none
Windows time not syncing

Question

• I have a Windows 2003 64Bit server as a DC running exchange 2007, the time on the server keeps getting out of sync causing problems.

I have tried to unregister the w32tm using the command “w23tm /unregister” command and I get an error “access is denied”  and when I run the ““w23tm /register” command I get “The specified service has been marked for deletion”

Please help me solve this problem time should not be this hard to fix!

Does anyone know of a 3ed party program that will keep the server time in sync?

• Changed type Tad Amore Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is the server a virtual machine? Based on my experience, the error “access is denied” may occur if there are some other time providers registered on the machine (under the w32time registry key) because it fails to delete the subkeys added by the time providers. As a result, you will get the error “The specified service has been marked for deletion” when you run the command “w32tm /register” after that.

To resolve the issue, please restart the computer and run the “w32tm /register” command.

Note: You may get the error “cannot create a stable subkey under a volatile parent key.” at the first time you run the command in this scenario. Please ignore the error and run the command again. This time, you should get the message indicating that w32time successfully registered.

By the way, please note that it is not recommended to install Exchange on DC. For more information:

This Exchange server is also a domain controller, which is not a recommended configuration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997407.aspx

Thanks.

Joson Zhou

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the server a virtual machine? Based on my experience, the error “access is denied” may occur if there are some other time providers registered on the machine (under the w32time registry key) because it fails to delete the subkeys added by the time providers. As a result, you will get the error “The specified service has been marked for deletion” when you run the command “w32tm /register” after that.

To resolve the issue, please restart the computer and run the “w32tm /register” command.

Note: You may get the error “cannot create a stable subkey under a volatile parent key.” at the first time you run the command in this scenario. Please ignore the error and run the command again. This time, you should get the message indicating that w32time successfully registered.

By the way, please note that it is not recommended to install Exchange on DC. For more information:

This Exchange server is also a domain controller, which is not a recommended configuration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997407.aspx

Thanks.

Joson Zhou

Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:09 AM
  • Hai,
    Try these simple steps too
    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    2. Type w32tm /resync, and then press ENTER

Check whether it is corrected

regards from www.windowsadmin.info

ManuPhilip
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:50 AM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? I'm wondering if the suggestion has helped. If you need further assistance, please feel free to respond back.

Thanks.

Joson Zhou

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:00 AM
  • Hi Jason

I tired to resync hovever I get RPC server unavailable. I checked that RPC service is running. Please help?

Thanks

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:18 AM
  • I had the same issue when  I wanted to reset the time settings on one of my boxes.

What I found was the time service was set to disabled but still running (according to the service panel). After a bit of tweaking, I managed to get it in a stopped state (Windows whined like hell) and then could successfully register the service correctly.

hth Himesh

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:53 PM
  • For me, I found that the issue was for unregistering the 'Windows Time' services while it is still running. Here is what I did to resolve the issue from the command line:

net stop "Windows Time"

w32tm /register

net start "Windows Time"

To verify that everything is working, run the following:

w32tm /query /status

or

w32tm /query /configuration /verbose

Good luck,

Eryk

• Edited by Eryk V Friday, July 05, 2013 10:10 PM Fix stuff
    Friday, July 05, 2013 10:06 PM