none
Unable to login. Error: The requested operation cannot be completed because the terminal connection is currently busy ....

Question

• I was having network problems while trying to connect through TSG and now it refuses to let me login and I receive this message:

The requested operation cannot be completed because the terminal connection is currently busy processing a connect, disconnect, reset, or delete operation.

I have been getting this message for at least 12 hours now.

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:09 PM

Answers

• I had the same issue, fixed it like this:

Start Process Explorer on your terminal server ( http://live.sysinternals.com/procexp.exe )
    Search up the username that got the error
    You should find a winlogon.exe process connected to the user with the problem, get the PID and kill it in Process Explorer or Task Manager

Kinda the same as JGBtypeR said, just that I couldnt see the ID in term server manager.

No restart needed.

Jan Ove
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:17 AM
  •  

Hi,

What is the OS version of your TSG and remote server?  I recall seeing a similar issue in the past and it may have been fixed in more recent WS08 builds.  I'll double-check, but you may have to reboot your remote server or just log-in locally.  If this is the same issue, I don't think this is actually related to the fact that you're going through a TSG connection. 

Thanks,

Drew

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:02 PM
    Owner

All replies

•  

Hi,

What is the OS version of your TSG and remote server?  I recall seeing a similar issue in the past and it may have been fixed in more recent WS08 builds.  I'll double-check, but you may have to reboot your remote server or just log-in locally.  If this is the same issue, I don't think this is actually related to the fact that you're going through a TSG connection. 

Thanks,

Drew

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:02 PM
    Owner
  •  

Unfortunately I don't know anything other than its Server 2008. It would seem that someone rebooted the TSG server (or whatever server actually runs the applications) so its working for me again. Thanks anyways. Smile
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

My users sometimes get this error message as well: "The requested operation cannot be completed because the terminal connection is currently busy processing a connect, disconnect, reset, or delete operation."

I run a Windows Server 2008 x64 standard edition.

They get this if the press escape or cancel the login process during the logon. They do that cus they sometimes feel the logon takes to long time.
    They cannot use that account until the server is restarted.

The problem is that I cannot see them in the task manager or even the Terminal Service Manager. So i cannot disconnect or remove them from the server. This is a bigger and bigger problem for us. We have 80 users on each terminal server and I cannot restart it during daytime.

Regards
    Daniel

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:26 AM
  • We were having the same issues, but I can see the logon attempt sitting in Terminal Services Manager listed as Disconnected.  I tried doing resets on them, but that made no difference.
    It does list a session ID in term server manager, so I took that ID and just killed winlogon.exe in the task manager.  It then killed the other processes that session was using too.  I then verified that it did kill that user's session as I could now log in as them!

• Proposed as answer by SatishMaurya Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:53 AM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:16 PM
  • For anyone that is having issues resetting user sessions, you might try using the command prompt.
    The command prompt may show you things that the GUI might not be showing you for whatever reason.

For instance, say you want to find and reset a disconnected session on a terminal server for user kristin.griffin.

First run this command against the terminal server:

query session kristin.griffin /server:SERVERNAMEHERE

this should return information about any sessions open for kristin.griffin.  The data will include a session ID. Use this session ID in the next command to end the session:

reset session ID-NUMBER-HERE /server:SERVER-NAME-HERE

More about managing terminal services from CLI here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725766.aspx

Also in the Terminal Services Resource Kit (Chapter 8).

Hope this helps!

Kristin L. Griffin

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:27 PM
  • I had the same issue, fixed it like this:

Start Process Explorer on your terminal server ( http://live.sysinternals.com/procexp.exe )
    Search up the username that got the error
    You should find a winlogon.exe process connected to the user with the problem, get the PID and kill it in Process Explorer or Task Manager

Kinda the same as JGBtypeR said, just that I couldnt see the ID in term server manager.

No restart needed.

Jan Ove
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:17 AM
  • Hi to all,
    I have same problem with windows 2003 ENT with SP2 server, and i tried process explorer and killed the proccess. now able to login but i think this is temp solution. Within two days again i faced same problem on the same server as well as three more servers with same OS and all.

Please provide permanent solution for the same. If it is known problem, microsoft should provide solution.

• Proposed as answer by sindylou Friday, July 16, 2010 10:15 PM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:02 AM
  • This is the solution that I used - thank you very much.

Only problem when I did it was that even in procexp.exe, I couldn't see a winlogon.exe process for that user - none of the winlogon.exe processes had a meaningful username attached

I had to add the session ID and username fields to the view, then sort by process name to view all of the winlogon.exe processes running.

