none
Vista Guest on Hyper-V

Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to find out if Vista is supported as a guest on Hyper-V beta.  Does anyone know if it is? I can not seem to find the definitive answer.  If not, does anyone have it running anyway as a guest?  I have it running, but it does not seem to see multiple processors and something seems to keep the CPU very high, and I don't know if it is a Vista issue, or if it is something to do with the virtualized hardware with Vista making it go bonkers Smile  I'm running a 32-bit version of Vista on a 64-bit Hyper-V beta host.  The 32 bit version of the Vista vhd was made with VPC 2007.

BTW: I have Sever 2008 RC1 with Hyper-V beta running on a SuperMicro SuperServer 7045 if anyone is interested in that configuration.  I'm running with intel two quad core processors and 16 gigs of Ram.

Thanks much,
    Jon
    Friday, January 11, 2008 1:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Vista is not a supported guest for Hyper-V Beta.  Are you seeing high CPU utilization in the host or the guest?  If in the guest can you see what process or service is causing the high utilization?

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:34 PM
  •  

Hi Taylor,

Thanks for the reply, I just saw in the release notes that the support is not yet there for Vista.  I am seeing the high CPU utilization on the Vista guest.  On the windows Vista guest, it seems many different process keep cycling at relativly High CPU utilization (~2 at a time at ~40-50% each) when I sort by CPU in task manager.  One of the ones I see most is trustedinstaller.exe, but many different ones cycle at the top.

The same guest works ok on VPC 2007.  I connect to the Vista guest through remote desktop. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:02 PM
  • This is Vista SP1 correct?  If so can you try installing SP1 RC?  Also did you remove the Virtual PC additions?

Link to SP1 Installer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb738089.aspx

Thank you!

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Hi Taylor,

I followed both of your suggestions along with disabling alot of services that come with Vista that I don't think I needed.  It seems to be runnning much better now.  The two major things I see now are:
    • Vista can't see multiple processors when enabling more processors in the host for the Vista VM - I assume this is requires the new VM additions that won't install on Vista yet
    • Anything making network calls seems to be slower than normal, but it is tolerable.
    For the network calls, maybe I should tweak my network setup differently.  I have 3 network cards in the machine.  Should I dedicate one physical card to VM's?  Are there any other tweaks to make the network performance better?

I'm running Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Express on Vista, for the VM I am testing.  I also setup a set of QA test servers on this server.  One Sever 2008 RC 1 as a Web Server and the SQL Server Katmai CTP VHD with Server 2003.

So far it's pretty cool.

Cheers,
    Jon

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:03 PM
  • What version of Vista is this (business/utlimate/home etc...)?  Also what host hardware are you useing (specifically how many sockets/cores?).

Network performance will be slower than in Server as we don't have our faster vmbus enabled network adatper.

In gernal the network recomendation is to use dedicated network adatpers for your virtual machines and for your host.  (ie with three you might have two dedicated VM adapters and one host or vice-verse).

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Hi Taylor,

Stop responding to me on a Saturday, you should not be working Smile !!!

My server has two sockets, and I have one quad core processor in each socket, bringing me up to 8 cores.

This is my CPU: Intel Xeon 5130 Woodcrest 2.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache Socket 771

In addition, I have 16 GB of memory using this memory:

Kingston 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC Fully Buffered DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Server Memory

The machine I'm using is this:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7045/SYS-7045A-T.cfm?PID=TWR

I run a Micro ISV and do consulting, so I wanted to move a VM that I was using off of my laptop onto the server and remote desktop into the VM to do development.

I setup the server to use as a QA machine / development playground, and it would be cool to have a the ability to run my actual development VM on there as well.

I'm running Vista Ultimate.  It seems to be running better now, but I still need to mess with the Nics to see that I have an optimal setup, as the network performance is noticably slow.

Even though Vista is not yet supported, should I theoretically be seeing multiple CPUs on the Vista guest?

