none
2k3 SVR - service start problems

Question

• Hi,

I patched our win2k3 server this morning with all patches released over the last three months.

Upon reboot, the WWW publishing service refuses to start with error "Could not start the world wide web publishing service on Local Computer. Error 1363: Cannot start a new logon session with an ID that is already in use".

Googling led me to check the BITS service which is also not starting. This is throwing error -2147023533, and when I try to start either the BITS or WWWPub services in the security event log I get:

Logon Failure:

Reason: An error occurred during logon

User Name: -

Domain: -

Logon Type: 5

Logon Process: Advapi

Authentication Package: Negotiate

Workstation Name: -

Status code: 0xC00000EE

Substatus code: 0xC00000EE

Caller User Name: snip$

Caller Domain: snip

Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)

Caller Process ID: 9148

Transited Services: -

Source Network Address: -

Source Port: -

In my searching it was suggested that I re-register a couple BITS DLLs (qmgr.dll and qmgrprxy.dll and reboot) but this has not helped.

I'm stumped.

There are a couple other services that will not also start (some using the NETWORK SERVICE account, such as RPC locator, and these services respond to start attends with 'error 1068 service could not start due to a logon failure').  Other NETWORK SERVICE account services set to auto start at boot have started at boot however.

Bizzarrely, in the MMC services snapin when looking at a services' properties, all services appear to have no dependences or services that depend on it (i.e. it looks like no services depend on each other).

OS is running and no other errors are coming up in the event logs.

I've checked the real time clock and the server is getting time sync (heard this could be an issue). Also, the server is not in a domain (member server) and is not a DC. It does have two NICs and the MS loopback adapter installed, but only one NIC is physically connected. It's running SQL server, some AV, and a process app that thas not been changed of recent.

The patches installed immediately before the reboot were:

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security
    Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2719985)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security
    Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2724197)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2653956)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Cumulative
    Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2003 (KB2761465)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2655992)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2659262)

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003
    R2 x86 (KB2742604)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Update
    Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2003 (KB2736233)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2758857)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2753842)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2705219)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2676562)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2691442)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2685939)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Update for
    Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (KB2798897)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Update for
    Windows Server 2003 (KB2749655)

Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 2 (KB2758696)

Windows Server 2003 (KB2748349)

Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2003 (KB2799329)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2727528)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2712808)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2686509)

Windows Server 2003 (KB2779562)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2779030)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2698365)

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB2770660)

Windows Server 2003 (KB2661254)

Any help and assistance you can offer me would be greatly appreciated. This is a production server with a very specific setup and function and I am loathe to rebuild or restore this.

Kind regards,

Andrew

• Edited by -AJC- Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:11 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:10 AM

All replies

• Doesn't sound too good. Have you restarted it again?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:15 AM
  • I've done one reboot after it came back up from the patche installation reboot (and after I registered the qmgr.dll). Still the same.
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:49 AM