none
windows server 2003r2std

Question

• hi there

had a problem with live update on the 24/2/2013

it wrote to the security section of the registry and changed all the paswords and i cant now access the machine at all

any one know a solution to this problem or which is the right forum to ask it in

thanks derek!!!!!

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• had a problem with live update on the 24/2/2013

it wrote to the security section of the registry and changed all the paswords 

Strange ! Windows updates don't change any passwords on the machine/s. It could be something else !

i cant now access the machine at all

What does that mean ? Can you ping your server ?

Remote Desktop is accessible or not ?

If it's remote desktop which is inaccessible, try logging on the server using console and start Terminal services.

OR, you get log on screen and password doesn't work ?

If password is not working, try resetting the password

How To Remove Passwords Using Offline NT Password & Registry Editor 

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/ontpre-screenshot-guide.htm

How To Recover Passwords Using Ophcrack LiveCD

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/ophcracksbs.htm

Resetting Passwords with the DaRT

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/resetting-passwords-with-the-diagnostics-and-recovery-toolset.aspx

Thanks

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:26 PM
  •  hi there  santosh

sorry that description is woefull but was only used to get in the right forum.

the server was a cold standby and was not as such loaded with anything on it being passed to me.

i use the machine soley as a desktop running graphics and cad for my business.

the machine was working ok till 03 00 on the 14/2 by 08 00 on the 14/2 the machine had rebooted due to live update and no longer acepted the administrator password which is the only password on the machine.

having a password craking disk and ussing it the sam file and the security file had both been updated about 4am on the 14/2

i know that this is not conclusive that it was the up date but that password had been working for at least a month with no problems the other thing that could have changed is the keyboard mapping which would screw the pass word will check that as well  

the password disk i have wont touch the disk because and this is an asumption here there is a domain but it is not used for anything.

would not have a clue how to use remote console will look into that i assume the machine is working ok it does log on to the router so is as far as i can tell ok othere than this minor password problem!!!!!

i will also look into the other password crakers as well

thanks very much for that helpfull answer

thanks derek!!!!! 

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:33 PM