none
Windows Server Backup Fails - "The system cannot find the file specified"

General discussion

• I am using Server 2008 Enterprise on a PowerEdge 2900.  I have used Windows Server Backup since March to take care of data backups for both the system and storage drives.

The system drive completes at 100% (around 17GB) but the storage drive receives an error of "The system cannot find the file specified" with the following information in the Event Log:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Date:          7/22/2009 10:47:53 AM
    Event ID:      519
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      FCSERVER2.Fellowship.local
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 519 from source Microsoft-Windows-Backup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

EV_RenderedValue_0.00
    F:
    %%2147942402

The locale specific resource for the desired message is not present

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1db28f2e-8f80-4027-8c5a-a11f7f10f62d}" />
        <EventID>519</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-07-22T14:47:53.948Z" />
        <EventRecordID>31560</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="1260" ThreadID="4248" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>FCSERVER2.Fellowship.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BackupTime">2009-07-22T14:32:35.872Z</Data>
        <Data Name="FailedVolumeNames">F:</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">2147942402</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%2147942402</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    The backup has failed after as little as 7.13GB or as much as 128GB out of 375GB total.

It seems that the only information I can obtain is the simply "The system cannot find the file specified".

Thanks,
    Matthew Dillon
    • Changed type Christine Fok Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:41 PM waiting for user's response
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:43 PM

All replies

• Can you please give the following details?
    1. Logs present in %WINDIR%\Logs\WindowsServerBackup.
    2. Try running chkdsk on the volume F: and retry backup. 

You can send the details to chgupta-nospam@microsoft.com
    please use only the highlighted part in the email address. this is to avoid spam.

Thanks, Chirag G [MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:48 AM
  • Since there is no response; I'm assuming the problem was resolved by following step-2 of the suggestion.

Thanks, Chirag G [MSFT] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Hi,

I realise this thread is over a year old but I will try anyway. I have the exact same problem as the OP: my backup of C: to an external USB hard drive fails at a variable point with the error message "The system cannot find the file specified" with the same error codes as above. I have successfully run a backup of another drive (F:) to my external USB drive, which ran flawlessly, so I don't think the USB drive is the problem. I have run chkdsk /r multiple times on C: to no avail - the backup still fails at variable points with the same error message.

The event log contains the following:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1db28f2e-8f80-4027-8c5a-a11f7f10f62d}" />
      <EventID>517</EventID>
      <Version>0</Version>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-10-18T21:15:32.870Z" />
      <EventRecordID>11661</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="5180" ThreadID="5164" />
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>matrix.parker.local</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="BackupTime">2010-10-18T20:49:19.657Z</Data>
      <Data Name="ErrorCode">2147942402</Data>
      <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%2147942402</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    I think this all means the the C: is failing, and it can't backup as a result. This is strange because the F: is on the same physical drive, but backs up fine, and chkdsk hasn't found anything useful.
    Does anyone have any tips for solving this?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Hello,

We need the backup failure traces to investigate further. Could you collect them & send based on instructions in the reply above?

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Sriram [MSFT]
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 11:29 AM
  • Hello,

We need the backup failure traces to investigate further. Could you collect them & send based on instructions in the reply above?

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Sriram [MSFT]

I have had the same problem as everyone else, though I am unable to fix it.  Both disks are fine - and I am bamboozled as to how to fix this.  I have the event logs and I have tried to gain help without success.

Please can you help me?

Thanks

Carol

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:02 PM
  • I'm having similar issues as stated above, i'll be sending my windows backup logs. I've reformatted the usb drive on several occasions and even had 2 drives replaced through the manufacturer.

Thanks,

Michael

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:21 PM
  • I too am having this problem.  Does anyone have a resolution or troubleshooting steps?  
    Friday, March 18, 2011 2:54 PM
  • I had similar issue on Windows Server 2008 R2 Backup, maby this can help you

It happans when you are trying to backup indvidual files, the problem lies because it cant backup file with their path over 260 chars c:\folder\file.doc

actully its funny microsoft doesnt give u a reasonble error, i had to debug my self for ours to find the problem.

i know this issue has hot fix that was impleneted in sp1 of r2.

if you have r2, make sure you have that hotfix or installs the sp.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Thanks Yair, good idea.

