none
WSUS reset

Question

• Hi,

I've run into a problem on our SBS2008 server. WSUS was working okay until mistakenly the Default Automatic Approval Rule was run which seems to have increased the number of updates that it tries to download.

I've tried to run a wsusutil /reset and also manually reconfigure the products and classifications to a minimum but each time the number of downloads it tried to pull down is staying at 90GB (even when unticking service packs)

How can I reset WSUS to previous size, it seems like the database still sees the old approvals. I'm guessing the wsuscontent folder was about 30gb before

Regards,

Garry

Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• delete the WSUS Content folder

uncheck Automatic Approvals functionality

decline all the unneeded updates on the WSUS

Run wsusutil reset command to reset your wsuscontent folder

www.netblunders.com

Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Hi Babarmunir,

One of the problems is that the drive the contents folder sits on doesnt have the space to download the 90gb in the first place. I've had to stop update services in order for this to not fill the drive and stop the server from functioning.

I've deleted the contents folder a couple of times. Can you be more specific about uncheck automatic approvals. The default automatic approval rule is not ticked on the page under Options -> Automatic approvals -> Update Rules tab

I'm also unable to decline unneeded updates on WSUS also as the console continues to reset before showing the view. I'm trying to select products individually and decline that way but it's not a clean process.

Anyone know how to reset a database back to default? Does re-installing wsus on an SBS 2008 work without breaking the server?

Garry

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:03 PM
  • if automatic rule is nt checked mark, it means automatic approval updates are already been disabled..nd i dont think so u can reset database back to the initial stage.. but WSUS experts can give u better idea..)

here r some useful suggestions about What to do when your WSUSContent folder grows too large

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx

Friday, December 20, 2013 10:04 PM