none
How to create a package using a Installshield Silent Install?

Question

• I recently got a silent install for some projection software from Epson (Epson EMP NS Connection) to deploy to clients in our system. The install is several files that I have placed on the distribution share with other software packages that are working. I'm just curious as to the steps of creating a non MSI package. It has a setup.exe and has other files in the folder that scipts the install to be completey silent. Anyone know a good place I can look for a how-to/tutorial on setting up non MSI packages?

Thanks, Jay

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:15 PM

Answers

• Yes in the command line you would have "setup.exe -s -sms" and that will work.

Set the other SCCM options the same as what you are use to "Normal."

Just treat it like any other kind of install.  Add "Supress" to the adv if you want, anything you normally do.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:00 PM

All replies

• The best place is the creator of the software or Appdeploy.com.

Most of the time they will tell you to install silent use /s or /quiet and they will have a command switch to add settings such as x.ini.  I have found the sometimes you can extract the MSI out of the EXE and use that.  If there are other settings that must be manually copied over then create a chain of programs and use CMD files to move the files or force registry changes.  Admin studio can also run a before and after snapshot and help create an MSI for you if you want to.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:37 PM
  • Usually when I run into non-MSI InstallShield setup's I record the setup into an .iss.

You can do that with most InstallShield setup's with the following steps.

1. Run the setup.exe on a test system with setup.exe -r. This will record your responses into an iss file.
    2. The setup.iss file will be copied to c:\windows. Copy it and put it into the same directory as your setup.exe.
    3. On another test system run setup.exe -s to observe the setup. You may notice the installation is completely silent and invisible... beyond unattended. Smile I usually monitor with task manager to see that the process is moving along.
    4. You may also need to add a -SMS parameter.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:42 PM
  • The manufacturer of the software sent me a silent install that already has a scripted ini file that makes it silent. I'm just curious as to how the setup in SCCM differs when creating a package inside of SCCM using a standard .exe setup file instead of an .msi file. Under the program properties for the package I create, for instance would I have something like "setup.exe -s -sms" in the command line field? And what if any other options should I look at setting up? 

Jay

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Yes in the command line you would have "setup.exe -s -sms" and that will work.

Set the other SCCM options the same as what you are use to "Normal."

Just treat it like any other kind of install.  Add "Supress" to the adv if you want, anything you normally do.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Cool beans, thanks Matt.

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:19 PM