none
Cannot Add Roles or Features on Windows server 2008 R2 Service Pack1

Question

• I cannot add roles or features on windows server 2008 r2 service pack 1.  I am getting the following error.

Unexpected error refreshing Server Manager: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.  (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422)

For more information, see the event log: Diagnostic, Event Viewer, Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, Server Manager, Operational.

I looked at this log and it gave the following.

Could not discover the state of the system. An unexpected exception was found:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070422): The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.CreateSessionAndPackage(IntPtr& session, IntPtr& package)

at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.InitializeUpdateInfo()

at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.Initialize()

at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Common.Provider.RefreshDiscovery()

at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.LocalResult.PerformDiscovery()

at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.CreateLocalResult(RefreshType refreshType)

at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.InternalRefreshModelResult(Object state)

Then I downloaded the system update readiness tool and it gave me the result of
    Summary:
    Seconds executed: 1877
     No errors detected
    (w) Unable to get system disk properties 0x0000045D IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY Disk Cache

Please help.

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

At first, you need to make sure your Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is up-to-date. In other words, your server had installed the updates from Windows Update.

Then I suggest that you could use Windows PowerShell with evaluated rights to reproduce the issue:

Import-Module ServerManager
    Get-WindowsFeature
    Add-WindowsFeature -Name "The Feature Name" -Verbose

At first, you need to import the ServerManager for Windows feature installation, then you need to use Get-WindowsFeature to get the name of the feature you would like to install, at last, you need to run Add-WindowsFeature with "-Verbose" parameter to reproduce the issue and post back the error message you have received.

Of course, you could look into the %windir%\logs\CBS, then use notepad to open the cbs.log to verify whether there are some related errors or warnings included or not during the time of issue occurred.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:29 AM

All replies

• Mikey,

Can you check if the "Windows Modules Installer" is not disabled?

Info from this service: "Enables installation, modification, and removal of Windows updates and optional components. If this service is disabled, install or uninstall of Windows updates might fail for this computer".

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Jer0en,

That service was disabled.  I enabled it but there is no change on the seeing the Roles or Features.  The error remains, or am I to perform another step?

Thanks,

Mikey

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Hi,

At first, you need to make sure your Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is up-to-date. In other words, your server had installed the updates from Windows Update.

Then I suggest that you could use Windows PowerShell with evaluated rights to reproduce the issue:

Import-Module ServerManager
    Get-WindowsFeature
    Add-WindowsFeature -Name "The Feature Name" -Verbose

At first, you need to import the ServerManager for Windows feature installation, then you need to use Get-WindowsFeature to get the name of the feature you would like to install, at last, you need to run Add-WindowsFeature with "-Verbose" parameter to reproduce the issue and post back the error message you have received.

Of course, you could look into the %windir%\logs\CBS, then use notepad to open the cbs.log to verify whether there are some related errors or warnings included or not during the time of issue occurred.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:29 AM
  • James,

That worked, thanks for your help.

Mikey

Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:32 PM
  • James,

That worked, thanks for your help.

Mikey