requirement to change from Remote Desktop Services and move to Desktop Virtualization, Remote Desktop Services is working great for us as a company, however I need to fix the video issue.

Is it possible to allow users to connect to our Remote Desktop Services server via a Citrix Protocol (with some Citrix software installed) that will allow users to take advantage of the Video Streaming etc brought by Citrix HDX. Basicaly Citrix XenDesktop 6 but instead of users connecting to Virtual Desktops, connecting to 1 Remote Desktop Services (formally termial server) Server ?

Look forward to your response

Kind Regards
    Scott Maxwell

Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:20 AM

Answers

• You can deliver full remote desktops via XenApp - a full desktop is really just another published application. XenApp 6 is required for Windows 2008 R2.
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 7:39 AM

All replies

• Take a look at Citrix XenApp, which is an add-on to RDS: http://citrix.com/xenapp. Because you already have RDS in-place, you probably don't need to replace this with XenDesktop. The same HDX protocol is used by XenApp and XenDesktop

Read more on XenApp here: http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/subfeature.asp?contentID=2300407

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:42 AM
  • I have had a look at Citrix XenApp however this looks like an application delivery package. Similar to how Remote Apps are deployed when using Remote Desktop Services and not full Remote Desktop. Can you login to your desktop on Remote Desktop Services using Citrix XenApp ?

Would be awesome if I was wrong !

I will download and have a play anyway. Can anyone answer this one  off the cuff as it would save me a lot of time building and testing ?

Cheers

Scott Maxwell

Monday, March 14, 2011 12:33 AM
  • Hi,

I would contact Citrix engineer to specially ask them whether the XenApp is supported on RDS server, and if so, please ask them if they have a demo or Lab to give you a visualized feeling.

Thanks.

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:23 AM
  • You can deliver full remote desktops via XenApp - a full desktop is really just another published application. XenApp 6 is required for Windows 2008 R2.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 7:39 AM