none
Error: 0xC004F050 The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid

Question

• Hi there,

I'm trying to activate a KMS Host, and I have installed KMS (KMSW2K3.exe) and  WindowsServer2003-KB948003-x86-ENU.exe, as per the instructions in the document: "Key Management Service v1 1 for Windows Server 2003 Step-By-Step Guide.doc"

Next I am typing: cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <valid KMS key copied and pasted from eopen>

And I am getting the error: Error: 0xC004F050 The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Steve.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 10:39 AM

Answers

• In the end I manually registered it, with a phone call to Microsoft and reading out a very large number to them, and putting their reply in. What a convoluted process!

And then I discover this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303276.aspx#_Key_Management_Service

“KMS can activate both physical and virtual computers, but to qualify for KMS activation a network must have a minimum number of physical computers, called the activation threshold. KMS clients activate only after this threshold is met. To ensure that the activation threshold is met, a KMS host counts the number of physical computers requesting activation on the network. The count of activation requests is a combination of both Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 computers. However, each of these operating systems begins activating after a different threshold is met. The Windows Server 2008 KMS client threshold is five (5) physical computers. The Windows Vista KMS client threshold is twenty-five (25) physical computers. Virtual computers do not contribute to the activation count, but virtual computers are activated by KMS after the physical computer threshold is met.”

All I've got is one computer I'm trying to test!

Sometimes I despair!
    Steve.

• Marked as answer by Big_Robbo Tuesday, November 03, 2009 12:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 12:59 AM

All replies

• I discovered the problem with that message. I need KMS v1.2.

Now I have that installed and the /ipk command works ok. However when I do the /ato, I get this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cscript slmgr.vbs /ato
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

This operation connects over the Internet to send the appropriate computer infor
    mation, such as the types of hardware you are using and the product ID, to the M
    icrosoft activation server. By using this Software, you consent to the transmiss
    ion of this information. Microsoft does not use the information to identify or c
    ontact you. Learn more online at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=106348
    Do you want to continue [y/n]?
    y
    Activating Windows(TM) Server 2003 KMS, W7R2-Kms1 edition (d188820a-cb63-4bad-a9
    a2-40b843ee23b7) ...
    Run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0x80072EFD' to display the error text.
    Error: 0x80072EFD

What has happened?

Thanks,
    Steve.

Monday, November 02, 2009 11:05 AM
  • In the end I manually registered it, with a phone call to Microsoft and reading out a very large number to them, and putting their reply in. What a convoluted process!

And then I discover this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303276.aspx#_Key_Management_Service

“KMS can activate both physical and virtual computers, but to qualify for KMS activation a network must have a minimum number of physical computers, called the activation threshold. KMS clients activate only after this threshold is met. To ensure that the activation threshold is met, a KMS host counts the number of physical computers requesting activation on the network. The count of activation requests is a combination of both Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 computers. However, each of these operating systems begins activating after a different threshold is met. The Windows Server 2008 KMS client threshold is five (5) physical computers. The Windows Vista KMS client threshold is twenty-five (25) physical computers. Virtual computers do not contribute to the activation count, but virtual computers are activated by KMS after the physical computer threshold is met.”

All I've got is one computer I'm trying to test!

Sometimes I despair!
    Steve.

• Marked as answer by Big_Robbo Tuesday, November 03, 2009 12:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Yea, I'm getting the same thing.  No answers, but you are not alone.  M$ is giving me the "we'll call you back in a day unless you want to pay more money than you already did for immediate support".  This is a volume license activation issue that could impact every single computer on my network, and they want to call me back in a day?

In my case KMS was working just fine (at least it seemd to be), then all of the sudden my computers pop up with an activation problem and count-down (which of course started over the weekend, leaving us with an emergency).  Based on my troubleshooting, it seems that KMS went away when I ran Microsoft updates on the server, but I can not know that for certain.  I see artifacts in the SP updates cache.  Let's not even mention that Microsoft documentation states KMS clients are not adversly impacted if the KMS server goes down -- we are not getting the documented "red bar"....we are getting a must activate in 2 days or else message.

So after spending time scratching to find the issue, I discover the broken KMS host.  Great!  Re-install.  Now try to activate and I get the invalid key message (I am copy/pasting right out of my Volume Licensing Service Center portal...so I know it is right).  Aaarrrggg!

I have a bunch of choice cuss words I'd like to throw at Microsoft right now.  They go off half-cocked to "fight piracy", and are creating extra work / extra cost for paying customers.  If my Office products quit working on every computer it would be a HUGE cost to productivity (maybe I could sue?).

M$ needs to figure out a better way, because this activation !*?# is really ticking people off.  Wonder if they even care.

• Edited by Mikey 999 Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:39 PM
  • Situation: 1 (old) laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate having a valid license. Got a new desktop PC and want to move the license from the laptop to the desktop PC. Removing worked, but adding the license fails with the message discussed here:

1. Laptop: slmgr /dlv --> displays the activation id (put it to a text file)
    2. Laptop: slmrg /upk <key> --> success
    3. Desktop: slmrg /upk <key> --> success

There is some mismatch between "activation id" and "product id" ... When using the product id from the laptop (now not activated since I uninstalled the product key)

Having two formats of product IDs:

00123-123-1234567-12345 (worked on laptop, only consists of numbers)

123AB-123AB-123AB-123AB-12345 (not works; numbers and letters)

Which kinds of product keys are the described above?

Reactivation of the laptop now fails with the same message!
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:09 AM