none
Windows 7 Roaming Profiles (AppData) Roaming

Question

• Hey all,

We have setup folder redirection in group policy to redirect all folders. If we redirect AppData (roaming) which will be available offline does this mean we still need to set the user profile path for each user in Active Directory?

Regards,

Mark
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

In Windows 7, User Profile path is C:\User\UserName and AppData(roaming) path is C:\User\UserName\Appdata\Roaming. AppData is part of User Profile.

But you could configure them separately. You could configure User Profile path in ADUC as \\server\profiles\UserName and configure AppDate as \\server\AddData. It depends on your business requirement.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Mark Bayliss Wednesday, December 09, 2009 8:46 PM
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:25 AM
  • Hi Mark,
     Also keep in mind that configuring the profile location in Active Directory will also redirect the user's registry so the two mechanisms are not identical.

Thansk,
    Guy
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

In Windows 7, User Profile path is C:\User\UserName and AppData(roaming) path is C:\User\UserName\Appdata\Roaming. AppData is part of User Profile.

But you could configure them separately. You could configure User Profile path in ADUC as \\server\profiles\UserName and configure AppDate as \\server\AddData. It depends on your business requirement.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:25 AM
  • Hi Mark,
     Also keep in mind that configuring the profile location in Active Directory will also redirect the user's registry so the two mechanisms are not identical.

Thansk,
    Guy
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Sigh, I am posting this here because you seem to know what you are talking about and I am having a terrible time getting straight answers. If you want me to open a new thread let me know.

I have a VERY complex Access application. Which we have installed in c:\program files\myapp since 1999 (We avoided Vista). UAC ruins this for us in Win 7. We delete files in that directory and copy updates from directly the server whcih is no longer allowed in C:\program files.

We want 1 common install for ALL users on each computer. Every user must have FULL read/write/delete/create/copy acces to the directory.

Where do we install?

I have been told off the root but that seems insane to me and I have also been told that is going away.

I have been told c:\Users\All Users\Appdata but I cannot find that directory on my Win 7.

What do I do?

Thanks for your help,
    Kim
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Hi Kim,

Please open a new thread to avoid confusion. Your question is different from the original one.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:15 AM