none
Create Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Pooled collection

Question

• i have a question about the number of Pooled Virtual Machines in VDI.

if i want to run 75 users at the same time, should i create a pool of 75 VMs or this number could be less? i.e can i run 2 users on 1 VM at the same time ?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Each Win7/Win8 Enterprise VM in a virtual desktop pooled collection is limited to a single user at one time so you would need at least 75 VMs.

-TP

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

- Yes, you may have 1 virtual desktop template (gold image)

- When you create the virtual desktop collection you specify how many VMs are to be in the collection and it will automatically pre-create them based on the template.  You can also set it to automatically roll back the VM after each user logs off.

-TP

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:04 PM

All replies

• i have a question about the number of Pooled Virtual Machines in VDI.

if i want to run 75 users at the same time, should i create a pool of 75 VMs or this number could be less? i.e can i run 2 users on 1 VM at the same time ?

Thanks

Any combination will work. VM-per-user is more secure and flexible of course. 

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

Each Win7/Win8 Enterprise VM in a virtual desktop pooled collection is limited to a single user at one time so you would need at least 75 VMs.

-TP

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:31 PM
  • Hi. I have additional question. Can we do that :

- i will be have 1 gold image of machine

- when user will be login virtual machine will be created from that image. After logoff machine will be deleted.

That is possible ?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

- Yes, you may have 1 virtual desktop template (gold image)

- When you create the virtual desktop collection you specify how many VMs are to be in the collection and it will automatically pre-create them based on the template.  You can also set it to automatically roll back the VM after each user logs off.

-TP

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:04 PM
  • "- When you create the virtual desktop collection you specify how many VMs are to be in the collection and it will automatically pre-create them based "

If for this i need Virtual Machine Maneger ? or this option is in Remote Desktop Services ?

"You can also set it to automatically roll back the VM after each user logs off."

Thanks i check this in my lab in Remote Desktop Services on Remote Desktop virtualization host - this is great option

Sebastian

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hi Sebastian,

The functionality I describe is part of 2012 RDS.

-TP

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Sounds nice... i must check this :) Thanks.
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:24 AM