none
WSUS sync error ( WSUS 3.2.7600.226)

Question

• I recently installed WSUS on Windows server 2008 Ent R2, I followed the best practices from MS. The server has direct connectivity to internet and there is no deny rule in place between server and internet . I am getting below error while try to sync. During initial setup also this dodnt sync . I feel like we have to do some configuration changes to IIS to make this work.

WebException: The request failed with the error message:
    --
    <html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>
    <h2>Object moved to <a href="%2fmicrosoftupdate%2fv6%2ferrorinformation.aspx%3ferror%3d15">here</a>.</h2>
    </body></html>

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetAuthConfig()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.InternetGetServerAuthConfig(ServerSyncProxy proxy, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.Authenticate(AuthorizationManager authorizationManager, Boolean checkExpiration, ServerSyncProxy proxy, Cookie cookie, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.SyncConfigUpdatesFromUSS()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRedirect)

Monday, February 04, 2013 4:39 PM

Answers

• This is being actively discussed in two other threads as well ( Thread1 Thread2 )...

Some people have reported it resolved itself... others have had no such luck.

Earlier today we (SolarWinds) particpated in an exercise with a customer and were able to resolve the issue by first installing KB2734608 and then running the setup wizard.

In one of the other threads it appeared it might be an issue with an invalid URL 'update.microsoft.com' works, but not 'www.update.microsoft.com'. It's possible that the internal references to those hostnames are updated by KB2734608 and the 'www.update.microsoft.com' is deprecated, and got prematurely dropped.

This is all speculation, but in any event, installing KB2734608 is Good Practice -- so might as well do it on an empty WSUS server as on a full one. :-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by sajeesh mac Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:28 PM

All replies

• This is the error what I am recieving . The server where i installed WSUS is able to get patches from MS whern I tried update server wizard from server manager, so I feel there is nothing blocking between thsi server and Microsoft update service .

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:07 PM
  • Hi Sajeesh,

We were having the same issue here until about an hour ago. I tried the usual and nothing worked. Have just tried again (out of frustration) and it kicked into life and started synchronising without fault.

Perhaps just and issue with the servers at Microsoft or their web redirects. Not sure, but please try again and let people know.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Thanks .. But it never worked for me, This is the first time I am going to setup WSUS..
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:00 PM
  • I'm seeing this issue too.
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:39 PM
  • This is being actively discussed in two other threads as well ( Thread1 Thread2 )...

Some people have reported it resolved itself... others have had no such luck.

Earlier today we (SolarWinds) particpated in an exercise with a customer and were able to resolve the issue by first installing KB2734608 and then running the setup wizard.

In one of the other threads it appeared it might be an issue with an invalid URL 'update.microsoft.com' works, but not 'www.update.microsoft.com'. It's possible that the internal references to those hostnames are updated by KB2734608 and the 'www.update.microsoft.com' is deprecated, and got prematurely dropped.

This is all speculation, but in any event, installing KB2734608 is Good Practice -- so might as well do it on an empty WSUS server as on a full one. :-)

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by sajeesh mac Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:28 PM
  • Thanks Garvin, I installed KB2734608  and tried a Sync, its working fine .. Thank you for the help.

Sajeesh

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:15 PM
  • I installed KB2734608 and tried a Sync, its working fine

Excellent! Thank you for posting back your success.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Thanks.. the KB2734608 worked for me too.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Confirmed.  KB2734608 worked for me as well.  Did not have to run the setup wizard.
    • Edited by joerockt Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:02 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Thanks. WSUS SP2 done (KB2734608) and able to sync the windows updates.

Dinesh Bhandare

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:39 AM
  • Another confirmation...update did the trick ;)

mIRO

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:18 AM
  • Worked for me as well.  Thanks, SolarWinds for solving another MS issue.
    Monday, March 18, 2013 2:50 PM
  • worked also for me

Andrea

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:09 AM
  • If you can’t complete the initial WSUS Configuration Wizard, you should be very cautious before applying WSUS update KB2734608. I had a new SBS11 install a week or so ago that could never successfully sync with Microsoft Update via the WSUS Configuration Wizard. Every other role on the server works flawlessly.

