none
Running 2012 DC on a 2008 R2 Hyper-V server

Question

• Is it a safe solution to run a virtualized 2012 server who’s only role is a Domain Controller on a 2008 R2 server running Hyper-V and two other logical partitions also running 2008 R2 ( one is File / Print, the other is a distribution point for SCCM )    

I will also have two dedicated DCs running 2012 at my data center ( as well as multiple DC at my corporate parent site ) and these remote DCs will be supporting less the 40 users each and are in place to support the remote sites during WAN outage.

The other option with the licenses I have is to upgrade the Hyper-V Manager with 2012, building the new DC partition as 2012, and run the other two partitions as 2008 R2.   Can 2012 upgrade over the existing 2008 R2 server without clearing the logical partitions?

Friday, April 19, 2013 7:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• I would chouse the secound Option and upgrade or even better install a fresh Windows 2012 on drive c:. If you have no snapshots you are save to go. Either you have the Option to Import them in Windows 2012 or if that Fails you can create a new VM with the VHD.

Grüße/Regards Carsten Rachfahl | MVP Virtual Machine | MCT | MCITP | MCSA | CCA | Husband and Papa | www.hyper-v-server.de | First German Gold Virtualisation Kompetenz Partner ---- If my answer is helpful please mark it as answer or press the green arrow.

Friday, April 19, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

You can refer to following articles to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V:

Single Hyper-V Server Running Windows Server 2008 R2 with GUI In Place Upgrade to Windows Server 2012 with GUI
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16289.hyper-v-upgrade-hyper-v-2008-r2-to-windows-server-2012.aspx

The upgrade worked, but there are several things to be aware of before you start:

1.  No one else must be logged on to the computer when you begin the upgrade, except one user a member of local Administrators.

2.  All virtual machines much be in the Off state. Saved virtual machines will be identified as a reason the upgrade cannot proceed.

3.  Do not try an in place upgrade by starting booting from the DVD, you will be told to run from inside the operating system.

4.  You will not lose your virtual machine snapshots, but you are told that once you revert to a snapshot, you lose all the newer snapshots. Effectively, you lose the use of your snapshots, but you don't lose the actual snapshots. You just have to pick the snapshot that you want to start from and then you effectively lose the rest.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Upgrading to Windows Server 2012 – Part 1
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/10/23/upgrading-to-windows-server-2012-part-1.aspx
    Upgrading to Windows Server 2012 - Part 4
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/10/31/upgrading-to-windows-server-2012-part-4.aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 22, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem or do you have any further progress?

If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Lawrence

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:19 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Lawrence

Friday, April 26, 2013 9:11 AM
  • I travel to the first location I plan to add the DC to the server in place this week and hope to start the conversion Tuesday or Wednesday night.    Thanks...
    Monday, April 29, 2013 1:48 PM