none
How to setup Remote Desktop in Windows 2008 server? (step by step)

Question

• do we still need to setup a separate terminal server line in windows SBS 2011 in Windows 2008 Server standard?
    Saturday, March 02, 2013 5:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is this for administrative purposes or are you using the full terminal server? If it's just administrative, enable remote desktop in Server Manager and it should automatically open up the firewall ports for RDP (if you still have problems after this, just check it did actually open up port 3389 (RDP)).

If full Term Services someone else may be able to help as I have no previous experience with this myself (I'm a Citrix XenDesktop person myself).

Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Following articles might help

WS 2008 TS Step by Step - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754288(v=ws.10).aspx

WS 2008 R2 TS Step by Step - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2009/07/07/new-step-by-step-guides-available-for-remote-desktop-services.aspx

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 5:23 AM
  • Do we still need to setup a separate terminal server machine running Windows 2008 Server standard in Windows SBS 2011 which is our Primary DC?
    We have spare IBM X server with Windows 2008 Server but our PDC Server runs with Windows SBS 2011. I found out in a forum that SBS 2011 can't be use for Remote Desktop it needs another machine to act as Terminal Server so I did what I read. We purchase additional 5 CALs setup for Per User. in SBS 2011 even it was configured properly it doesn't show the CALs it shows "0" but in 2008 server it detects the 5 but when we try to remote access the server from outside the local network (remote branch) only 2 user can access at the same time when the 3rd user tries message box comes up "Select a user to disconnect so that you may login There are too many users logged on" and the 2 users show it will ask us to disconnect one of the current 2 users logged on.

Setup:

Primary Domain Controller: 
    Dell PowerEdge T320
    NOS: Microsoft Windows SBS 2011
    MS Open License Remote Desktop CALS for 5 users
    Sonicwall NSA240
    D-Link 16port switch
    Cisco Linksys Router

We are using a public IP from (no-IP.com) to remote access the Server

Terminal Server: For Remote Dekstop
    IBM X Server
    MS Windows 2008 Server Standard
    Active Directory Disabled
    TS Services Roles activated
    5 CALS configured

IBM x Server act as Terminal Server is only member in Active Directory Primary Domain Controller.

Please, kindly help us to solve this any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and God bless.

Carlo

• Edited by Carlo_Pogi Monday, March 04, 2013 10:06 AM
    Sunday, March 03, 2013 5:24 AM
  • AFAIK Yes, You would need to configure the terminal server role on WS 2008 to allow 5 users to log on remotely.

I am moving this thread to  RDS forum, where you might get some additional inputs.

Thanks

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Do not use your SBS as a Terminal Server!

Setup another machine for that, TS for SBS-server is only for administrative purposes and should not be used for applications.

--
    Goran Johansson
    http://gjohansson.com/blog

Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:52 AM
  • I setup a second server (Terminal Server) which is the IBM xServer running Windows 2008 server, do i need also to establish an Active Directory on this machine? Because the Primary Domain Controller is our Dell PowerEdge and Active Directory is there where all computers and users configured ther?
    We just make the IBM xServer's Windows 2008 Server a member on the Primary Domain which is the Dell with Win SBS 2011?

• Edited by Carlo_Pogi Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:04 AM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:41 AM
  • I believe there are no problem in the setup of TS everything seems fine and running all status says ok, even the 5 CALS but whenever we tried to access remotely the 2 users can access without any problem but the 3rd one it will ask to disconnect either of the 2 current user connected I believe it still uses the free built-in 2 rd user not our 5 user CALs: Do we need to use what is in the Advanced tab  of mstsc Connect Using RD Gateway in that way it will use the 5 Cals?

• Edited by Carlo_Pogi Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:51 AM