none
Delaying WSUS client process from starting at boot up for a set period of time?

Question

• I am attempting to prevent either the Symantec AV suite or WSUS from starting up together at boot up time, as they both use hefty SVCHOST.EXE resource and it kills the response time on the PC.

Is there any way I can delay a client from contacting the WSUS server, say for around 30 minutes? I really don't need the WUAUCLT.EXE program starting during the first 30 minutes of a PC boot.

Cheers.

Neil McAlister - MCP / MCDST
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:19 PM

Answers

• I am attempting to prevent either the Symantec AV suite or WSUS from starting up together at boot up time, as they both use hefty SVCHOST.EXE resource and it kills the response time on the PC.

Is there any way I can delay a client from contacting the WSUS server, say for around 30 minutes? I really don't need the WUAUCLT.EXE program starting during the first 30 minutes of a PC boot.

On Windows Vista and newer systems, the Windows Update service automatically starts with a delay. On Windows Server 2003 and earlier systems, this is not an option.

However, the resources used by the WUAUSERV at system start up are generally very light, so if you're seeing excessive CPU utilization, perhaps you should research that as an issue in need of repair.

I would suggest starting with this thread from this forum in October, 2009.

Also, you should ensure that your AV software is not scanning folders it shouldn't be scanning -- like %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download -- which would certainly cause some painful performance issues if the WUAgent is reinstating pending downloads at power on and every one of those files is being AV scanned coming across the network.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:19 PM