none
Can't Uninstall Terminal Services 2008 Server

Question

• I cannot uninstall terminal services on server 2008.  Every time I attempt to it will perform the removal process and restart.  Once restarted it will perform this 2 more times and tell me that it failed.  I was testing out the terminal apps portion and now that the trial period is over I just want to RDP for administration.  Can someone help me?
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 9:10 PM

Answers

• I actually figured out this issue.  What was wrong was that the registry was not allowing me to write to certain keys in Windows components under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.  A lot of the folders here had no permissions which would cause the error.  To remedy the issue I changed the permissions to allow administrators which fixed the issue and allowed me to uninstall terminal services through server manager.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you enter into the security mode to uninstall the TS role? Maybe some 3rd-party software is preventing the process of deleting TS role.Also try to use the command-line to uninstall the TS to see whether it works.

If all the above failed,Since this is obviously a test box, I would simply rebuild the box from scratch. Or simply reimage it with your base images. The nice thing about Win2k8 is that it doesn't very long to install at all.

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, February 03, 2012 12:54 AM
  • What do you mean by security mode?  Do you mean safe mode?  If so, how do I perform that?  Also I don't think any third party software is preventing uninstallation however I have examined the event log and have not found anything out of the ordinary.
    Friday, February 03, 2012 1:05 PM
  • What do you mean by security mode?  Do you mean safe mode?  If so, how do I perform that?  Also I don't think any third party software is preventing uninstallation however I have examined the event log and have not found anything out of the ordinary.

Yes, I mean safe mode. Restart your Server and enter into the safe mode,and uninstall the TS role.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 06, 2012 9:54 AM
  • Unfortunately you cannot uninstall with the server manager in safe mode.  Do you know another way to perform the uninstallation of the role?
    Monday, February 06, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Unfortunately you cannot uninstall with the server manager in safe mode.  Do you know another way to perform the uninstallation of the role?

You can remove roles or features by using the Remove Roles or Remove Features wizards, Windows PowerShell, or a command line: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732257.aspx

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 8:01 AM
  • I actually figured out this issue.  What was wrong was that the registry was not allowing me to write to certain keys in Windows components under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.  A lot of the folders here had no permissions which would cause the error.  To remedy the issue I changed the permissions to allow administrators which fixed the issue and allowed me to uninstall terminal services through server manager.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:14 PM