none
WSUS failing to sync from Microsoft Update since applying KB2720211

Question

• Hi everyone,

This morning I applied KB2720211 to my WSUS Server (WSUS 3.0 SP2 on Windows 2008R2) and rebooted it.  Since then, it's consistently failing to sync to Microsoft Update.  Here's the exact error I get when trying to sync:

TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy' threw an exception. ---> System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.GetWebServiceProxyInternal(UpdateServerConfiguration serverConfig, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper, Boolean useCompressionProxy)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.GetWebServiceCompressionProxy(UpdateServerConfiguration serverConfig, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.RetrieveSubscriptionData()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRedirect)

The "HTTP status 401: Unauthorized" makes me think that something is wrong on the Microsoft Update side, but I'm not 100% sure about that.  Any ideas?  I'm not going through a proxy server - my WSUS server is using direct connections and has an unrestricted internet connection.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

The following thread seems to have the same issue with this thread.Pls try to use the following suggestion to see whether the issue can be resolved.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverwsus/thread/32b7bdac-be20-4d93-ac17-1d9fb3bbdfd8

Whether it is resolved or not, pls let me know.

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Issue had already been escalated to Microsoft Product Support Tea. Presently there is no resolution except to reinstall WSUS

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:28 AM
  • Found this link:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winserverwsus/thread/e918a191-ef6d-4c4b-b83a-7a4ae20a5217?prof=required

It mentions a resolution, One of colleague tried it on a machine where WSUS was installed on a SBS box and it fixed the issue!

Have forwarded the steps to Product Support Team.

Regards

Muhammad Adil

Senior SME- ConfigMgr Pro Team

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:53 AM
  • I had the same issue and it looks like I got it fixed.

I tried the "workaround" from "issue 1" from https://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2012/06/20/wsus-kb272011-common-issues-encountered-and-how-to-fix-them.aspx?Redirected=true. I removed the WSUS, reinstalled with keeping the database.

The synchronzation worked until I installed the KB again.

With the old WSUS version I got issues because the already updated wu agents on the client couldnt check for updates (because the certificates changed). So this was no solution for me to wait until it get fixed by MS.

I created a call with Microsoft Support. They suggested to reinstall with deleting the database.

I tried to export the configuration with WsusMigrationExport.exe as explained in the first link. And I got a 401 at this step.
    I remembered I had events in application log with "The API Remoting Web Service is not working." for a long time now once a day or so and after I run "wsusutil.exe checkhealth".
    And I could see 401 errors in the IIS log.

2012-07-25 00:04:42 W3SVC1 server1 192.168.111.4 POST /ApiRemoting30/WebService.asmx - 443 - 192.168.111.4 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+2.0.50727.5456) - - update.domain.de 401 2 5 229 336 0
    2012-07-25 00:04:42 W3SVC1 server1 192.168.111.4 POST /ApiRemoting30/WebService.asmx - 443 - 192.168.111.4 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+2.0.50727.5456) - - update.domain.de 401 1 3221225581 229 1003 0

I tried to fix this long time ago, but had no success. Now I googled and it hit me with this article http://www.wsus.info/index.php?showtopic=13964.

I also used not the real computername "server1" for the website, I used "update.domain.de" instead (in binding, in "wsusutil configuressl update.domain.de" and in the group policy).

Now before I installed the KB I fixed the APIRemoting error with this article and added update.domain.de and server1.domain.de.

Did a wsusutil.exe checkhealth without problems, did the wsusmigrationexport.exe without problems.

After I installed the KB and rebooted the server, the synchronization worked fine.

Looks like some of the synchronization code changed and needed the apiremoting to work now.

Remember, if you get this 401 error, check the health of the server when you reinstalled the WSUS 3.0 SP2 (before installing the KB), check the eventlog, if you get errors, check the iis logs for 401 errors, then fix it by using the article above.

And keep in mind, that when you use SSL and after you install the KB, the whole checkhealth is broken, as stated in the issue list in the KB article.

• Edited by brotbuexe Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by brotbuexe Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:41 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi this problem fix

On Command Line (CMD) -> cd "%PROGRAMFILES%\Update Services\Tools"

1.- wsusutil configuressl your.full.fqdn.servername  (Example: srv1.contoso.local)
    2.- restart wsusservice
    3.- restart bits
    4.- iisreset

Two sync and fix problem.

• Proposed as answer by Edelbrink Friday, January 17, 2014 11:57 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:50 PM