Windows 2008 Server & CD/DVD Drivers

Question

• I am trying to install Windows 2008 Server, 64 bit, R2.  The system will boot from the DVD.  I choose English for the language, and click on Setup.  Then I receive this message:

A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing.  If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

The Windows ISO was downloaded from the Microsoft licensing site and passed verification.  I tried two different DVD-Burners, and a plain DVD-Rom.  I toyed with the SATA emulation in the CMOS.  This should be an easy problem to address, but I must admit that I am buffalo'd.  Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

CR

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I've had similar issues myself.  If you're tried a couple of different burners, it could be worth trying a fresh download (even though the download passed verification). 

Assuming that doesn't clear up the problem, your thoughts on the SATA emulation in the CMOS setup is definitely worth a go (note down any relevant settings before making changes).  Personally, I have had to switch the emulation so that the DVD and Hard Disks are treated as IDE for the initial setup.  However, I have read a couple of cases where it had to be switched the other way around.

Give it a go.  Sorry to not give a firm answer... but you're definitely along the right tracks in my opinion.

Cheers

Dan

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Hi,

I don’t know whether you install the Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit on a physical computer or virtual machine. Base on my experience, the issue may caused by the corrupt CD/DVD or the ISO file. The following post discussed the similar issue, you can refer to:

Windows7 PRO or Ent x32 cannot install on Hyper-V

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/d4f0cc9a-de07-43d6-b0dc-a89a5775c020

Installation error - CD/DVD device drive not found

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/4eedb855-b1c4-49f5-8695-dd6506b13563

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:51 AM