none
Unapproved updates keep showing back up on Replica servers

Question

• I'm noticing that both of my Replica servers are not functioning properlly.  I have 1 server that shows 466 Unapproved Updates and another that had over 18k Unapproved Updates.  I could run the Server Cleanup Wizard and that only temporarily removes these.  The next time that both of the replica servers sync with the Upstream server both show all of those Unapproved Updates again.

The odd thing is, the Upstream server has 0 Unapproved Updates.  I don't understand why both replica servers are not staying in sync with the upstream server.

Any suggestions??

Thank you,

Mike

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:55 PM

Answers

• I have 1 server that shows 466 Unapproved Updates and another that had over 18k Unapproved Updates.
    Both of those numbers are highly unorthodox. It suggests that your downstream servers are not actually configured as replica servers.
    I could run the Server Cleanup Wizard and that only temporarily removes these.
    Actually, it doesn't. The SCW only deletes expired updates and old revisions; it does not delete ordinary unapprove updates.
    The next time that both of the replica servers sync with the Upstream server both show all of those Unapproved Updates again.
    Ergo, what's really happening is that the sync isn't doing anything at all.
    The odd thing is, the Upstream server has 0 Unapproved Updates.
    Yes, that's pretty odd, and unhealthy, too. Why would the upstream server have =0= Unapproved updates?
    I don't understand why both replica servers are not staying in sync with the upstream server.
    Well, the simple answer is because one or all of those servers are critically FUBAR.
    Any suggestions?
    Yes, I would suggest rebuilding all three servers, from the top down (after figuring out why there are =0= unapproved updates on the upstream server).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:48 PM

All replies

• I have 1 server that shows 466 Unapproved Updates and another that had over 18k Unapproved Updates.
    Both of those numbers are highly unorthodox. It suggests that your downstream servers are not actually configured as replica servers.
    I could run the Server Cleanup Wizard and that only temporarily removes these.
    Actually, it doesn't. The SCW only deletes expired updates and old revisions; it does not delete ordinary unapprove updates.
    The next time that both of the replica servers sync with the Upstream server both show all of those Unapproved Updates again.
    Ergo, what's really happening is that the sync isn't doing anything at all.
    The odd thing is, the Upstream server has 0 Unapproved Updates.
    Yes, that's pretty odd, and unhealthy, too. Why would the upstream server have =0= Unapproved updates?
    I don't understand why both replica servers are not staying in sync with the upstream server.
    Well, the simple answer is because one or all of those servers are critically FUBAR.
    Any suggestions?
    Yes, I would suggest rebuilding all three servers, from the top down (after figuring out why there are =0= unapproved updates on the upstream server).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:33 AM