I then used a process of elimination to find the correct session ID to kill - therefore a session ID that didn't have any other processes running for named users.

The problem session had only three processes running - winlogon.exe and two others. Killed Winlogon.exe for that session and tested - user could now logon.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:29 AM
  • Thx you SBB1979 (and others above).
    Your method helped me track down who was locked up and it worked like a charm.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 4:30 PM
  • I have the same problem and opened a case with MS.  We are testing a hotfix to winlogon to see if it fixes the problem.  I should know in about a week.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 7:59 PM
  • I was wondering whether this has worked out yet for you.  Just had my first experience with this, as well.  If MS is looking for people to test out a fix/workaround, would be happy to volunteer.

Thank you.

-Mary
    Friday, February 19, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Hot fix Windows6.0-KB978489-x86 seems to have solved the problem for us.
    Good luck on this!
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:17 PM
  • I had this issue on the console (session 0) of the terminal server with the Administrator account.  When I killed the Winlogon.exe process associated with this user, it instantly restarted the entire server.  Be careful!

All attempts to remotely logoff the admin user failed.  This is win2k3r2sp2.

Monday, June 07, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Hot fix Windows6.0-KB978489-x86  did NOT fix the problem for me. 

MS analyzed a memory dump, and they are blaming it on a memory leak in the SAP client.  I am working with SAP support on that one.  Still no solution.

Monday, June 07, 2010 7:15 PM
  • I have tried this out, but, it returns that the user is not connected.

Furthermore, I cannot log on localy, I get the same error.

Windows Server 2008 STD 64bits. I did not try the "kills" suggested by other users because I cannot risk a crash.

I have noticed this hapening more often lately, but usualy it last only a few minutes and then I can logon again. This time is different.

If it is related to a group policy application, is there a way to reset policy implementation instead of the actual session? In this case I beleive it is related to the Machine side because there is no User session.

Tanks

Thomas

Friday, June 11, 2010 2:38 PM
  • I have the same problem.  Started a couple weeks after a new Windows 2008 SBS server that was setup...
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:53 PM
  • hi,    i am getting a bad image message on my computer,it says c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared links penusua is either not working or it contains an error,try installing program using the original installationmedia or or contact your system administration or the software vendor for support
    • Proposed as answer by sindylou Friday, July 16, 2010 10:42 PM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:32 PM
  • Hello John, did you reach any solution with the SAP guys?

thanks

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Not really.  We have been patching SAP up to the latest versions, currently at SAP 7.2 update 2.  This problem seems a little less frequent, but certainly has not gone away.
    Tuesday, November 09, 2010 3:17 PM
  • We have the same problem, but don't even have SAP in our environment.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Above resolutions didn't help me to resolve the issue.

1. ProcessExplorer - cannot search the user i was looking for. If I check the user, it's still there on Task Manager's connected users with status disconnected.
    2. Command Line - it says the ID is 0 so I typed >>reset session 0 /server:MTSServer - no result after
    3. Windows6.0-KB978489-x86 - not applicable to my server

Any other resolution?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:47 AM
  • Nope.  I tried all those other suggestions too - unable to kill the foul processes on my server.
    Friday, February 04, 2011 10:08 PM
  • You should try out this solution to help this recurrent problem from wasting time support :

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX891671

where you can find the registry that will help closing sessions properly :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI

Value Name:LogoffCheckSysModules
    Type:
    REG_SZ
    String:
    MyAppName.exe

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:30 PM
  • That would only be helpful if I had Citrix, which I do not.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:57 PM
  • same here... no citrix... just using Windows Terminal Server
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:45 AM
  • "When I killed the Winlogon.exe process associated with this user, it instantly restarted the entire server.  Be careful!"

Same thing here.  Ooops.... hoping nobody notices...  

Monday, April 18, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Quick fix: Open SERVICES.MSC Snap-in, Connect to Another Computer (problem machine) and restart the Terminal Services service.
    Monday, May 09, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Lance.smith, thanks for stating what others have failed to do on this thread.  I just had my server (win2k3 S.E.) come to a BSOD after using process explorer to kill the instance of Winlogon.exe with the corresponding PID for the offending user account
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:23 PM
  • You are quite brave to be killing processes on a Terminal Server :-)

I just drain the users to another server, and reboot it when it is empty.

It is a bit of a pain, but our farm is not so busy that it can't handle the load, and after doing it several times a month for at least a year, I have gotten quite good at it :-)

Good luck!

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:27 PM