I saw the update available via a Microsoft Update check, so I installed it hoping it would resolve my issue. It went from bad to horrible at that point. After applying the update, the WSUS mmc failed to load, and I couldn’t uninstall the role via Server Manager. On top of that, the built-in Windows Server Backup stopped working -- because it couldn’t generate a successful snapshot.

Read the KB article release notes!
    KB2734608: “WSUS must be in a known, good working state for this update to work. If WSUS is configured to synchronize updates from Microsoft Update, make sure that WSUS can synchronize updates. And, clients must be able to communicate with the WSUS server.”

There’s really only one published article out there to manually remove WSUS, so I followed the blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2008/11/05/how-to-manually-remove-all-of-wsus.aspx

I’ve used the manual procedure successfully in the past on a few Win03 servers and one Win08 R2 server. It didn’t work on my fully patched SBS 2011 server, so I bit the bullet and called MS. After spending five hours on the phone with a rather novice MS engineer, we we’re able to successfully remove the WSUS role from the server manager and reinstall it after countless registry permission changes. The MS engineer ran a PowerShell script prior to the registry changes, but in the end it was the reg perm changes that allowed us to successfully reinstall it. The PowerShell script did successfully remove the role from the Server Manager though.

To Microsoft’s credit, I usually receive excellent support from their engineers when I run into those really odd situations where all of the normal/creative solutions to resolve a problem just don’t work.

I’ve read countless articles and forums trying to resolve this, so I’ll throw a few more things out there that may help others. I do have an older SonicWALL in this particular environment, but I’ve verified the “Enable HTTP Byte-Range request with Gateway AV” is checked (this has been an issue for about 7 years now, so it’s not my first rodeo).  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922330

If you’re trying to uninstall/reinstall a healthy WSUS install, I’ve read lots of posts stating that you should move the server out of its OU. If it’s a DC you’ll find that this isn’t really an option.  It isn’t necessary either. Just remove the WSUS group policy objects from the locations where they are applied. Don’t delete the actual GPOs just remove the GPOs from wherever they are applied.

• Proposed as answer by JD000 Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:06 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:35 AM
  • Ok, I've officially lost my as$ on this project ... and the root cause is?! For the second time in about three months the Symantec Endpoint Protection client is the culprit. I installed their latest "Basic" SEP 12.1.2x client on the SBS 2011 server, and it was causing the initial WSUS setup wizard to fail at the synchronization step.

I hardly ever post on these forums, but I take advantage of them all the time.

Hope this helps someone else. Let's just call this my good deed for the day.

Microsoft, I'd love to run your AV client at all my locations. But it sucks. It doesn't protect end users. The def's are always a day-late-dollar-short, and it's so ineffective on rootkits. But you're not alone.

Honestly, I hate all AV clients. They all generate way too much storage activity. Almost all of them are horrible at protecting against zero-day infections. I've just found that Symantec's corporate product is the least sucky of them all.

Don’t bother defending a specific AV brand; I’ve tried them all, and they all suck. If you’re a truly honest cold-calculating IT professional, and you’ve been in the business for a while you’d agree.

I'm pissed and tired and going to bed.

Cheers!

JD

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:29 AM
  • Ok, I've officially lost my as$ on this project ... and the root cause is?! For the second time in about three months the Symantec Endpoint Protection client is the culprit. I installed their latest "Basic" SEP 12.1.2x client on the SBS 2011 server, and it was causing the initial WSUS setup wizard to fail at the synchronization step.

I hardly ever post on these forums, but I take advantage of them all the time.

Hope this helps someone else. Let's just call this my good deed for the day.

Microsoft, I'd love to run your AV client at all my locations. But it sucks. It doesn't protect end users. The def's are always a day-late-dollar-short, and it's so ineffective on rootkits. But you're not alone.

Honestly, I hate all AV clients. They all generate way too much storage activity. Almost all of them are horrible at protecting against zero-day infections. I've just found that Symantec's corporate product is the least sucky of them all.

