none
Difference between Remote App and Click Once

Question

• Hi,

I wanted to know which strategy is good Remote App or Click Once...

If anyone can provide link where i can find comparison of both?

Thanks

Ravi

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 10:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Ravi,

With ClickOnce a .net application is deployed to a client PC, and is executed directly on the PC, using the PC's local CPU, RAM, etc.  Think of it as a way to install/update a .net application on a PC.  It is built for .net applications, however, it is technically possible to have a clickonce .net app launch an unmanaged app.

With RemoteApp the application is not installed on a client PC.  The application is installed and runs on a Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2 machine, and the application's screens as well as the end user's mouse/keystrokes are remoted to/from the client PC using RDP protocol.  The application appears to be running on the client PC, however, it is actually running on the server inside of a Remote Desktop Services/Terminal Services session.

In order to advise you on which to use I would need to know much more about the app, your technical requirements/goals, your business goals present/future, how many users you intend to serve now and in the future, etc.

-TP

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Ravi,

With ClickOnce a .net application is deployed to a client PC, and is executed directly on the PC, using the PC's local CPU, RAM, etc.  Think of it as a way to install/update a .net application on a PC.  It is built for .net applications, however, it is technically possible to have a clickonce .net app launch an unmanaged app.

With RemoteApp the application is not installed on a client PC.  The application is installed and runs on a Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2 machine, and the application's screens as well as the end user's mouse/keystrokes are remoted to/from the client PC using RDP protocol.  The application appears to be running on the client PC, however, it is actually running on the server inside of a Remote Desktop Services/Terminal Services session.

In order to advise you on which to use I would need to know much more about the app, your technical requirements/goals, your business goals present/future, how many users you intend to serve now and in the future, etc.

-TP

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Thanks TP,

I am very much clear with Click Once Deployment

I have few doubts related to Remote App and would like to know more about it.

1. I have crystal reports,word Interop etc in my .NET Application.So, Is it required to have crystal report runtime and Micsrosoft Office on each workstation or not?
    2. I also have some XML files in my Application.Now Are there chances of dead lock?? Because more than one user can use same XML file at same time.

Thanks,

Ravi

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Hi Ravi,

1. No, it is not required to have crystal, word, etc., on each workstation.  The reason for this is that your .net application as well as any word will be running on the RDS server.  To comply with office licensing you will need a Office volume license for each device that runs word or any other office app via RemoteApp.

2. Each user should have a separate copy of any XML files that will be modified to avoid multi-user issues.  XML files are not designed to be multi-user read/write database.  Perhaps if the XML files rarely change you could devise a system that could work, however, my recommendation would be to use a multi-user database instead like sql server express or similar.

-TP

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Hi Ravi,

1. No, it is not required to have crystal, word, etc., on each workstation.  The reason for this is that your .net application as well as any word will be running on the RDS server.  To comply with office licensing you will need a Office volume license for each device that runs word or any other office app via RemoteApp.

2. Each user should have a separate copy of any XML files that will be modified to avoid multi-user issues.  XML files are not designed to be multi-user read/write database.  Perhaps if the XML files rarely change you could devise a system that could work, however, my recommendation would be to use a multi-user database instead like sql server express or similar.

-TP

Thanks...

Now,I got to know about Remote App

Thank you very much

Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:47 AM