none
Server 2012 Hyper-V no SCSI controller support

Question

• I would like to know if there is any solution in the world that would allow SCSI controller on windows XP 32bit VM using the new Hyper-V in Server 2012. I know that MS does not want us to boot off SCSI, which has been argued time and time again. But I also want to have more then 3 drives ( not including the Optical ) to use in the VM. Its not about size, its about the available volumes to the machine. In VMware, which is the product they are attempting to compete with this is not even a contention on the paid for or free versions. The true purpose of virtualization is hardware consolidation and usage/testing of various environments prior to implementation especial legacy support OS's. Can anyone tell me if there is a workaround or solution so that I can get the VM to recognize more then 4 VHD's simotaniously. Does anyone else feel my pain in trying to rollout Server 2012 as a prouduction solution?
    Monday, December 03, 2012 9:06 PM

Answers

• XP x64 can use SCSI.  Two IDE controllers was the standard (a primary and secondary interface, each interface allowing a master and slave drive), moving beyond that would require additional non-standard IDE controllers, the same way hardware manufacturers did it when IDE was still a popular solution. 

Move to Vista or Windows 7, both allow you to use the SCSI interface in Hyper-V. 

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:49 PM

All replies

• When you have the integration components installed on your XP VM you should be able to add vhd´s to scsi controllers.. 

Here is the link to a technet article that tells what different components that is available for XP 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794868(v=ws.10).aspx

Here is a technet article for the win 2012 that also says that xp sp3 is ok, and you will have to install the integration components..

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh831531.aspx

• Edited by vNiklas Monday, December 03, 2012 9:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by PCS-Xavien Monday, December 03, 2012 9:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by PCS-Xavien Monday, December 03, 2012 9:40 PM
    Monday, December 03, 2012 9:09 PM
  • According to the article, SCSI support IS supported in Windows XP SP3 32bit for Hyper-V under Server 2008. Is this "NOT" the same for Server 2012? Because I have it install and its not working at all. All the requisites are there and the device driver is "NOT" an exclamation its fully installed and under the line listing it says "Microsoft Hyper-V SCSI controller (not supported)" and of course the drives don't show in "My Computer". Under device status it says " No drivers are installed for this device". I am experimenting but not having any luck....any other ideas or are the docs inaccurate? I have also reinstalled the integration services, uninstalled the device and allowed it to reinstalled. Its continues to say " not supported", is this a fluke?
    Monday, December 03, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Anyone having the same issue I am?
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:36 PM
  • How are you trying to add the SCSI drives to the XP images?  Are these VMs built from scratch on Hyper-V 2012, or were they converted from VMware or physical machines?

tim

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:54 PM
  • These are VM's from VS 2005 (which SCSI worked fine). Please consider that the Hyper V add-on's will automatically have you uninstall the VS2005 Drivers, then update the hal, then install the hyper-v add on's. Its not that there is an exclamation point or no driver installed which might make more sense. I still have no info on why the device specifically says " not supported " but seems to have a valid driver installed. Does that help elaborate? Is there anyway I can post a pic on here for you guys to see?
    • Edited by PCS-Xavien Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:37 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:36 AM
  • SCSI is not supported for Windows XP under Hyper-V.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Am I correct to understand that is XP 32 bit?? From what I understand 64bit is OK? Additionally, why has microsoft not allowed more then 2 IDE controllers so that attach more HD's is I cannot use SCSI??
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:11 PM
  • XP x64 can use SCSI.  Two IDE controllers was the standard (a primary and secondary interface, each interface allowing a master and slave drive), moving beyond that would require additional non-standard IDE controllers, the same way hardware manufacturers did it when IDE was still a popular solution. 

Move to Vista or Windows 7, both allow you to use the SCSI interface in Hyper-V. 

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:49 PM