none
Keyboard not working correctly in MMC

Question

• I have Windows 7 (x86 and x64). I'm using the remote management tools to manage my group policies, active directory, HyperV manager, etc.

The problem is the keyboard isn't reliable in the MMC. Backspace doesn't work, arrow keys don't work....I tried to rename a group policy today to "RDP Settings" but when I got to the "T" it acts like a shortcut key or something, refreshes the page and changes it's focus somewhere else...

These are random events. They'll begin to occur, last for a few minutes, and then later I can use my keyboard like normal. It's ridiculous. It's been an annoying issue for the last 6 months for sure. In that time frame I have reloaded my machine...changed from 64 bit to 32 bit...problem still exists...

Anyone else (other then my co-workers) experienced this?

Friday, August 27, 2010 6:15 PM

Answers

•  That's odd,have you tried the other usual fixes:

- Switching USB ports
    - Remove any USB devices other than keyboard and mouse
    - Switch from ports on the back of the system to the front (goal is to
    get a different controller)
    - Try a PS/2 keyboard and mouse (if the systems support them)

Are you getting anything odd in the plug and play device log, for me this is
    C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log

Are you receiving any other events/warnings in the event logs?

Is the behavior isolated to one particular type of computer or one
    particular type of keyboard/mouse?

-- Mike Burr
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:21 PM

All replies

•  Do you have anything going on with redirected input between two
    systems, such as synergy:

Are you using RDP to access the Windows system? What kind of keyboard
    and mouse are you using (and are any applicable drivers up to date)?

-- Mike Burr
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:27 PM
  • None of us are using synergy or anything of the sort.  We have three separate computers, different mice and keyboards. We are just using a Windows 7 computer, with Remote Management tools installed to control our services via the MMC console.

~Scott

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:38 PM
  •  That's odd,have you tried the other usual fixes:

- Switching USB ports
    - Remove any USB devices other than keyboard and mouse
    - Switch from ports on the back of the system to the front (goal is to
    get a different controller)
    - Try a PS/2 keyboard and mouse (if the systems support them)

Are you getting anything odd in the plug and play device log, for me this is
    C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log

Are you receiving any other events/warnings in the event logs?

Is the behavior isolated to one particular type of computer or one
    particular type of keyboard/mouse?

-- Mike Burr
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Dear Scott

Try the PS2 KB and see and pls let me know 

Thanks 

Damie

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:29 AM
  • I've seen this problem first-hand.  This is not a hardware issue.  It's a known bug with GPMC:

https://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/05/05/rsat-release-candidate-for-windows-7-ehh-release-candidate.aspx?PageIndex=2#comments

Microsoft is aware of the crappy code, but considers a fix to be low priority since a work around exists.

• Proposed as answer by newmanth Tuesday, October 05, 2010 10:46 PM
    Tuesday, October 05, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Btw, here's your answer:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/05/05/rsat-release-candidate-for-windows-7-ehh-release-candidate.aspx

Or just make sure you don't have the "settings" tab open (at least that's the case when you're using GPMC).  What boggles me is the author of that blog says nothing can be done until someone opens a case?!  How strange is that.  It's a bug, why wouldn't you want to fix it?

strange....

Mike

• Proposed as answer by Dan Cooley Friday, July 12, 2013 6:21 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 1:00 AM
  • So many many months down the line.... there’s still no solution for this apparently? Clearly MS are aware but care little (unless you want to pay premiere support to investigate that is).

Its annoying the hell out of me as I'm spending much of my day in MMC. Unable to rename objects or use backspace arrow keys at random times. I use a custom MMC where this occurs in GPMC ADUC etc. I also use a standalone MMC for SCCM and get the same issues.

I'm one of a few admins here griping about this problem. Were all running Win7 x86 SP1 Enterprise and patched up to the max... Sounds like this issue has been around since the Win7 RC. Still present in RTM version and SP1. I guess we can hope its fixed in SP2 :(

Thursday, November 03, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Got the exact same issue. Running MMC with AD and GPOeditor snap-in with Domain Admin account on Norwegian Win7 OS. No idea why this hasn't been addressed.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Hi All,

This problem was driving me nuts too !!!  I found a MS KB about this problem :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466373

I installed it today and it seems to work for me !

Dominic

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Right on!!!!!!!!!!!!  Works great.  Only took MS two years to figure out that their "bug by design" was actually a bug... gosh!
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Have been living with this bug for ages. Can a moderator please unmark Mike Burr's response as the answer and mark Dominic C at CUSM response as the true answer.

Thanks Dominic!

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 3:55 AM
  • The OP, ODOE, can do that.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:04 PM
  • FWIW, I also tried pressing "ALT-116" (which is the ASCII code for lowercase "t") and this also causes the F5 refresh symptom in MMC. An uppercase T can be typed without issues. I installed hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466373, but it did NOT fix the issue.

The symptom I'm seeing:

1. RDP (or use physical console, makes no difference) to Windows Server 2008 R2.

2. Open Group Policy Management MMC.

3. Select GPO, right-click, Rename (or highlight name of GPO).

4. Attempt to provide a new name containing a lower case "t". 

Symptom: Rename aborted, MMC screen refreshes (as if I've pressed F5 or hit the refresh toolbar button).

New question thread started since this thread is already marked as answered. See: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverManagement/thread/93348b63-242b-44df-bb18-726017a1888e

• Edited by George Perkins Monday, November 05, 2012 10:20 PM added hyperlink to new thread
    Monday, November 05, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Spot on, cheers Dominic.

Monday, June 03, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Thanks Dominic. Works a treat, saved a lot of time !

Ramu V Ramanan

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:49 AM