none
Install Windows Picture and Fax Viewer on Server

Question

• We recently purchase a terminal server with Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. It didn't come with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I would like to download and install this software. Plus need any added instructions to do so. Where can I find this?

Thanks in Advance,

John Gillespie

Friday, March 18, 2011 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is not an editor, it is primarily a viewer. When you click edit from within Picture and Fax Viewer it simply closes and launches the file in the default program for the file type (for example, Paint), which does support editing.  I say primarily because you can rotate the image, annotate, save a copy, etc.

How are you editing tiff files within Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?  Are you clicking the edit button to perform the edits?  If yes, what program is launched?

When viewing a file in Windows Photo Viewer you have the ability to open it for editing in Paint (or another image editing program) as well.  Paint on Server 2008 R2 is an improved version of the older paint.

There are lots of image editing programs available, many are low cost or free.  One I would suggest you try is IrfanView, it has the ability to rotate (press L or R key), extract separate pages from a multi-page tiff, save to different formats, change compression settings, etc.  I have not tested it under Remote Desktop Services or Terminal Services.

For faxes I have primarily used vendor-specific software that was included with the fax server like Optus FACSys, RightFax as well as desktop software like Winfax.  Does your fax server include software for managing the incoming faxes?

-TP

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is not included with Server 2008 R2, and cannot be downloaded/installed separately.  Windows Photo Viewer is included with 2008 R2 and may meet your needs.  You need to install the Desktop Experience feature using Server Manager.  If this does not meet your needs I recommend you evaluate software that has photo/fax viewing capability from Microsoft as well as third-party vendors.

NOTE: There is a bug in the Windows Photo Viewer included with Server 2008 R2 that only allows one instance of the program to run on the server at a time.  I believe this was supposed to be fixed in SP1, however, I have not tested it.

-TP

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:23 PM
  • TP,

The Photo Viewer does not have the functionally of the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Basically, it is only a viewer and not an editor. We use Picture and Fax Viewer to manipulate incoming faxes from our fax server. i.e. separate pages inside a .tiff file, rotate pages without losing resolution, etc… 

We are a medical facility and receive about 70 faxes a day. This functionality is important to us. Is there another Fax Editor/viewer program you can recommend, if Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is not compatible with server 2008?

John 

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Hi John,

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is not an editor, it is primarily a viewer. When you click edit from within Picture and Fax Viewer it simply closes and launches the file in the default program for the file type (for example, Paint), which does support editing.  I say primarily because you can rotate the image, annotate, save a copy, etc.

How are you editing tiff files within Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?  Are you clicking the edit button to perform the edits?  If yes, what program is launched?

When viewing a file in Windows Photo Viewer you have the ability to open it for editing in Paint (or another image editing program) as well.  Paint on Server 2008 R2 is an improved version of the older paint.

There are lots of image editing programs available, many are low cost or free.  One I would suggest you try is IrfanView, it has the ability to rotate (press L or R key), extract separate pages from a multi-page tiff, save to different formats, change compression settings, etc.  I have not tested it under Remote Desktop Services or Terminal Services.

For faxes I have primarily used vendor-specific software that was included with the fax server like Optus FACSys, RightFax as well as desktop software like Winfax.  Does your fax server include software for managing the incoming faxes?

-TP

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:50 AM