none
Windows server 2008 r2 sp1 activation problem

Question

• Hello all,

We have purchased windows server 2008 r2. Later on we needed win server 2008 r2 SP1. So we downloaded from microsoft site with SP1 and try to activate with the serial key provided by microsoft for Window server 2008 r2, but windows not activating.

My question is that can we use windows server 2008 r2 activation key to windows server 2008 r2 SP1 ???

if yes then why error is coming ???

Thanks.

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• As far as I know, WS 2008 R2 key cannot be used to activate WS 2008 R2 SP1. 

Here is what you can do,

Uninstall SP1, reboot the server, activate the OS using WS 2008 R2 key what you have and post OS activation, install SP1 again.

HTH

Thanks

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate TextVote As Helpful & click on Alternate TextMark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:17 PM
  • I agree with Santosh.

If the problem persists, please contact Microsoft license team who give better solutions to all licensing related queries.

OS Licensing:

Thank you for understanding.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:37 PM
  • Thanks santosh,

I have make some other installation like Sharepoint server SP1 and users are working on it. Its not possbile for me to uninstall and install sp1 again. Is there not any other way to activate or extend some days more for windows ???. When i installed, it give me 10 days to activate windows. While i heared it can be extend for 180 days ???

Thansk.

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:40 PM
  • If you have installed evaluation version of the WS 2008 R2, then you can extend the trial period.

How to Seamlessly Extend the Windows Server Trial to 240 Days

If you have RTM edition installed, you need to activate the OS.

Thanks

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Friday, December 07, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi Marreena,

I agree with Santosh.

In addition, we can run slmgr –dlv to check the license status.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, December 09, 2012 5:47 PM