none
WSUS on Winder Server 2008 R2 without AD/GPO

Question

• Hi there,

I have managed to install WSUS on Windows Server 2008 R2 (using Server Manager).  I followed the instruction from TechNet and it was very straight forward.  I used internal database rather than mysql.  Basically, my question is - I can sync with windows update server and it downloaded all the necessary updates.  However; I am unable to populate any of the workstations .  I want to populate them without using GPO but I am unable to do so and I couldn't find the instructions. 

I have done so (without using GPO) in the past on Windows Server 2003 but only difference is that I used mysql server for the database.  As soon as I finished installing all the workstation started populating on the 'All Computers' list.  I didn't had to apply GPO.

I would appreciate any help!

Cheers,
    OxSoz

Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:37 AM

Answers

• However; I am unable to populate any of the workstations .  I want to populate them without using GPO but I am unable to do so and I couldn't find the instructions. 

It's in the documentation.

If you've done it in the past with a WSUS Server on Windows Server 2003 then it's *exactly* the same procedure. It's irrelevant that you used mySQL for the database (and, actually, I'm surprised to hear that worked for you -- I think you're the first who I've heard of actually using something other than a SQL Server database server).

As for this statement:

As soon as I finished installing all the workstation started populating on the 'All Computers' list.  I didn't had to apply GPO.

I can guarantee you it wasn't that simple, and getting clients to register with a WSUS Server has nothing at all to do with the database used or the operating system that WSUS is installed on. Somebody did something to configure the clients to use the WSUS Server.

See the section Configure Clients in a non-Active Directory Environment in the WSUS Deployment Guide.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 4:15 PM

All replies

• However; I am unable to populate any of the workstations .  I want to populate them without using GPO but I am unable to do so and I couldn't find the instructions. 

It's in the documentation.

If you've done it in the past with a WSUS Server on Windows Server 2003 then it's *exactly* the same procedure. It's irrelevant that you used mySQL for the database (and, actually, I'm surprised to hear that worked for you -- I think you're the first who I've heard of actually using something other than a SQL Server database server).

As for this statement:

As soon as I finished installing all the workstation started populating on the 'All Computers' list.  I didn't had to apply GPO.

I can guarantee you it wasn't that simple, and getting clients to register with a WSUS Server has nothing at all to do with the database used or the operating system that WSUS is installed on. Somebody did something to configure the clients to use the WSUS Server.

See the section Configure Clients in a non-Active Directory Environment in the WSUS Deployment Guide.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Thanks for your reply and link Lawrence.  Sorry, my mistake it was actually SQL Server 2008 I used for WSUS.  I will follow the link and see if I can make it work without GPO.

Cheers,
    OxSoz

Friday, August 06, 2010 8:34 AM