none
Upgrade 2012 to 2012 R2?

Question

• Considering deployment of Windows Server 2012, but want to be able to do in-place upgrade to R2 if/when it becomes available and/or advised later on. Doable?
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:12 PM

Answers

• R2 is just an update and it has always been installable on the R1 version of the OS.  Thus, it is doable.  You should proceed!

That is a brave statement. R2 in the past has not been an update but a new version of the OS (ie an upgrade). Are you sure you are not confusing this with Service Packs (or confusing update and upgrade)?

Bill

• Marked as answer by BearPaw Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:22 AM

All replies

• R2 is just an update and it has always been installable on the R1 version of the OS.  Thus, it is doable.  You should proceed!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 11:34 PM

That is a brave statement. R2 in the past has not been an update but a new version of the OS (ie an upgrade). Are you sure you are not confusing this with Service Packs (or confusing update and upgrade)?

Bill

• Marked as answer by BearPaw Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:22 AM
  • Windows 2003 R2 was an update.  Windows 2008 R2 was a whole new OS.  In both cases, you were able to upgrade in-place.  I would assume there is a supported in-place upgrade path to the next version of Windows Server, but Microsoft will not likely announce this officially until later in the build cycle.

FWIW, I don't like doing in-place upgrades of operating systems unless necessary.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:30 AM