Cheers,
    Jon

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:50 PM
  • My update on my networking performance:

I setup a dedicated NIC for my Vista VM.  Using speedtest.net I can see that I am only getting 5mbps where I'm getting 31 mbps on the host and its own NIC.

If I could get the multi-cores to work and the networking performance improved, it looks like I would be in good shape.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Monday, January 14, 2008 1:00 AM
  • I am going to have one of my engineers look into this, again Vista is not supported for Beta but this should work.

Thanks

-Taylor

Monday, January 14, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Very cool.  Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Monday, January 14, 2008 4:40 PM
  • Hi Taylor,

Did you mean I should be able to see multiple processors in Vista?

Also, I tried a Server 2008 guest and the networking performance was much better (as expected). It was close to the hosts performance.  In Vista I see the "Intel 21140-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Emulated)" in device manager.

Are there any tweaks I can make to the advanced driver settings to get this adapter more performant?  I'm running a gigabit network here.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:53 AM
  • You should be able to see multiple processors - but there is nothing you can do to improve performance.

Cheers,

Ben

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:08 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response.  If I look in device manager I can see the two CPU's that I assigned but in task manager I can not see the multiple CPUs.  I tried to update the to the latest processor driver from Intel in Vista but it says it was already up to date.

Do you have any ideas on how I can detetmine if the Vista VM is using the multiple CPUs?

Thanks,
    Jon
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:20 PM
  • I just got my Vista VM to see two cores!  I just needed to tweak the boot options to detect the HAL so I could utilize multiple processors.

Now if we could get the network performace to be better it would be all set.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:30 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Can you pls tell me how to access Vm which are created in Hyper V  2008  from  Vista Clients.

Regards

shiva

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:43 AM
  • Shiva,

You can if you 'Enable Remote Desktop' on the client VM running under Hyper-V simply RDP directly into the VM from Vista using mstsc.exe or if it is a Linux box you could use VNC or similar.

You can also 'Enable Remote Desktop' on the Server running Hyper-V and then use the server Hyper-V MMC Console to run vconnect.exe to directly connect to the VM.

Currently there is no direct MMC Console application available for Windows Vista to directly connect to a Hyper-V guest on the Windows Server Host you must either connect to the VM with RDP/VNC from Vista or RDP/VNC into the Hyper-V Host Server and then connect to the VM there.

If you have multiple Hyper-V Servers you can use a single Hyper-V MMC Console to connect to all your Hyper-V Servers though.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Monday, January 28, 2008 11:11 AM
  • I have installed Vista in a VM on Microsoft Windows 2008 64-bit RC1, but I can't get the network to work. I don't see a nic in the VM, but I do see a unknown device. Which driver can I use?

Saturday, February 02, 2008 1:03 PM
  •  

You need to install the 'Integration Components' which can be done from the VM COnnection Window by Clicking 'Action' -> 'Insert Integration Services Setup Disk' and this will add  the drivers you need.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:12 AM
  •  Stephen Edgar [Netweb] wrote:

You need to install the 'Integration Components' which can be done from the VM COnnection Window by Clicking 'Action' -> 'Insert Integration Services Setup Disk' and this will add  the drivers you need.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

The integration services setup disk can only be used with windows 2008 and windows 2003 R2 SP2, so that doesn't work.

Any other ideas?

Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Yes, You are right, my bad.

For the settings of your Vista VM you need to remove the 'Network Adaptor' and then add a 'Legacy Network Adaptor' and Vista will Auto-Detect the drivers for that and you will be up and running.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Thanks, it's working now.

Any idea how to add a custom resolution to the VGA-adapter? Like: 1680x1050?

Or is a work around to get it full screen to just use remote desktop?

Monday, February 04, 2008 10:49 AM
  •  

You will need to get around it by using RDP until a set of Integration Components are released for Vista.

Cheers,

Stephen

Monday, February 04, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Jon,

I figured out how to get the IC's installed on a Vista guest.  See my post here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2809345&SiteID=17

Enjoy!

Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:18 PM