none
Having problem with physical memory on windows server 2008 R2

Question

• Im having problems with my physical memory... is already up to 88% and I'm only using SharePoint And SQL..

Sharepoint Services 2010 administrator @ INtrade

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Im having problems with my physical memory... is already up to 88% and I'm only using SharePoint And SQL..

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Very little or no problem description ! Can you elaborate the problem ?

SQL at times consumes large portion of the memory on the server depending on the queries which comes to it !

What's the total RAM available on the server ? is it a physical machine or the virtual one ? Whats the swap file size on the server ? Did you check if there's any memory leak on the server ? Do you see any memory related errors or warnings in the event viewer ?

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:43 PM
  • Ok , Here are the details : 

My phisical Memory is getting above 94%  and this is what the resource monitor is showing , I don't how Can I solve this.

Its 8GB of RAM,It;'s a physical machine  ,  I don't know , nope and  no , there is no related physical memory errors.

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Right click on the taskbar in the GUI of server 2008 r2 then choose task manager. From there click on performance then resource monitor. In resource monitor, you'll be able to see what is hogging resources.

In resource monitor, click the memory tab. Under processes you'll see what process(es) is using so much memory. Find it then end the process if you can.

Let me know if this helps.
    Friday, March 22, 2013 4:53 PM
  • There's no easy answer or fix, you need to troubleshoot the issue in depth

Following might help

Using Resource Monitor to Troubleshoot Windows Performance Issues

Use Resource Monitor for memory monitoring

Umdhtools.exe: How to use Umdh.exe to find memory leaks

Identifying and Plugging Memory Leak in Windows

SQL Server – What Every SharePoint Administrator Should Know

SQL 2008R2 64 bit - is using 90% of system RAM - Is this normal?

sql takes too much ram

Optimizing Server Performance Using Memory Configuration Options

SQLServer using too much memory

Also,

Best Practices for Setting Up Page File and Minimum Drive Size Required for OS Partition on Windows Servers

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Friday, March 22, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Ok, I think I will try a reboot to see how it goess..

Friday, March 22, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Hello Cesar,

This is not a abnormal condition, this is common behavior of the server on which the SQL is running. No matter how much memory you put in a system, SQL Server will use all it can get until it’s caching entire databases in memory and then some.  This isn’t an accident, and there’s a good reason for it. 

SQL Server's memory manager is designed to keep as much data cached in memory as it can in order to speed up access for incoming queries.

• In order to work successfully with other processes on the machine, SQL Server will release memory when a low- memory notification is sent by Windows. 
    • The memory may be committed by the SQL Server process, but it will be released if another application requests enough to trip the low-memory notification.

So if you see that SQL is consuming more memory, please don't think this as abnormal, this is very normal behavior by design.

If you want to restrict memory to the SQL, then i can give you a step by step procedure on how to do this:

Follow below steps to restrict amount of memory to SQL:

• From SQL Server 2005 Management Studio:
      • Open the server properties by right-clicking on the server name in the tree. Select Memory > Server memory options.
      • A limit for minimum and maximum can be configured.
    • From a client connection, issue this command:
      • sp_configure 'max server memory', <mb setting> reconfigure

You should see a rapid decline in the amount of memory used by the SQL Server process.

I can also give you the KB article for you reference http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321363?wa=wsignin1.0

Please Note

• These changes affect the resources available for SQL.
    • New memory settings require restarting SQL Server services.

Regards, Prakash Nimmala Skype : Prakash.Nimmala Email ID : prakash.nimmala@hotmail.com Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:24 PM
  • HI,

i have Same Problem in my SharePoint Server 2010 :14.0.6129.5000

Is There common Issue with SharePoint 2010 + Windows Server R2 ? SharePoint Server utilize more then 70% of memory uses.

so i have to tried IIreset and timer services restart . then memery showing 50% of uses but i have seen also . CPU uses only 0% to 30 % 

Server A   CPU uses 0 % to 50 %  physical memory 70%+ APP

Server B   CPU uses 0 % to 50 %  physical memory 50%+ WFE

Server C   CPU uses 0 % to 50 %  physical memory 70%+ WFE Search Index

hey all my Admin guys . please suggest me for Memory Issue. 

Deepesh Yevle - MCTS MCITP

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:37 PM