none
scsi controller in winxp 32 bit vm not supported on hyperv?

Question

• Is the scssi miniport still not supported in winxp 32 bit vm on hyperv?
    If so can one upgrade a xp 32 bit to 64 bit and then install the scsi driver  on a 64 bit hyperv host? 

I am aware back in 2008 John said no support for 32 bit xp minport drive.. now that there is hyper v full release and R2, are things any different respect to scsi driver?
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 5:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, I can confirm this.

The following post discussed the similar issue, you can refer to:

HyperV scsi syntheric drivers don"t run under Windows XP SP3

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/c61bcb19-30b0-4fea-a68a-6e2fb7b90710/

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, January 11, 2010 5:37 AM
  • unfortunately relying on IDE will leave me only 4 port to connect dvd, vhd. I need more.

Also the referred tread  is rather old 2008. so is three any plan for ms to fix the problem for XP guest under hyper V for w2008 standard or R2?
    Friday, January 22, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

I will report this to our product team. However, I don’t think there will be a ‘fix’.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, January 25, 2010 3:49 AM
  • Hi,

are things any different respect to scsi driver?

>> It is dependent on storport with virtual miniport support to achieve, and that was only back ported to Windows Server 2003. But SCSI will work on XP x64 as this is the same codebase as 2K3.

By the way, What is the scenario where 4 IDE disks is a limitation in your environment? Each IDE disk supports up to 2 TB for a total of 8 TB using 4 IDE disks for an XP VM.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:11 AM