Don’t bother defending a specific AV brand; I’ve tried them all, and they all suck. If you’re a truly honest cold-calculating IT professional, and you’ve been in the business for a while you’d agree.

I'm pissed and tired and going to bed.

Cheers!

JD

Yes, installing WSUS on SBS 2011 or any SBS server is tricky since it usually comes pre installed. Ideally, WSUS should be kept on its OWN server to eliminate issues with other programs that use IIS such as Symantec Endpoint Protection as you are now painfully aware. In my opinion, AV products should also have their OWN server as well for the exact same reason as WSUS should be on it's own server. But, that is just one man's opinion.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:01 PM
  • `This kb did it. Thnx.
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:55 PM
  • I had exactly same issue.. I managed to fix by removing wsus completely from remove roles in server manager. remove all including databases data everything related to wsus from server manager remove role.. Then reinstalled.. it worked........................................
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:29 AM
  • Perfect! Thx.
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:27 AM
  • I too am having this problem with the server not syncing...or connecting to download updates.  I tried the update KB2734608 but it fails with an error "Unexpected Termination".  

From the WSUS console under Synchronizations I have a error that read: An http error occured. 

WebException: The request failed with the error message:
    --
    <html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>
    <h2>Object moved to <a href="%2fmicrosoftupdate%2fv6%2ferrorinformation.aspx%3ferror%3d15">here</a>.</h2>
    </body></html>

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetAuthConfig()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.InternetGetServerAuthConfig(ServerSyncProxy proxy, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.Authenticate(AuthorizationManager authorizationManager, Boolean checkExpiration, ServerSyncProxy proxy, Cookie cookie, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.SyncConfigUpdatesFromUSS()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRedirect)

I should mention that this was a server working fine for months and then just stopped.

Windows Server 2008 R2 64Bit

Server Version 3.2.7600.251

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:44 PM
  • DEAR CHECK PROXY SETTING AND THEN RUN CONECTIVITY,YOU WILL BE SUCCESS
    Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:50 AM
  • There’s really only one published article out there to manually remove WSUS, so I followed the blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2008/11/05/how-to-manually-remove-all-of-wsus.aspx

...and How to Uninstall WSUS, posted November, 2011, in this forum, an updated version of that blog post based on empirical results obtained from participants in this forum.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:29 PM
  • If you’re trying to uninstall/reinstall a healthy WSUS install, I’ve read lots of posts stating that you should move the server out of its OU. If it’s a DC you’ll find that this isn’t really an option.  It isn’t necessary either. Just remove the WSUS group policy objects from the locations where they are applied. Don’t delete the actual GPOs just remove the GPOs from wherever they are applied.

I haven't read any such posts .... and I've read almost all of the 6500+ posts in this forum.

In addition I can state with some authoritative knowledge that there is absolutely nothing useful that would come from removing the WSUS Server from its OU, or from removing the GPO from the OU with respect to uninstalling the WSUS services. The OU and GPO only affect the configuration of the Windows Update Agent. Which in this context has absolutely no relationship to the WSUS services.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Hi all,

we got this error on SBS 2008 Czech last week. For us worked this:

Let Windows Update search for updates through classic Windows update(on Microsoft web).. found update KB982671 and we installed it.

Next we again searched for updates on Microsoft web and after KB982671 there are a couple of fixes... when Windows Update downloads these updates, we run "Sync now" command from Windows SBS Console. And what a surprise - it downloads the catalog.. Maybe any update may help..

Dont know if this works on EN systems, let us now.

Good Luck :-)

Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:19 AM
  • we got this error on SBS 2008 Czech last week. For us worked this:

Let Windows Update search for updates through classic Windows update(on Microsoft web).. found update KB982671 and we installed it.

I can't really speak to what actually fixed your server for you... but I'm pretty sure that installing the .NET Framework v4 on your SBS2008 server did not fix a WSUS v3.2 issue.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Installing KB2734608 did help in our case (Windows Update did not offer it!). Very much appreciated. Roger

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:06 AM