I've done a tree command from command prompt and found some rather large directory paths (some users have saved webpage that have huge file names and thus huge filename_folder items too!). Although from my count the full file path was max of 204 chars. So I've renamed them to shorter filenames, I'll let everyone know if this works for me. *fingers crossed*

Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Thanks Yair, good idea.

I've done a tree command from command prompt and found some rather large directory paths (some users have saved webpage that have huge file names and thus huge filename_folder items too!). Although from my count the full file path was max of 204 chars. So I've renamed them to shorter filenames, I'll let everyone know if this works for me. *fingers crossed*

Unfortunatly this has failed to resolve the problem.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 1:05 AM
  • I too also facinf the same problem Full backup does'nt completes.
    Ahmed Gaziyani Enterprise Admin.
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution for this yet?
    Friday, September 09, 2011 2:47 PM
  • We've ran into the same issue while using Symantec Endpoint Protection v11 RU7 on a DC with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

This was solved by simply uninstalling SEP.

Anyway i'm still not satisfied with this kind of solution...

• Edited by gaisensei_x Friday, October 07, 2011 4:25 PM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Anyone have any solutions that worked?
    Monday, June 25, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Having the same exact issue. WB fails at about 4% when backing up local C: drive. Seems to work about 1 in 5 times.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Same issue - the backup log says the file that cannot be found is \\?\Volume\-{ed01eea1-3fe6-11e1-ab0f-d8d3855daa5d} The problem started 2 days ago (12-05-12).

Aidan

Friday, December 07, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Same exact issue here. SBS 2008 backup failure with a value 2147942402 and cannot find the specified file. Considering this goes back several years without result I guess we shouldn't hold our breath for any kind of fix.

my PC Techs http://www.mypctechs.com

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:14 PM
  • I've got the exact same problem too, which led me to this thread. I'm using 5 backup drives in volume mode with Windows Server Backup. About 40 minutes after the backup started it stopped with this error "2147942402".

I can not use HotSwap! to disconnect the drive from the system now as it pops up a message that the drive cannot be uninstalled right now because the device requested a system restart. Why would my backup drive request a system restart? I can temporarily fix it by running a quick chkdsk on the backup drive, then it can disconnected. But after I scan for new hardware and it gets back into the system, it won't disconnect again.

We use 5, one for each workday. We use a scheduled task with HotSwap! to disconnect and reconnect the drive so it can be safely pulled every morning and changed out. I fixed this last week by removing the partition of the backup drive, then creating a new one. Then it could be disconnected using HotSwap! and all was good.

We already have SP1 in Server 2008 R2, so it's not that as someone mentioned above. Some of the backups work, but then sometimes not. Just like someone mentioned earlier, maybe 1 out 5 fail.

Would setting the backup using the drives "dedicated for backups" work better then using the drives as a volume visible in Explorer? Anyone think having the backup drives visible in My Computer may be causing the problem?

• Edited by Mr.Tom71 Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:54 AM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 10:27 PM
  •  

Make sure that the combined allocated storage for each VHDs (doesn't matter dynamic or fixed) do not exceed the total size of the physical drive that holds the VHDs. Once you get this right, the event ID 519 should stop and backup should work fine. <o:p></o:p>

I had a 2TB VHD and a 1TB VHD residing on a 2TB physical drive and that was causing backup failure for me. Even do the VHDs were dynamic and didn't have 60% storage utilization, it still didn't work until I have resized them below 2TB altogether. <o:p></o:p>

I hope this helps everyone.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks, Shuja<o:p></o:p>

Najmee IT Managed Services.<o:p></o:p>

www.najmee.com<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:34 AM
  • 2. Try running chkdsk on the volume F: and retry backup. 

My Server 2008 Backup fails on the "C" Drive. Running "chkdsk c: /f" is going to require a reboot (and there is 150 GB to check).

[1] Are there any issues running this with a Hardware RAID Controller Card installed?
    [2] Any idea how long it will take to complete?

Many thanks for any any help / guidance.

Regards,
    Stephen

Friday, November 01, 2013 9:50 AM
  • We experienced the same error message when running Windows Backup on Windows Server 2008 R2:

"The system cannot find the file specified"

A review of the Event log gave more insight to the issue. We noticed an entry in the Event log mentioning the Windows Backup Warning message "Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC)"

Tried a few things with the External USB drive to no avail. So we replaced the External USB hard drive and the issues no longer exist.

Friday, July 18, 2014 2:31 AM