none
"Looking for backup devices" problem

General discussion

• Hi all,

Already tried the suggestions posted on this board, to no avail. I'm trying to backup files through the following process:

1. Control Panel
    2. System and Maintenance
    3. Backup and Restore Center
    4. Back up Files
    5. Click on Back up files button

What happens at this point is that a window pops up that says "looking for backup devices." The green part of the bar moves from left to right, but hangs there without finding any devices.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. I've updated hardware drivers
    2. I've attempted to use 2 different removable hard drives, including an HP Pocket Media Drive and an Iomega eGo drive (both drivers updated)

My computer recognizes both drives apart from this backup process -- i.e., I can access files and save files to both of these drives.

My computer is a new HP d5200t ATX with Windows Home Premium/Vista/SP 1.

Would appreciate any advice.

-RGK

• Changed type Sushil.Baid [MSFT] Monday, April 06, 2009 4:09 AM awaiting customer response
    • Changed type Sushil.Baid [MSFT] Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:28 AM awaiting customer response
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 4:00 PM

All replies

• Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We would like to take a look at the backup traces under %windir%\Logs\WindowsBackup\*.etl to find out what the issue is. Could you pl. ZIP the trace files under this directory and send them across to srirambnospam@microsoft.com (pl. use the highlighted portion to get to my mail ID)?

Thanks,
    Sriram [MSFT]

Monday, March 02, 2009 6:09 AM
  • I suspect the delay/hang is due to one of the devices connected to the system that is misbehaving. You could try disconnecting external devices (USB devices, DVD/CD ROM drives etc) and see if the issue gets resolved.

If you still have the traces with you, I could take a look at them and confirm.

Thanks,
    Sriram [MSFT]

Monday, March 16, 2009 5:26 AM
  • I have the same problem and have sent you my log file.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 6:34 AM
  • I found two other posts of similar issues.  for one the issue was a misbehaving SD card slot. for the other - chip driver update was missing.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/41d8922b-0ec8-4f84-b5c0-096e4ab70751/
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/d27bb887-462a-4c85-93d2-ce60605aef71/

you can try these to rule any of these problems.
    ------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:37 PM
  • I have the same problem (using an external HDD for backup since Oct. 2008, 'looking for backup devices' problem since about 2 months).

This is how it was solved :   based on the message in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/41d8922b-0ec8-4f84-b5c0-096e4ab70751/ 
    (Answer from Bachmann177 on Friday, August 22, 2008 10:22 AM)
    - removed the Sony Memorystick from the PCMCIA-adapter
    - retried the backup procedure described in the first message of this post
    - the external HDD was found immediately - problem solved

J.M.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Had the same problem all of a sudden after 3 months of daily bachups to a 1TB usb drive.

Couldn't find the removable storage listed in services.msc that I had read on another post.

Simply went to Device manager, disabled the usb drive.  Enabled it.  Problem solved.  I had previously unplugged it and that made no difference.

Hope that helps.
    Friday, September 04, 2009 10:47 AM
  • I spent hours today with Windows Backup hanging on the Create System Image and Change Settings options - turned out it was a new blank SD card I had put in the card reader on the laptop - took it out - all worked fine.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:51 PM
  • I am having the same problem. I want to back up to DVD. I do not have any backup devices connected. I would like to chose "on one or more DVDs" but I can't. I have that box saying "looking for backup devices" and I can not get rid of it.

I have an HP G62, Windows 7 64-bit.

Sunday, July 03, 2011 10:32 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  Win 7 HP with SP1. It's an HP dv7.  I did a backup image, and then it stopped being able to find the drive.  Just hangs on "looking for backup devices."  I have the latest card-slot driver; having a card in it or not doesn't make any difference. Plugging the backup drive into the regular USB2 or the high-speed USB3 jacks makes no difference.  I'm just about out of ideas.

It's nice that MS has finally included a decent backup option - too bad it's so problematic!

Any ideas welcome.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:52 AM