none
product key for server 2008 r2 sp1 evaluation ISO

Question

• hi,

i have a server installed on server 2008 r2 sp1 evaluation ISO.

i have also activated the product and now its balance of 25 days before expiring.

my company has recently just purchased a volume license for windows server 2008 r2 datacenter edition.

here is the problem, when i enter the product key (MAK) i failed to activate saying that i need to enter a product key for standard edition.

My question, can i used the key to activate evaluation ISOs?

Thanks,

Andrew

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:54 AM

Answers

• hi Les52,

"The trouble started when we wanted to activate Standard and Enterprise VM's with the Datacenter key. We reconed, hey, we have "stronger" key than we needed. It shouldn't be a problem. Wrong! It is a problem. It's a no go."

The above statement, were you able to activate the VM's? I haven tried doing so because I don't wish to waste a MAK key but I have 1 Std VM ready.

From VLSC, I notice the ISO for Datacenter/Ent/Std are all the same. Doesn't that mean the activation will succeed when installing that ISO?

Thanks.

1. The customer only had a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter key. With that key we were not able to activate Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Enterprise instances (virtual machines).

2. Yes, The installation media contains Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter editions of Windows Server 2008 R2. However, you cannot activate products for which you don't have the key. In our case, we could only activate Datacenter instances.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:08 AM

All replies

• You must match installed Windows edition with your key.

IOW, if your company purchased Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter licenses, you must install Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter.

You are entitled for downgrade. You may call Microsoft by phone and enquire there. I've been thru that road. Here's what happened to me.

The company where I had to install Windows 2008 R2, bought a server with Datacenter license. So we wanted to install one physical Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter instance and many virtual Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Enterprise instances. We reconned - we don't need Datacenter edition in our VM's. Standard and Enterprise are good enough for what we need. Since the installation media contains all editions Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter we installed editions as we thought appropriate. We were not asked for the product key during installation and everything went smoothly. The trouble started when we wanted to activate Standard and Enterprise VM's with the Datacenter key. We reconed, hey, we have "stronger" key than we needed. It shouldn't be a problem. Wrong! It is a problem. It's a no go.

So I phoned Microsoft and they said. Sure, you want downgrade, no problem. And they gave us URL where we should fill a form. The caveat is that you cannot download keys from that site. You must order physical DVD's that come with keys (probably with a sticker). And you must pay (IIRC) 17 USD for shipment. That was the big problem. Because nobody wanted to pay with their card and we did not want to wait for the delivery (we are located in Europe, but not in EU) and we were uncertain about legal consequences later. Anyway, we (I) solved the problem by wiping and reinstalling all VM's again. This time all VM's were Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter. 

And as far as I know, you cannot activate evaluation version. You must do a fresh install. And you must match the key with the edition (Standrd/Enterprise/Datacenter)and channel (Retail/OEM/Volume License)

Good luck.

• Edited by Les52 Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Looks like it may be possible to do but is unsupported. The time bomb timer could reappear at any time.

Windows Server 2008 R2 evaluation version
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2021579

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:21 AM
  • hi Les52,

"The trouble started when we wanted to activate Standard and Enterprise VM's with the Datacenter key. We reconed, hey, we have "stronger" key than we needed. It shouldn't be a problem. Wrong! It is a problem. It's a no go."

The above statement, were you able to activate the VM's? I haven tried doing so because I don't wish to waste a MAK key but I have 1 Std VM ready.

From VLSC, I notice the ISO for Datacenter/Ent/Std are all the same. Doesn't that mean the activation will succeed when installing that ISO?

Thanks.

• Edited by Andrew5421 Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:34 AM add extra information
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:31 AM
  • hi Les52,

Thanks.

1. The customer only had a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter key. With that key we were not able to activate Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Enterprise instances (virtual machines).

2. Yes, The installation media contains Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter editions of Windows Server 2008 R2. However, you cannot activate products for which you don't have the key. In our case, we could only activate Datacenter instances.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:08 AM