none
Mac OS: RD Web Access on RDS Win2k8 R2

Question

• Hi,

I have applications deployed with RDS on Windows Server 2008 R2. It works fine with any windows platform when I try to access the applications through Web Access.

But in Mac OS case, it prompt out this error statement: "RD Web Access does not support this operating system."

As far as I am concern, Microsoft has released the Remote Desktop Connection for Mac 2; which stated it supports Remote Desktop on Windows Server 2008 R2 as well. Fo you info, the Mac Os is 10.6.6

Can anyone help me to clarify this, please?

Is there any other way I can enable WebAccess for Mac OS?

Thanks,

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

RD Web Access is not supported under Mac OS.

The RD Client for Mac does not support RemoteApps, RDWeb is designed to interface with the RD Activex, which is not supported on Mac, and RDWeb supports use of RD Gateway, which is not supported by the Mac RD Client.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

-TP

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

RD Web Access is not supported under Mac OS.

The RD Client for Mac does not support RemoteApps, RDWeb is designed to interface with the RD Activex, which is not supported on Mac, and RDWeb supports use of RD Gateway, which is not supported by the Mac RD Client.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

-TP

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi TP,

Any Links/References that can clarify this as I have to report this to my clients.

I have read a few posts related to this issue but cannot managed to find any strong evidence or clarification from Microsoft itself.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft purposefully designed RD Web to display the error "RD Web Access does not support this operating system. To see a list of supported operating systems, click..." when a user connects from a computer running an unsupported OS.  That is strong evidence from Microsoft.

Did you click the link that showed up next to the error message?  Does it resolve to a page with a list of supported operating systems?  If yes then you have something to send your clients.

Additionally I have provided you with multiple technical reasons why it is not supported under Mac OS.

I do not know of a published Microsoft support document that explicitly states that RDWeb is not supported on a Mac.  If this is something you need then I suggest you open a case with Microsoft Product Support Services.  You should be able to have them send you an e-mail (after the rep researches it) stating that RDWeb is not supported under Mac OS.

-TP

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Thanks guys..since it is confirmed, then I'll report this to the clients.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:38 AM
  • Another client here ASKING Microsoft to support RDS on Windows 2008 R2 on a MAC client.  I have at least 10 MAC Homeusers I can't provide remote access to because of lack of support from the MAC RDC Client
    Friday, May 06, 2011 10:21 PM
  • My solution was iTap for Mac.

It supports TS Gateway for RDP..

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:30 PM