none
Need to P2V a Windows 2003 servers which are already in a microsoft cluster

Question

• Hi,

Can any one help me to find the way that , how can i p2v a a windows 2003 servers which are already in a cluster mode.

can any one help me on this??

Thanks,

B/R

Hasitha

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:31 AM

Answers

• Can I perform P2V conversions on one or all of the physical nodes of an existing Microsoft cluster?

You cannot perform a P2V conversion to convert a failover cluster to a guest cluster. VMM does not recognize a failover cluster as a P2V source if you specify a cluster name or node name for a P2V conversion. To create a guest cluster, you can perform a P2V conversion on each individual cluster node by using VMM and then manually configure the failover cluster of the resultant virtual machines by using cluster management tools. For more information about offline P2V conversions, see P2V: Converting Physical Computers to Virtual Machines in VMM .

Source http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd221390.aspx

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:54 AM

All replies

• Can I perform P2V conversions on one or all of the physical nodes of an existing Microsoft cluster?

You cannot perform a P2V conversion to convert a failover cluster to a guest cluster. VMM does not recognize a failover cluster as a P2V source if you specify a cluster name or node name for a P2V conversion. To create a guest cluster, you can perform a P2V conversion on each individual cluster node by using VMM and then manually configure the failover cluster of the resultant virtual machines by using cluster management tools. For more information about offline P2V conversions, see P2V: Converting Physical Computers to Virtual Machines in VMM .

Source http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd221390.aspx

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

Thx for the reply. i mean now in my office, i have some cluster enable servers. so i am planning to run all these server in Hyper-V environment. so i am planning to do a P2V for that. so what will be the procedure for these clustered servers which are in my present syste??

Hasitha

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 12:01 PM
  • Hi Hasitha,

First of All, Guest Clustering can be only done using ISCSI SAN, So make sure that your SAN is supporting ISCSI connections or you have to prepare new one.

you can perform a P2V conversion on each individual cluster node by using VMM and then manually configure the failover cluster of the resultant virtual machines by using cluster management tools. Stop Cluster service on the node that you will convert and start the conversion process.

make sure to move all cluster resources to the other node before starting this process. Do that for all your cluster nodes one by one ( Of course you will start the cluster service on the first node after conversion and move resource back to it to start the conversion of the second node )

The Challenging part here is the storage since you will change the storage connection from FC to iSCSI. I would recommend you to present the iSCSI LUNs to your Servers and move the cluster resources to it before the conversion. This way you will present the same LUNs to the guest cluster later.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

Ok Fawzi. i will chk on this and if anything ill let u know.

Thanks for the support.

Hasitha

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 3:23 PM