none
How do I implement an alternate UPN suffix

Question

• Hello all and thanks for your time and expertise.

I wanted to implement an alternate UPN suffix.  This suffix is the same as the suffix we use with e-mail and would be easier for our user base.

Anyway, I added the suffix I wanted to use in domains and trusts.  However, you still can't log on with this alternate suffix and it doesn't show as another option.  What other steps are necessary so that we can use another upn suffix.  Your insights and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Our domain and forest functional level is server 2003.  We have a mix of xp and win7 clients.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

Its seems that you are already implented alternate UPN suffix, If not follow this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243629

Have you implemented multiple UPNs? If you are  implementing multiple UPNs, you will need to define what UPN a users got to use for logon. You can do that at in "Account" tab of user account's "Properties". There's a drop down list to select the UPN.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Abhijit Waikar.
    MCSA 2003 | MCSA:Messaging | MCTS | MCITP:Server Administrator | Microsoft Community Contributor | My Blog

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:10 PM
  • I'm testing this out and I did as you recommened and set a user's account properties to the alternate upn but the option doesn't show up when i try and log on with the upn on a client.  There must be something else that has to be done. 
    Monday, February 27, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

For example, the domain name is Contoso.com, the UPN is ABC.com, the user name is Test, please try to type Test@ABC.com in the “User name” when log into Contoso.com to check if it works normally.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:49 AM
  •  

Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 02, 2012 6:02 AM