none
Offline Files Error Message "Unable to merge offline changes.."

Question

• This morning a client of mine started to see a bubble on most of his computers (approximately 1000) with the following dialog:

Offline Files (\\company.com\public on John Smith - PC Technician (domainname)):
    Unable to merge offline changes on \\company.com\public. The parameter is incorrect.

Obviously I changed some of the private information.

Firstly, why would everyone be getting the error message for a specific user?
    Secondly, why would this offline files message be referencing a specific user? In this example John Smith (plus this user accounts description).

My initial thoughts are to simply disable caching on the root share \\company.com\public, but am not certain that this won't hinder people from utilizing offline files from folders within the root.

Idea's?

Monday, November 09, 2009 7:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

It could be possible that some files on the DFS shared \\company.com\public cannot be synchronized from server share and Clients side.

Troubleshoot:

1. Please reduce the length of as many paths as you can.

2. Please stop antivirus from scanning the CSC folder on client and if there is antivirus application.

3. Please also re-initalize the CSC database on the clients.

If you can disable the caching of the files, the client will try to re-sync the server share to locally caching when you enable it again.

How to re-initialize the offline files cache and database
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738

Hope it helps.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, November 16, 2009 4:11 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hello Jeff,

What is the OS version of problematic client?

Have you looked at the total share character length of the \\company.com\public ?

You may expand the root share \\company.com\public, if the root share \\company.com\public which pushes the file over 256 characters limit, you will get this error in Windows XP.

In order to try resolving the problem, please shorten the path length for a try.

Moreover, the Offline Files (CSC or Client Side Caching) cache and database has a built-in capability to restart if its contents are suspected of being corrupted. If corruption is suspected, the Synchronization Wizard may return the following error message:

Unable to merge offline changes on \\server_name\share_name . The parameter is incorrect.

Please refer to the methods in the following KB article to re-initialize the offline files cache to see if it can help to resolve the issue.

Features and functions in version 1.1 of the Client-Side Caching Command-Line Options command-line tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/884739

If the issue still continues, please take a screenshot of the error message and send it to us via tfwst@microsoft.com

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

David Shen

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:21 AM
  • David -

What is the OS version of problematic client?

* Windows XP SP2 and SP3

Have you looked at the total share character length of the \\company.com\public ?

* Yes, it is "public", so it's 5 char's

As for the other information you posted, I have also read these technet articles, but they do not explain my core question; Why would 1000 users all of a sudden see an Offline Files sync issue associated with a specific user (READ: not them)?

Could you please advise on why this situation might occur, as well as the feasibility of my disabling caching of files within the root share?

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:41 PM
  • I could be wrong but the impression I have is caching is enabled on a share basis e.g. just type "net share /?" and it seems to imply that caching is on a share level basis. Of course, you can still set NTFS ACLs on the folders within a share

Dilip
    www.msftmvp.com and VHD tools at www.VMUtil.com
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

It could be possible that some files on the DFS shared \\company.com\public cannot be synchronized from server share and Clients side.

Troubleshoot:

1. Please reduce the length of as many paths as you can.

2. Please stop antivirus from scanning the CSC folder on client and if there is antivirus application.

3. Please also re-initalize the CSC database on the clients.

If you can disable the caching of the files, the client will try to re-sync the server share to locally caching when you enable it again.

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, November 16, 2009 4:11 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:21 AM