none
Migrate from SBS 2003/Server 2003 to Server 2012 R2 Essentials - client impact during grace period

Question

• I'm planning a migration of an SBS2003 server to server 2012 R2 Ess with a mix of XP & Win7 clients:

- will the XP clients continue to work during the 21day grace period when the 20212 server "lives" besides the SBS2003 server
    - will the LOB applications continue to work on the SBS2003 server during the 21day grace period. As such I could plan the move to the 2012 Ess server during the 21 days.
    - Do I need to re-add the Win7 clients to the 2012 Ess R2 server or will the migration (via replica DC) take care of this? If so, will the essentials features be added (like PC backup) to the Win7 clients without re-adding them via the 2012 Ess R2 connect computer Wiz?

Thanks for your help!

Mike
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:13 PM

Answers

• XP is not officially supported on essentials 2012 R2. Basic AD *should* continue to work, but if it doesn't you will not get official support to resolve issues.

Each LOB application is different. Most wouldn't care, but that is not a blanket statement I'd be willing to make. Exchange 2013, for example, didn't like *any* domain controllers running 2012 R2, and wasn't supported until SP1. Third party LOB apps could have similar restrictions. You really have to check with the LOB vendors individually.

Essenntials-specific features require the connector, which requires running the connect utility. AD replication alone won't bring those features online for your existing clients.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:27 PM

All replies

• XP is not officially supported on essentials 2012 R2. Basic AD *should* continue to work, but if it doesn't you will not get official support to resolve issues.

Each LOB application is different. Most wouldn't care, but that is not a blanket statement I'd be willing to make. Exchange 2013, for example, didn't like *any* domain controllers running 2012 R2, and wasn't supported until SP1. Third party LOB apps could have similar restrictions. You really have to check with the LOB vendors individually.

Essenntials-specific features require the connector, which requires running the connect utility. AD replication alone won't bring those features online for your existing clients.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Thanks for the swift response.

I know that XP isn't supported but I was curious about the grace period.

Anyway, as I read it, I will even have to re-add the Win7 clients to get full essentials support. So I thing that a complete new domain will be the way to go. I'll remove the Win7 from the 2003 domain and replace the XP's anyway. All the Win7 will be added to the new domain. The LOB can continue to work in the legacy domain, with the XP clients until the software vendor moved it to the Server 2012...

Thanks

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:35 PM